Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vicupstate

The History of Saving History

11 posts in this topic

Charleston & Preservation

Through account of how Charleston's preservation movement began, matured, and it's place in Charleston today.

Several battles of the past, including Gaillard Auditorium, Charleston Place, Riviera Theater and others are included.

Great background on the subject.

Thanks for sharing that, vic. That site is extremely valuable. It shows how much Riley has really contributed to Charleston being the great city it is today.

I just wanted to bump this thread up. I was just wondering exactly what the Charleston Place hotel replaced on that block, as it is a pretty big structure. Although I'm all for restoration and preservation, and believe that the buildings deemed as "dilapidated" on the block where the hotel now stands could have been restored, there's no doubt that Charleston Place was the catalyst for an infusion of life and vitality along King; I also didn't know that it had 600 rooms. I'm amazed at modern structures like Charleston Place, Victoria Center (Brooks Brothers building), and Majestic Square (Saks Fifth Avenue building) that do such a great job of blending into their surroundings.

I just wanted to bump this thread up. I was just wondering exactly what the Charleston Place hotel replaced on that block, as it is a pretty big structure. Although I'm all for restoration and preservation, and believe that the buildings deemed as "dilapidated" on the block where the hotel now stands could have been restored, Charleston Place represents an infusion of life of vitality along King; I also didn't know that it had 600 rooms. I'm amazed at modern structures like Charleston Place, Victoria Center (Brooks Brothers building), and Majestic Square (Saks Fifth Avenue building) that do such a great job of blending into their surroundings.

Cool. You wouldn't know that the hotel was 8 floors just by walking by. I just counted the floors in a shot I took when I was last down there and was surprised.

I just wanted to bump this thread up. I was just wondering exactly what the Charleston Place hotel replaced on that block, as it is a pretty big structure. Although I'm all for restoration and preservation, and believe that the buildings deemed as "dilapidated" on the block where the hotel now stands could have been restored, Charleston Place represents an infusion of life of vitality along King; I also didn't know that it had 600 rooms. I'm amazed at modern structures like Charleston Place, Victoria Center (Brooks Brothers building), and Majestic Square (Saks Fifth Avenue building) that do such a great job of blending into their surroundings.

Wow, thanks for the information. Even though some historic storefronts along King were sacrificed to make way for the hotel, the Charleston Place shops perform the same function as the storefronts would. The sacrifice was worth it. Charleston Place does everything right, from street presence to scale to architecture.

I can't believe a suburban style bank with a drive-thru was where Majestic Square currently sits, next to the beautiful 1930's Art Deco Riviera Theater! I'm so glad the Beach Company put something there modern, proper, and very urban. The same goes for Victoria Center. Even with their contemporary designs, they blend into the historic urban fabric so seamlessly.

Wow, thanks for the information. Even though some historic storefronts along King were sacrificed to make way for the hotel, the Charleston Place shops perform the same function as the storefronts would. The sacrifice was worth it. Charleston Place does everything right, from street presence to scale to architecture.

I can't believe a suburban style bank with a drive-thru was where Majestic Square currently sits, next to the beautiful 1930's Art Deco Riviera Theater! I'm so glad the Beach Company put something there modern, proper, and very urban. The same goes for Victoria Center. Even with they're contemporary designs, they blend into the historic urban fabric so seamlessly.

^Yes, and I believe those lots will be developed in due time. I really, really wouldn't mind the Beach Company doing something like Majestic Square or the Victoria Center on those lots, on a larger scale.

^Yes, and I believe those lots will be developed in due time. I really, really wouldn't mind the Beach Company doing something like Majestic Square or the Victoria Center on those lots, on a larger scale.

Neither do I.

Has the Beach Company done any other lowrise urban infill projects in Charleston or any other city that anyone's aware of?