Retail and Restaurant Development

jmanhsv

With the end of Parisian near, Huntsville is trying to find another high-end retailer to replace it. So the mayor sent letters to retailers Macy's, Nordstrom and Rich's to see of they would like to locate here. As of yesterday, there has been no response. Huntsville Times article

I think Macy's is the best bet for Huntsville. It could probably replace the Parisian at Madison Square (the one at Parkway Place will be snatched up by Belk). Rich's is a maybe, and Nordstrom is probably a long shot, but it would be great to get one before Birmingham and Nashville.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the end of Parisian near, Huntsville is trying to find another high-end retailer to replace it. So the mayor sent letters to retailers Macy's, Nordstrom and Rich's to see of they would like to locate here. As of yesterday, there has been no response. Huntsville Times article

I think Macy's is the best bet for Huntsville. It could probably replace the Parisian at Madison Square (the one at Parkway Place will be snatched up by Belk). Rich's is a maybe, and Nordstrom is probably a long shot, but it would be great to get one before Birmingham and Nashville.

First things first, either Mayor Spencer needs to research a little more or the writer of this article needs to clarify facts more. Rich's is no longer a department store chain as Federated phased out the name as of last year. The only nameplates Federated now operates is Macy's and Bloomingdales.

Secondly, where exactly does Mayor Spencer think she's going to convince either Macy's and Nordstrom to go? Belk is picking up both Parisian locations and I would almost bet they convert the Madison Square location into a seperate Mens, Childrens, Home Furnishing store with the former McRae's becoming strictly Women's wear. Belk would want to protect their interest from competition just as any of the other anchor stores would. Of course, I think Macy's would only be competition to Belk and Dillards in Huntsville as Sears and JCPenny are a lower brand (in my opinion) than Macy's.

The only location for Macy's or Nordstrom (assuming Belk holds onto the both Parisian's) is Bridge Street. I was under the impression from several other posts throughout the forums that Bridge Street wasn't going to have an anchor spot large enough for department retail. Has that changed?

I forgot that all the Rich's stores became Macy's last year. But that's what the article said.

There's no way a Macy's or a Nordstrom will be coming to Bridge Street. Wild Oats and Barnes and Noble are the largest stores going in there. I don't know if they're considered anchors, since the stores will only be 40-45,000 sq ft. The other large retail development coming to Huntsville is Marketsquare, but I don't know if either store would want to locate downtown. And at 400,000 sq ft, it will be less than half the size of Madison Square. We'll just have to wait and see.

You know that old empty mall at the Parkway/Clinton Avenue exit where Gold's Gym and Burlington Coat Factory used to be located? That is Marketsquare; demolition of the building could start next month. This is the most recent blurb of news about it:

MarketSquare on Clinton Avenue, one of the city's early shopping malls, has a date with the wrecking ball. Owner Scott McLain wants to replace it with an eclectic mix of restaurants, bars, shops, apartments and maybe a hotel.

"We have a number of investors who would like to be our partner" in the project, McLain said recently. "There are hundreds of great chains (stores) and interesting people to have in this market."

You know that old empty mall at the Parkway/Clinton Avenue exit where Gold's Gym and Burlington Coat Factory used to be located? That is Marketsquare; demolition of the building could start next month. This is the most recent blurb of news about it:

Yes! Finally, whenever I drive down Clinton, I always wince at the sight of that place.

• 4 weeks later...

from their website

Opening October 23, 2006!

Ruth's Chris Steak House in Huntsville, Alabama is situated in the lobby of the Embassy Suites conveniently located in downtown Huntsville adjacent to the Von Braun Center . Ruth's Chris' expansive terrace overlooks alluring Big Spring Park and provides opportunities for outdoor dining respites, weather permitting. Private dining rooms offer a variety of event options for 10 to 300 guests.

from their website

Opening October 23, 2006!

Ruth's Chris Steak House in Huntsville, Alabama is situated in the lobby of the Embassy Suites conveniently located in downtown Huntsville adjacent to the Von Braun Center . Ruth's Chris' expansive terrace overlooks alluring Big Spring Park and provides opportunities for outdoor dining respites, weather permitting. Private dining rooms offer a variety of event options for 10 to 300 guests.

Will the hotel be open?

• 3 weeks later...

This is a thread for info on new restaurant and retail businesses coming to the area. This would not include the new shops and restaurants coming in large future developments like Bridge Street or Marketsquare. There are other threads for those. :)

Here are some of the new chains coming to the area and their planned locations:

Haverty's Furniture- Most likely Madison Plaza (the hhgregg shopping center)

ALDI- at least one on 72 West in front of Kohl's (BTW, did the one in Decatur close?)

Red Robin (restaurant)- in Jones Valley in front of Hobby Lobby and at Bridge Street

rue21- in Jones Valley and Decatur

Build-A-Bear Workshop- Parkway Place (originally slated for Bridge Street)

This is a thread for info on new restaurant and retail businesses coming to the area. This would not include the new shops and restaurants coming in large future developments like Bridge Street or Marketsquare. There are other threads for those. :)

Here are some of the new chains coming to the area and their planned locations:

Haverty's Furniture- Most likely Madison Plaza (the hhgregg shopping center)

ALDI- at least one on 72 West in front of Kohl's (BTW, did the one in Decatur close?)

Red Robin (restaurant)- in Jones Valley in front of Hobby Lobby and at Bridge Street

rue21- in Jones Valley and Decatur

Build-A-Bear Workshop- Parkway Place (originally slated for Bridge Street)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hooray!! :D

Terry's Pizza is back.

Local grocery store Star Market had purchased the Terry's name and menu from the family of the late Lou Pejza, said Darden Heritage, Star's owner.

The Star Market-made Terry's pizzas are carry-out: They are assembled and baked at the Madison and Meridianville stores and assembled for "take and bake" at the Five Points store, until that store gets its oven, Heritage said.

• 4 weeks later...

Panera Bread now has plans for at least two locations in Huntsville- one at Bridge Street and one somewhere on Whitesburg, probably near the Medical District or near Airport Road. There are also rumors of a third one in Decatur. These are the first Panera Breads in the Huntsville, while the other three big cities in Alabama, Chatty, and Nashville have had Panera Bread locations for a couple of years (which really baffles me...)

Panera Bread now has plans for at least two locations in Huntsville- one at Bridge Street and one somewhere on Whitesburg, probably near the Medical District or near Airport Road. There are also rumors of a third one in Decatur. These are the first Panera Breads in the Huntsville, while the other three big cities in Alabama, Chatty, and Nashville have had Panera Bread locations for a couple of years (which really baffles me...)

Panera will be in the Village On Whitesburg (next to Fresh Market) at the intersection of Whitesburg and Airport. (Great Wraps is opening soon there as well.) Those of us from St. Louis really miss Panera, where it originated and is known as St. Louis Bread Company (or Bread Co. as natives called it) in areas directly surrounding St Louis. Each and every neighborhood has its own and we'd say "going to my BreadCo" as if we owned them...:)

Later is better than never. Huntsville has come a long a way as a city with restaurant and retail offerings over the past decade. We continue to have more and more options, and I'm thankful. My only regret is we don't get things when they are at their peak, but nevertheless, we are starting to be noticed and be on everyone's radar. The fact that we can even speculate that say Nordstrom might be somewhat interested in this market says something. And we live close enough to Birmingham and Nashville to take advantage of what we don't yet have from time to time, and especially Nashville, seems to be growing at a lightning pace finally catching up to where it deserves to be. Anyway, I think for the most part, we have the best of all worlds and hope we see MANY exciting additions on the restaurant and retail front in 2007 because I think we all yearning for the next big wave to come through; and are ready, willing, able to support them when they do take a chance on our city. It would feel good to get some big coups too.

My advice: If you want something that Huntsville doesn't have, find a contact and write, write, write. Beg. Give solid details about our community. Get them to talk instead of giving a "stock answer" and help further put us on the map. It may not help totally, but it will help get us on the radar screen even further and maybe even propel certain things. Our voices are powerful. And of course, if we support those things that are here, that only gives those chains and others who don't call us home yet more confidence in investing in us. Thanks to all for great forums for our city.

Archived