Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poohsfolks

Passing of Erk Russell

10 posts in this topic

All of us in the Georgia Southern family mourn the loss of Coach Erk Russell. Words can't describe what he meant to the school and the Statesboro community. A very sad day in Eagle Nation.

My first couple of years at Southern were Coach Russell's last coaching. He will always be the face of GSU football, and they will always be Erk's team.

Very sad indeed. He pretty much built that football program down there.

Id like to know how many were in attendance at our first game for the memorial of Erk Russell at halftime. I have never see the stadium that packed and Ive been to every game in the last 4 years except for maybe 2 or 3. Even most of the grass areas were PACKED. I would say at least around 30,000. Maybe Im wrong, but it looked like a very large crowd.

Id like to know how many were in attendance at our first game for the memorial of Erk Russell at halftime. I have never see the stadium that packed and Ive been to every game in the last 4 years except for maybe 2 or 3. Even most of the grass areas were PACKED. I would say at least around 30,000. Maybe Im wrong, but it looked like a very large crowd.

I listened to the game on the radio, and the announcers said attendance was about 25,000. I never heard a specific number, but the 25,000 figure was repeated several times.

Well Ive been to a few games with 25,000 in attendance, but they didnt have anything on last weekends crowd, like the first game of last year was like 24,430 i think. I guess theyll tell us when they tally it up.

Well Ive been to a few games with 25,000 in attendance, but they didnt have anything on last weekends crowd, like the first game of last year was like 24,430 i think. I guess theyll tell us when they tally it up.

The official game boxscore shows the attendance on Saturday was 20,178

I remember the '89 national championship game against Stephen F. Austin. That was our 15-0 season; a year when we just killed everybody we played. That championship game was the largest crowd I ever saw at Paulson Stadium, nearly 26,000. The crowd completely covered the areas behind both end zones. That was a record attendance both for the stadium and for the national championship game. It was really an enormous crowd, probably too many for the place to realistically accomodate.

The official game boxscore shows the attendance on Saturday was 20,178

I remember the '89 national championship game against Stephen F. Austin. That was our 15-0 season; a year when we just killed everybody we played. That championship game was the largest crowd I ever saw at Paulson Stadium, nearly 26,000. The crowd completely covered the areas behind both end zones. That was a record attendance both for the stadium and for the national championship game. It was really an enormous crowd, probably too many for the place to realistically accomodate.

That's amazing. Georgia Southern fans are among the best in the nation, IMO (no, I didn't go there).

Well maybe its just because I havent been to a GSU football game in almost a year, it just seemed crowded. Im sure next weeks will be very empty after that extreme disappointment against "central conn" - like who even knew conneticut had a central part.... whats next? North Tennesee University? or Southeast Rhode Island State University. Im mean come on, what an embarrassment last weekend. I do know though that that number is not accurate in the least tho, because there were these new little teenagers trying to do the counting and they missed a whole group of people in front of me who didnt even get IDed, and then the Supervisor got on to them. They looked dumb.

What's really bad is ya'll got beat by a football team from Connecticut!!! :D