The City Club

krazeeboi

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

The City Club looks all right, but he developed that awful place on the West Columbia side of the river with the horrible faux stone wall and where he clear cut all of the old growth trees on the river. After that tree/wall debacle I don't trust the guy at all.

I have always had a slightly unique opinion about the removal of the greenery on the West Columbia side. Actually he didn't remove anything but bent up, deformed trees that had been held down for years by dense vines, including kudzu. They all made for a very interesting entrance to that part of the greenway, but the trees he planted there will eventually create a nice lining to the walkway. The houses, while not yet built out, are quite pretty so far, and the automobile motor oil runoff will be only a fraction of that from the riverwalk and New Orleans parking lots. The material used for the wall look so real that anyone who didn't watch as it was going up or look at it through the proverbial microscope would never know it's not a stone wall. Aesthetically it looks very nice.

I have always had a slightly unique opinion about the removal of the greenery on the West Columbia side. Actually he didn't remove anything but bent up, deformed trees that had been held down for years by dense vines, including kudzu. They all made for a very interesting entrance to that part of the greenway, but the trees he planted there will eventually create a nice lining to the walkway. The houses, while not yet built out, are quite pretty so far, and the automobile motor oil runoff will be only a fraction of that from the riverwalk and New Orleans parking lots. The material used for the wall look so real that anyone who didn't watch as it was going up or look at it through the proverbial microscope would never know it's not a stone wall. Aesthetically it looks very nice.

I'll explain my distaste for the project (hate is too strong a word):

1. It's gated and I'll rail against any totally gated community.

2. I don't like any clear-cut development, which this was.

3. Corgi, with all due respect, I don't think the faux stone wall looks like anything but plastic. :)

I'll explain my distaste for the project (hate is too strong a word):

1. It's gated and I'll rail against any totally gated community.

2. I don't like any clear-cut development, which this was.

3. Corgi, with all due respect, I don't think the faux stone wall looks like anything but plastic. :)

I can't even really explain my distaste for both Congaree Park and the Village at Riverwalk... Has anyone ever read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell? To me, for whatever reason, these developments just do not pass the smell test. I have the same problem with so many of the new developments going up in the Columbia area. It's like something just isn't right...

We need some developments that, for lack of a better way to put it, have a little bit of heart/soul. :)

The main reason I dislike the development along the river in W. Columbia is because I think it's a big wasted opportunity. W. Columbia could have had something besides the riverwalk to truly make its riverfront special, even if it was just an ornamental park; people would have used it. It's really a shame.

The main reason I dislike the development along the river in W. Columbia is because I think it's a big wasted opportunity. W. Columbia could have had something besides the riverwalk to truly make its riverfront special, even if it was just an ornamental park; people would have used it. It's really a shame.

Archived