Johnny Rockets

monsoon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might not be Charlotte, it might be Johnny Rockets.

There was a Johnny Rockets in Seattle 1995-1996 in the Capitol Hill area, which is always vibrant with pedestrians. It closed too, after just a year~~~

It's a cool restaurant, and I used to enjoy eating there. Seems like a tenuous chain doesn't it?

They have just opened a new location in a star-crossed building on Connecticut Avenue in downtown Washington. Nothing in that space has ever worked, so when this one goes, I will not be surprised. As for the food and singing, most places which try to combine the two only manage to be irritating. I don't predict a long life for this location.

Oh Johnny Rockets... this is not good.

A few years ago we had one proposed for the Boardwalk here, but they backed out and the franchisee said he was going to open a different franchise in this area. I believe that ended up being Fatburger but I'm unsure. Anyway, since I had heard they were coming, I stopped and ate at the location in Katy Mills, in suburban Houston, and LOVED it. Very nice diner-style atmosphere and great burgers.

I wonder if the entire chain is in trouble? I certainly hope not.

Forgetting the singing and being yelled at when you walk in the door, I think its 2 biggest problems are cost and average to poor food. Buy two hamburgers and an order of onion rings to share, and you have spent 20 bucks. And it's medoacre food at best. It's an insult to the onion ring when by comparing that greesy soggy mess that you get from Johnny Rockets to the very excellent onion rings that Charlotteans can get at South 21 (real 50s diner).

Forgetting the singing and being yelled at when you walk in the door, I think its 2 biggest problems are cost and average to poor food. Buy two hamburgers and an order of onion rings to share, and you have spent 20 bucks. And it's medoacre food at best. It's an insult to the onion ring when by comparing that greesy soggy mess that you get from Johnny Rockets to the very excellent onion rings that Charlotteans can get at South 21 (real 50s diner).

The cost is no different than other successful chains, like Fatburger and Cheeburger Cheeburger to name a couple.

And how the food tastes is a matter of opinion. What guy "a" thinks is nasty, guy "b" might love. I think Johnny Rockets has great food... how many diners do you know that don't serve greasy, soggy food? It's part of the diner experience. Plus, Johnny Rockets has "the look" as far as diners go, with the stainless steel decor and the little jukeboxes on the tables.

I could've sworn there was a short-lived Johnny Rockets somewhere in the Ballantyne area

The one at Rosedale was the only one listed in NC. If there was one in Ballantyne it didn't last long as I remember the Rosedale one being the first for the state and that was less than 6 years ago. I guess they just didn't have the sales here to last in this market. Their food is pretty bad now that I think about it. The only other one I know about in the Carolinas is in Myrtle Beach.

The one at Rosedale was the only one listed in NC. If there was one in Ballantyne it didn't last long as I remember the Rosedale one being the first for the state and that was less than 6 years ago. I guess they just didn't have the sales here to last in this market. Their food is pretty bad now that I think about it. The only other one I know about in the Carolinas is in Myrtle Beach.

I don't think it ever opened. I remember seeing a sign in the Stonecrest shopping center saying that J.R. was "coming soon". Then one day it was gone. This was 2-3 years ago. I guess the deal fell through? Anyone know for sure?

I could've sworn there was a short-lived Johnny Rockets somewhere in the Ballantyne area

Could you possibly be thinking of Red Robin? Every time I pass that one in Ballantyne it reminds me of Johnny Rockets. Not sure why but I think it the sign. They have a similar look.

But hey.....Red Robins burgers are incredibly good!!!

There are lot's of specialty burger places in Ballentyne right now - and they're always busy.

Five Guys

Red Robins

Texas (Something or another)

are three that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm always suprised how many restaurants are there, they probably do reasonably well with that huge office park and lot's of residential around. The four corners is traffic hell most hours of the day.

I don't think it ever opened. I remember seeing a sign in the Stonecrest shopping center saying that J.R. was "coming soon". Then one day it was gone. This was 2-3 years ago. I guess the deal fell through? Anyone know for sure?

Yeah taht's what happened. It was at Stonecrest saying "JR Coming Soon" but i too guess that the deal fell through

There was a Johnny's in the Five Points South district of Birmingham that has since closed. We went there once in high school, but never went back because of poor food and poor service. I can't say the same for others, but my inital Johnny's experience was so bad, I have not been back to one since...

I thought the Charlotte area franchisee for Johnny Rockets bought 3 franchise rights. One for Hville which opened, another for Piper Glen which as stated above became nothing more than a "coming soon" sign in Stonecrest for a looong time next to Chick-Fil-A until it finally became something else. There were also rumors that the 3rd location would be Uptown but that one stayed at just rumors. I guess I've just never had the desire to visit a JR.

Archived