Jobs in Planning

Veloise

Since I returned to my preferred field in 2000, I have seen this position advertised probably every 6 months:

http://www.ci.novi.mi.us/Services/HumanRes...ent/Planner.asp

On one hand, seems like someone trying to do planning for Novi could learn a lot. On the other hand, it would be sortof like getting yourself through medical school only to get a job pulling dawn duty down at the injection room of the state prison. (Working in Novi might be slightly preferable to Rizzo's beloved Schaumburg only because you can see the edge of the edge cities from there.)

Other "revolving doors" of note are Pittsfield Twp, Livingston County, and Ypsi Twp. I haven't been in the 616 long enough to notice which HR departments might need help with that teamwork thing, but I have noticed that two county planning slots in two nearby communities seem to be advertised, not filled, posted again, and again and again.

When I was trying to get myself over here from SE Mich a few years ago, I had an interview with a nearby Twp. During our discussion the ceiling fell down! (I didn't land the job.)

Friday night and I'm checking my job bookmarks....I really hate 28th Street!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The frequent openings are more likely a reflection of local politics than anyhting. Lots of people would be willing to plan sprawl all day long if the work environment was good. I could name some places around here that seem to have similar problems, but I'll keep them to myself. (luckily my office is not one of them :D )

• 1 month later...

Possible opening at LSL Planning:

"Just wanted to drop all of you a note and let you know I will be leaving LSL Planning to take up a new position in the public sector. I have a couple of options so I don't yet know exactly where I might be. If anyone would like to keep in touch let me know and I'll drop you a line when I get settled.

Its been a real pleasure to have been part of the GR and Michigan scene for the past 25+ years and I'll know there are lots of things I will miss. But Mary and I are looking forward to new challenges and opportunities.

Thanks to all of you who have been a inspiration to me in the planning community.

Steve Langworthy"

Possible opening at LSL Planning:

"Just wanted to drop all of you a note and let you know I will be leaving LSL Planning to take up a new position in the public sector. I have a couple of options so I don't yet know exactly where I might be. If anyone would like to keep in touch let me know and I'll drop you a line when I get settled.

Its been a real pleasure to have been part of the GR and Michigan scene for the past 25+ years and I'll know there are lots of things I will miss. But Mary and I are looking forward to new challenges and opportunities.

Thanks to all of you who have been a inspiration to me in the planning community.

Steve Langworthy"

Steve's in GR for only one more week. He's made a lot of friends (and maybe a few enemies) in the many years he's been practicing in West Michigan. Both groups are invited to Founders Brewery on N. Monroe next Friday from 3-6 PM???.

I suspect there will be great GR development stories and secrets that will be interesting even if you haven't had the pleasure of knowing Steve.

You can buy Steve that glass of Founder's "Dirty beotch" beer that you've always wanted to give him :P .

CALLING ALL PLANNERS IN GREATER GRAND RAPIDS! MARK YOUR CALENDARS! FOUNDER'S BREWPUB "TAP ROOM" FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 3:00 TO 6:00 The time is long over due for what some of us "mature" planners called PLANS, (Planner Libation and Nonsense Session).For you more youthful pros, it is like our GRAPEL, (Grand Rapids Area Planners Eat Lunch), only we will be skip the lunch, meet later in the day, quaf a few beers and NOT talk shop.... nothing too serious anyway! We are calling this PLANS in honor of our friend and colleague, Steve Langworthy, who will be leaving our area after three decades of service. Steve has become a fixture in our West Michigan community and many of us know him as consultant, co-worker, cohort, confidant, constant-pain-in-the........, (well to a couple of us anyway), and we hope you can join us for a face-to-face fond farwell at the Founder's Brew Pub (in the Tap Room) at the Brassworks Building on North Monroe, just north of downtown Grand Rapids. Nothing formal, just stop by to have a brew, chat with folks, buy Steve a beer, and enjoy yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Steve's in GR for only one more week. He's made a lot of friends (and maybe a few enemies) in the many years he's been practicing in West Michigan. Both groups are invited to Founders Brewery on N. Monroe next Friday from 3-6 PM???.

I suspect there will be great GR development stories and secrets that will be interesting even if you haven't had the pleasure of knowing Steve.

You can buy Steve that glass of Founder's "Dirty beotch" beer that you've always wanted to give him :P .

CALLING ALL PLANNERS IN GREATER GRAND RAPIDS! MARK YOUR CALENDARS! FOUNDER'S BREWPUB "TAP ROOM" FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 3:00 TO 6:00 The time is long over due for what some of us "mature" planners called PLANS, (Planner Libation and Nonsense Session).For you more youthful pros, it is like our GRAPEL, (Grand Rapids Area Planners Eat Lunch), only we will be skip the lunch, meet later in the day, quaf a few beers and NOT talk shop.... nothing too serious anyway! We are calling this PLANS in honor of our friend and colleague, Steve Langworthy, who will be leaving our area after three decades of service. Steve has become a fixture in our West Michigan community and many of us know him as consultant, co-worker, cohort, confidant, constant-pain-in-the........, (well to a couple of us anyway), and we hope you can join us for a face-to-face fond farwell at the Founder's Brew Pub (in the Tap Room) at the Brassworks Building on North Monroe, just north of downtown Grand Rapids. Nothing formal, just stop by to have a brew, chat with folks, buy Steve a beer, and enjoy yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Information Technology Services

Employer: Meijer

Date: 02-08-2007

...experience with Storage Area Networking (SAN) technology including storage provision, LUN management, zoning, performance management, reporting and troubleshooting ...

?????

Everyone wants to be a planner anymore! When do we get our own sitcom?

Information Technology Services

Employer: Meijer

Date: 02-08-2007

...experience with Storage Area Networking (SAN) technology including storage provision, LUN management, zoning, performance management, reporting and troubleshooting ...

?????

Everyone wants to be a planner anymore! When do we get our own sitcom?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived