Brad Pitt comes out for marriage equality

Charlotteman

Brad Pitt says he will marry his partner Angelina Jolie only when marriage is legal for everyone. I find this refreshing, coming from a prominent hetero hunk like Brad.

What's the state of equal matrimony in your state? Any apparent treads?

Washington State's high court recently ruled against gay marriage 5-4. It's appeal is already underway, and the backers are more confident this time around.

oops, supposed to read: any apparent trends?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlize Theron and Stuart Townsend have also made similar pledges . While most celebrities act of out their own self interest I think statements such as this are helpful and make our cause more visible to straight fans of these stars. I also don't see gay marriage happening in NC any time in the forseeable future. That being said, those of us in favor of marriage equality should take heart in the fact that NC is the only Southern state has successfully blocked a marriage bill amending the state const. from even getting out of cmt several years in a row. We have been lucky that the few Democrats that support us in this state have been in positions to block it. This may change in November :unsure:

I find it kind of worthless that Brad Pitt is speaking out for marriage equality. He's already been married and divorced, therefore he (IMO) has already crapped on the "sanctity" of marriage. So who is he to say anything about marriage in the first place? I don't think anyone against the gay marriage cause will give a dam that he is for it for exactly this reason. Nonetheless, it is a nice gesture.

Normally I wouldn't give a damn how celebrities view things, but this instance seems different to me. Brad Pitt making a public pronouncement like this seems very sweet, very full of humanity. Doesn't seem self-serving to me at all.

Years ago Garth Brooks came out as a "f*g stag" and a serious supporter of equality for all peoples. So has Cybil Shepard and many many other celebrities.

But let's face it, Brad is one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. He's known and admired all over the world, and this makes his statement of support even more special.

oh by the way, for those who aren't familiar with this expression, a "f*g stag" is a hetero guy who enjoys socializing with gay men as much if not more than other hetero guys.

^ I agree that he was most likely sincere. But it won't mean a thing to most Americans who already view Hollywood as a place of decayed morals. These actors I think mean well, but sometimes they just need to stay quiet for the good of the cause. No one will care. A couple of rednecks will probably rag on Brad Pitt and it'll be finished. I like Garth Brooks doing what he did though. See that's what is needed: a real man's man type redneck. A country singer, not like Willie Nelson, but a Hank Williams, Jr., type coming out in support of gay marriage. That would change the minds of many people.

NC is actually one of the handful of states that has not passed a constitutional ban on Gay marriage.

South Carolina has not passed one either, and we will be the first state to defeat such an amendment in November.

^ I agree that he was most likely sincere. But it won't mean a thing to most Americans who already view Hollywood as a place of decayed morals. These actors I think mean well, but sometimes they just need to stay quiet for the good of the cause. No one will care. A couple of rednecks will probably rag on Brad Pitt and it'll be finished. I like Garth Brooks doing what he did though. See that's what is needed: a real man's man type redneck. A country singer, not like Willie Nelson, but a Hank Williams, Jr., type coming out in support of gay marriage. That would change the minds of many people.

Garth has actually publicly stated that his sister is a lesbian and he has been very supportive of her. I have alot of respect for both Garth and Brad.

Archived