The History of Saving History

vicupstate

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...

I just wanted to bump this thread up. I was just wondering exactly what the Charleston Place hotel replaced on that block, as it is a pretty big structure. Although I'm all for restoration and preservation, and believe that the buildings deemed as "dilapidated" on the block where the hotel now stands could have been restored, there's no doubt that Charleston Place was the catalyst for an infusion of life and vitality along King; I also didn't know that it had 600 rooms. I'm amazed at modern structures like Charleston Place, Victoria Center (Brooks Brothers building), and Majestic Square (Saks Fifth Avenue building) that do such a great job of blending into their surroundings.

I just wanted to bump this thread up. I was just wondering exactly what the Charleston Place hotel replaced on that block, as it is a pretty big structure. Although I'm all for restoration and preservation, and believe that the buildings deemed as "dilapidated" on the block where the hotel now stands could have been restored, Charleston Place represents an infusion of life of vitality along King; I also didn't know that it had 600 rooms. I'm amazed at modern structures like Charleston Place, Victoria Center (Brooks Brothers building), and Majestic Square (Saks Fifth Avenue building) that do such a great job of blending into their surroundings.

I just wanted to bump this thread up. I was just wondering exactly what the Charleston Place hotel replaced on that block, as it is a pretty big structure. Although I'm all for restoration and preservation, and believe that the buildings deemed as "dilapidated" on the block where the hotel now stands could have been restored, Charleston Place represents an infusion of life of vitality along King; I also didn't know that it had 600 rooms. I'm amazed at modern structures like Charleston Place, Victoria Center (Brooks Brothers building), and Majestic Square (Saks Fifth Avenue building) that do such a great job of blending into their surroundings.

Wow, thanks for the information. Even though some historic storefronts along King were sacrificed to make way for the hotel, the Charleston Place shops perform the same function as the storefronts would. The sacrifice was worth it. Charleston Place does everything right, from street presence to scale to architecture.

I can't believe a suburban style bank with a drive-thru was where Majestic Square currently sits, next to the beautiful 1930's Art Deco Riviera Theater! I'm so glad the Beach Company put something there modern, proper, and very urban. The same goes for Victoria Center. Even with their contemporary designs, they blend into the historic urban fabric so seamlessly.

Wow, thanks for the information. Even though some historic storefronts along King were sacrificed to make way for the hotel, the Charleston Place shops perform the same function as the storefronts would. The sacrifice was worth it. Charleston Place does everything right, from street presence to scale to architecture.

I can't believe a suburban style bank with a drive-thru was where Majestic Square currently sits, next to the beautiful 1930's Art Deco Riviera Theater! I'm so glad the Beach Company put something there modern, proper, and very urban. The same goes for Victoria Center. Even with they're contemporary designs, they blend into the historic urban fabric so seamlessly.

Archived