Chinese

ewt

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese restaurant in Raleigh? Please don't say Neo China (and defintely not PF Changs) because I find that they cater to the American clientele a little too much instead of being completely authentic. Anyone? I've lived here 2 years and I still haven't found a place that's really good.

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duck and Dumpling next to Moore Square. Its more pan-Asian but is shoulders above most Asian restaurants in the Triangle (Penang and Jujube's in Chapel Hill excluded). I work with a fair share of Chinese people and they go to a couple of places in Durham (one off Guess Rd. and another one on the corner of Garrett and University).

Duck and Dumpling next to Moore Square. Its more pan-Asian but is shoulders above most Asian restaurants in the Triangle (Penang and Jujube's in Chapel Hill excluded).

Thank you for your recommendation! If you (or anyone else) know any strictly Chinese places, that would be great too. I know Pao Lim is great for fusion Asian cooking and I have tried Penang (both here and in other cities) for Malaysian. Never tried Jujube's though, so maybe I'll have to make the drive. I would definitely love to find a local spot though.

Anyway, thanks!

Over the last 10 years my appetite for chinese food has almost vanished; mainly due to the parade of "B" and "C" sanitation grades so many of these places repeatedly earn.

Don't go to any of the Mexican places then-I feel the same way you do as I have not stepped foot in a Mexican establishment in about 2 years. They repeatedly get "C's" and make no effort to improve.

^^

Red Palace: 3945 New Bern Ave., Raleigh

All my Chinese friends from work and school took me there on numerous occasions, because they say it's the most authentic Chinese food you can find in the area. If you go there with a group of Chinese people get ready to be floored by spicy stuff.

Definitely try Five Star. Anyplace else is competing for 2nd place.

Five Star is a fun place, but I don't really think it's "authentic"...maybe more trendy. I do like the place from the couple times I've visited.

As for Korean food--I'm not sure if Waba on Hillsborough Street is still open. Also a place named Vit Goal near the 54/55 intersection near RTP is supposed to be very good. Check out the chowhound reviews..just google "vit goal chowhound"...and this should find some results. I think Chosun OK is decent as well.

I favor 5-Star for overall experience, but think Peking Garden (same owner as Codys on Glenwood) is by far the best food. I want to say they have an Indy award hanging on their wall but am not sure. Peking is much much much better than even Codys because they limited the menu at Codys, but Peking has a two or three page authentic menu separate from the 'american' chinese options...it is located in the Colony shopping center at Six Forks and Millbrook Roads.

Unfortuantely the Website doesn't list the authentic menu.

Are there any Korean places in the Triangle area? I know of that place at 55/54, it was there when I left. Are there any others?

There is a great, authentic Korean restaurant in the shopping center off NC 55 just south of its interchange with 40. It's in the shopping center in the northeast corner of the 54/55 interchange. Its name escapes me but it's right next to a billiards place. Can't go wrong there-my girlfriend is Korean and she said it's the real deal.

Don't go to any of the Mexican places then-I feel the same way you do as I have not stepped foot in a Mexican establishment in about 2 years. They repeatedly get "C's" and make no effort to improve.

Heyyyyy now.. dont knock on Mexican food! I grew up eating that stuff if it wasent italian food. Never got sick once eating that stuff! :thumbsup:

Anyways, with chinese food... every one ive ever been to with a LOT of CHINESE PEOPLE that are in there/talk about it, you can't go wrong with it.

• 2 weeks later...

While this is slightly off topic (it's NOT authenic), but for those who want good cheap fast Chinese take-out, the Golden Dragon on Hillsborough Street across from NCSU is under new ownership now...and there has definitely been some major improvements. If you're looking for that kinda take-out and are nearby, give them a new try.

LISTEN UP!

If you all want REAL authentic Chinese, check out "Fortune Palace" in Raleigh. I went for the first time last weekend. It's off of Capital--I want to say on Brentwood Ave. (I'm not 100% sure, though). Trust me, this is NOT a China Buffet-type place with Americanized Chinese food. My date and I were the only two non-Asian people in the restaurant--that's really saying something.

There are Americanized dishes available--but another section of the menu is traditional Chinese. There are descriptions of each traditional dish. It was really good, and it was fun trying different dishes. They even had plenty of dishes featuring hog intestines--I didn't know that was a traditional Chinese food!

LISTEN UP!

If you all want REAL authentic Chinese, check out "Fortune Palace" in Raleigh. I went for the first time last weekend. It's off of Capital--I want to say on Brentwood Ave. (I'm not 100% sure, though). Trust me, this is NOT a China Buffet-type place with Americanized Chinese food. My date and I were the only two non-Asian people in the restaurant--that's really saying something.

There are Americanized dishes available--but another section of the menu is traditional Chinese. There are descriptions of each traditional dish. It was really good, and it was fun trying different dishes. They even had plenty of dishes featuring hog intestines--I didn't know that was a traditional Chinese food!

GOOD and AUTHENTIC Chinese food are not synonymous ideas. If you consider American Chinese food to be good, chances are you would not enjoy AT ALL eating Chinese food in China. There are of course good and bad places there as well, but comparing typical to typical, nope.

Well, I enjoy Americanized Chinese food, but I thought the authentic stuff was quite tasty. I got a dish called "Three Cup Chicken"--it's made with 1 cup chicken, 1 cup sesame oil and 1 cup soy sauce. It is seasoned with basil, and was quite delicious. My friend got some kind of beef brisket.

There are detailed descriptions of the authentic dishes, so you can decide if the entree will suit your taste or not.

Archived