Winter on the way

Snowguy716

A frost advisory has been issued by the NWS with temperatures around northern MN expected to be near or just below freezing tonight. It has been chilly today.. and temperatures have not broken 51*F in Duluth. It is clearing up though and with very dry air, high pressure, clear skies, and no wind, temperatures will be on a downward spiral.

This is pretty early for a first frost. Average is about September 15th-20th for my city. This will definitely shock the trees further into color, and we will likely have a very early fall color season this year, as trees are already turning due to drought stress.

Winter is on its way, though. The Farmer's Almanac (not always accurate, but fun to look at) is calling for a much colder winter than average across the plains and upper midwest with above normal snowfall... we need it! Of course, the climate prediction center predicts a warm winter with equal chances on precip....

I'll just hope for normal. (As an avid downhill skier, I always hope for a snowy winter... and 2003/04 and 04/05 were snowier than normal. 05/06 ended very snowy, but I was gone)...can we continue the trend?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love winter! I can't wait for it! :yahoo: It's the time of year when everyone else stays inside and I am out taking pics, it's the best time to do that! And Richmond, I hope we get a lot of snow this year. Snow has been avoiding us lately, and we used to get much more. It seems like there is a dome over the city, where it can snow... deep... in either direction from the city. And it is so hard to predict snow here. We could be looking at 8-10" of snow and get 4" of sleet... and boy I hate that! Or we can have a foot predicted and we get a dusting. Then the region, the west and north part of the city can see a decent amount of snow while the south and east parts get rain. It's the most challenging thing for meteorlogists here. Man I hate the rain/snow line! A lot of times there is no inbetween... like one day I went into Target (Dec 19, 2004, I believe) and it was raining when I went in. Then it started thundering and I know I had to have spent no more than fifteen minutes there and when i came out everyone's cars were covered with snow and it was coming down heavily. On my journey to my side of town, the streets became white (I have pics from this... I'll need to check the date) and we had just a few inches of surprise snow.

And blizzards! People always focus on the northeast, as if we don't get anything in Virginia... unless they do count us (hint , hint). I remember being on spring break in March when the "Storm of the Century" came up the coast in 1993. That gave us a decent amount of snow. The Blizzard of 1996, I remember its first flakes and then it just plopped on us. My school hardly let out for snow, but I was out of school for a week. We had snow piles around from January to April! Then the back to back storms in 2000 dropped a foot and more over Richmond and southward. We had about a foot in Fredericksburg after both storms. Then after that it's been skimpy... so we're due! And I know y'all northernah are like... a foot? Just a foot? HAHA! I love it because unlike you, we stop and act like we're doing to die while life goes on all winter!

My school district was famous for NOT letting us out for school. I distinctly remember it being -60*F with windchill and a fresh 8-10" of snow being on the roads one morning.. and the bus came on time at 7:04am.. sliding around a bit, but on time, nonetheless.

The worst winter I remember was by far 1995/96. We had record cold (down to -60*F air temp!).. we also had record early snow (September 21st) and had a deep snowpack until April 20th or so. Numerous blizzards that winter caused a lot of problems and the ice didn't clear off our lake until May 7th.. a record late date. I remember a few days later the governor was due up for walleye opener.. and there was ice on the lake he was supposed to fish on.. luckily it cleared off in the mean time.

Well, at 10:06am, it's overcast and 53*F here in Collegeville, MN. Bemidji got down to freezing last night (Saturday morning) with Hibbing, MN coming in at 24*F. Yesterday reached the low 60s with sunny skies... today will be much the same with a wonderful fall airmass over the region.

No snow in the forecast though :) At least not for another month. (Although it did snow on October 1st in 2004).

I can't wait for winter, I LOVE SNOW!! However, where I live now we don't get very much (on average about 8 inches all winter, even though we've had our moments.) We didn't get any last year, but had an 18 incher the winter before!

I used to live in the NC Mountains, and we got 36 inches from the "Blizzard of 93" and in Jan. of 98 when I lived across the state line in TN we got 38 inches overnight. I miss that.

I loathe winter! I also am not a big fan of Fall b/c I hate losing daylight. Later this upcoming week down here they are predicting that our low's Fri/Sat morning could be in the upper 60's (highs still around 90) and since we've not been that low since April or May, I'd say the seasons ARE beginning to change even this far south.

I was at the top of Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina last weekend and the high on Saturday was a chilly 53. Of course it helps this is the highest point in eastern North America. I am sure they have already had frost at night there by now. 30 miles away it was a balmy and humid 85 and the rest of NC probably won't see any frost until the 1st or 2nd week of November. (which is good because I've got more boating to do)

i have mixed feelings about winter. i like going ice fishing and stuff like that, but i hate gong outside in the snow to wait for the bus.

it was a crisp day in the 60's here in Mid-Michigan. I freaked out when i went outside and had leafs falling on me. bye bye summer. Its supposed to be warmer later this week though. I cant wait til i can stop mowing the lawn , too Grdadof3.lol

Having lived in Seattle...I enjoy 9 months of rain and 3 months of sun :)

I like having the temps always in that 45F to 75F degree range.

In Seattle, snow is always 1-2 hours away.

Thankfully the Fall months are pretty nice here in west Michigan. It does not nasty cold until January...usually.

Sunday, 6:00pm

Temp: 52*F

Overcast/drizzle

Breezy

August gave September a miss and went right for October.

Ironically, 160 miles north in Bemidji, it's 66*F and sunny.

Wow, that's a bit too cold for me. It's supposed to be 90 here towards the end of the week, but the lows are finally in the 60s. I just hope it's not like last year, when I wore shorts on New Years Eve. :angry:

I was at the top of Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina last weekend and the high on Saturday was a chilly 53. Of course it helps this is the highest point in eastern North America. I am sure they have already had frost at night there by now. 30 miles away it was a balmy and humid 85 and the rest of NC probably won't see any frost until the 1st or 2nd week of November. (which is good because I've got more boating to do)

According to the weather station (right below the observation deck) @ Mt. Mitchell, the summit has experienced some snow (which includes flurries) in each and every month of the year (yes that includes August :shok: )!!! Take that to your next Trivia Pursuit Match-up! :)

Me love some SNOW!!!

Currently it is in the Upper 40's right now and they had a high only in the mid-50's

http://littleswitzerlandweather.info/Mitchell.html

(Fall is already approching the Mountains...YEAH !!! :) )

A2

According to the weather station (right below the observation deck) @ Mt. Mitchell, the summit has experienced some snow (which includes flurries) in each and every month of the year (yes that includes August :shok: )!!! Take that to your next Trivia Pursuit Match-up! :)

The first question I'd fail is "Where is Mt. Mitchell? :lol: (I know where it is now though)

I'm with you dtown. Honey Crisp apples are out now. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Just to get some mood going, I figured I would post one of my favorite shots of a Mountain not so far away from home.

Good ol' Grandfather. Only 88 miles (as the crow flies) from Center City Charlotte.

Kind of makes you ready for Fall, eh?

w-Grandfather_Mountain-10-17-01.jpg

And Charlotte from the summit.

weathClmtpic.gif

Despite being a northern state, I have to say Rhode Island is pathetic when it comes to snow. 4-6 inches is enough for people to freak out, close work and schools all over. Not to mention half the time when we get noreasters it ends up being mostly rain and sleet since we're so coastal.

Ahh yes, the NC Apple Festival was over labor day weekend in Hendersonville, (about 3000 ft elevation) I bought a bag of fresh Honey Crisp apples. They are great.

I wish they were available year-round, but I guess the scarcity makes them all the better. Our local grocer runs out of them the day they get their shipment in.

Thanks for the beautiful mountain pics A2!

Archived