Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lexy

The Schermerhorn Symphony Center

20 posts in this topic

I am working on a better pan than this, but for now.....you get the idea.

66550433.dXShGsDq.asymphonypano1.jpg

66550446.yejoV7WB.asymphony1.jpg

66550535.1GRZKh3E.asymphony2.jpg

66550548.CjGIrqOB.asymphony4.jpg

66550561.oZjETWgT.asymphony5.jpg

66550570.PgmafFQ9.asymphony6.jpg

Notice the Red Carpet is out.....

66550605.sCgoYu8R.asymphony7.jpg

The man for whom it is named after...

66550620.ikKDa6sI.asymphony8.jpg

This builidng has created one of the most DYNAMIC public spaces in the city, and quite possibly in the south. This is more than a feather in the cap for Nashville, it's bragging rights and something to truely be proud of. Far more reaching than Signature Tower will ever be on a world scale. To me, that is priceless. Architectually, I think the builidng is pretty close to perfection. But that is just me.

But wait, aren't we just a bunch of yee-haws living and dying for our Pabst and HeeHaw DVDs? I'm shattered, I tell ya, truly shattered. lol.

Lex, the photos are remarkable. The "place" is remarkable. I watched the special on Channel 2 last night and it explained many of the various components of the building and why they're included. I'm anxious for a transcript of the broadcast because I want to commit these tidbits to memory as it will help us explain to some why a classical building does not, and in this case, should not follow the textooks, but include the souls and personalities of the state and city in which it sits, and the people whose dollars, personalities, dreams and ancestry made it happen for us. This building is much more than an example of a piece of architecture, it's a building that encompasses the lives of those who will visit, and those who made it possible. It's ours; it's ours to share with the world, and it's ours of which to be unbelieveably proud.

To hell with textbooks. This is absolutely stunning and now, I know, without a doubt, it has heart.

Nashville, I love you.

This builidng has created one of the most DYNAMIC public spaces in the city, and quite possibly in the south. This is more than a feather in the cap for Nashville, it's bragging rights and something to truely be proud of. Far more reaching than Signature Tower will ever be on a world scale. To me, that is priceless. Architectually, I think the builidng is pretty close to perfection. But that is just me.

Thanks for these photos! I can't wait to see the building in person this October...until then, I will enjoy these fantastic pictures with gratitude! Thanks, Lexy!

This definitely is one of the most amazing projects to come out of anywhere in a long time. Many architects will criticize it for being "too classical," but only because they are all frothing at the mouth, jacked up on the same theories of Progressive Modernism that brought us other such hits as "demolish the whole downtown for parking lots" and "buildings don't need windows because we have flourescent lights and air-conditioning." The bold, progressive, future-forging, and beautiful Schermerhorn is not only grand now--it will be grand in one hundred years. It allows our ancestors to speak to us through the use of traditional and timeless form, it allows us to say something to our contemporaries through a new and innovative use of tradition and wholly original expressive detail, and it will permit us to speak to our descendants with a civic building that won't go "out of style" and become illegible in ten years.

Nothing is perfect, and the Schermerhorn certainly has a few flaws--but I am proud of it, feel great affection and respect for it, and pray fervently that it is a standard-bearer for things to come.

Beautiful shots, Lexy.

I was in downtown Nashville bright and early this morning trying to take some black and white photos. They are being developed as I type so I am anxious to see how they turn out. I must have walked 20 miles today as I also went over to Vanderbilt to take some shots.

The new Symphony Hall was on my walking path today and I did get some photos but I do not think the photos of that magnificent building are going to be the best in the set.

I noticed a problem downtown which only seems to have been magnified threefold since I worked downtown in the mid 80's. The number of homeless people I saw was staggering and they were everywhere this morning (even around Vanderbilt). What is being done to help these people?

Haha, the one that came up to me at Vanderbilt was a little crazy and he accused me of being in the "Vanderbilt Police Coverup." I have no idea what he was talking about but he seemed quite certain that I was a Vanderbilt Police spy. I felt like spraying him with my secret poison shooting watch.

Wow Lexy! I'm tellin' ya...I wanna take lessons.

Great post NT. You hit the nail on the head.

Wow, I've been to 24 countries, and although I realize I'm biased, I think that's one of my favorite buildings almost anywhere. It really crystalizes all that I love about our wonderful, and dynamic city. It's something that we should all be proud of, and it just helps to remind me:

I Love Nashville!

^Yeah. That's a good way to put it. We ARE Music City and this just helps establish that on a bigger stage.

^Did any of you catch the premiere concert tonight on Channel 8 ? I was extremely disappointed by the selection of music played (my parents similarly complained). Having one piece with an Asian-Indian dude playing bongos for a 25-minute long piece was ludicrous and was more worthy to be played in a Beat nightclub back in 1960. My father was so irritated by it, he said he would've gotten up and walked out. :(

WOW!!! I just finished watching the NSO concert (12:30). I was stunned; I knew that this would be an exceptional performance, but oh my!

Folks, I'm a musician, too, and I have attended MANY concerts in 8 years for the St. Louis Symphony, which is a destination orchestra. I have attended other symphonies as well. I have always said that STL was a step above NSO. But the Mahler (last piece) was probably the best single performance of anything I've ever heard - ever. I was shocked and so happy for the NSO! Standing O!!!

^FMJ I admit I dozed off during the concerto, but the other selections are big-time heavy hitters in classical music (Barber and Mahler) and NSO hit a grand-slam performance on both of them!! The opening piece was good, also the National Anthem; so 4 out of 5????

In case you're wondering what instrument I play, it is the pipe organ. It's gonna be a LONG year to wait...anyway, off to fishing, good night!!

WOW!!! I just finished watching the NSO concert (12:30). I was stunned; I knew that this would be an exceptional performance, but oh my!

Folks, I'm a musician, too, and I have attended MANY concerts in 8 years for the St. Louis Symphony, which is a destination orchestra. I have attended other symphonies as well. I have always said that STL was a step above NSO. But the Mahler (last piece) was probably the best single performance of anything I've ever heard - ever. I was shocked and so happy for the NSO! Standing O!!!

^FMJ I admit I dozed off during the concerto, but the other selections are big-time heavy hitters in classical music (Barber and Mahler) and NSO hit a grand-slam performance on both of them!! The opening piece was good, also the National Anthem; so 4 out of 5????

In case you're wondering what instrument I play, it is the pipe organ. It's gonna be a LONG year to wait...anyway, off to fishing, good night!!

I was just sort of having it play as background as the bongo set totally lost me. The National Anthem was probably the high point, and the last piece was fine. I dunno, maybe I was hoping to hear some pieces I either liked or recognized (i.e. "The Blue Danube" or "Thus Sprake Zarathrusta" (OK, I'm a "2001" fan :blush: ) perhaps even a nice rendition of "Shenandoah" or even my personal favorite, which is probably obscure to most folks, "Storm Cloud Cantata" (best remembered from the attempted assassination denouement sequence in the 1956 version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much")). Well, that's just me. :lol:

This really is an incredible building and not just from the outside. The interiors are dignified, restrained and of the highest quality. The layout also seems intelligent. I'm going to my first concert there tomorrow night and can't wait! What a great addition to our great city....

Okay I've been to my first concert at the SSC and I just want to emphasize: if you care about architecture, our city, its role in the larger world and have the slightest bit of interest in music, run, don't walk, to the SSC Box Office! This building is a major step forward for Nashville.

Went to the Schermerhorn tonight for a concert. It is just a beautiful interior that amazes me each time I go in it (I see something different every time). The sounds that the Symphony creates are just as beautiful. I was amazed by the amount of non-Symphony goers that were gawking at the building (or maybe they were just drunk from the Wine even on the Shelby Street Bridge).

In terms of urban design, I just wanted to point out that not only is the building a true addition to our building stock, but the fountains have really filled a void that I had been thinking about for quite some time. Nashville has really needed more civic fountains in the DT are IMO and the Schermerhorn gives us several, along with a pretty cool misting contraption. Anyway, kudos to those extras, those were the things I saw people interacting with the most.

I think the point about the fountains is a very good one...I am coming back to Nashville for a weekend in October and bringing some friends from school and I definitely plan on walking down to this area while they are here. I actually haven't been back to see the finished project and I can't wait

Delightful.

Stunning.

A treat for the eyes.

Amazing.

A perfect blend of design and funtion.

I could go on and on but you guys get the picture. Congratulations on the new hall. A++++++.

I think the point about the fountains is a very good one...I am coming back to Nashville for a weekend in October and bringing some friends from school and I definitely plan on walking down to this area while they are here. I actually haven't been back to see the finished project and I can't wait

I'm so glad they incuuded fountains with this wonderful hall. That's one thing Nashville needed more of. I hope there will be more fountains in our future in urban settings where people and congregate. That's brings back thoughts of my stay in Rome many years ago. The fountains there are spectacular.

I'm so glad they incuuded fountains with this wonderful hall. That's one thing Nashville needed more of. I hope there will be more fountains in our future in urban settings where people and congregate. That's brings back thoughts of my stay in Rome many years ago. The fountains there are spectacular.

I agree, the fountain's at the Symphony Center is very beautiful and Nashville needs more of them. I believe the new SunTrust Bank will have one as well. :)

Just a quick reminder for those who are interested, the open house is today from 10 am until midnight. It's free! There will be various performances throughout the day in different areas

For all the details and schedule of events:

Nashville Symphony, A Day of Music - FREE!