Tulsa Hills

mcheiss

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tulsa Hills is a one mile long, one million square foot town center style shopping center in west Tulsa along US-75 between 71st and 81st streets. Construction is under way on phase one, which will include 700,000 square feet of space including Target, Belks, and Lowes. There will also be a 25 screen movie theater and a an upscale grocer that is rumoured to be a whole foods. Ground work has just begun.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...14/ai_n16167489

I forgot about that one. But other than that, there's not much more than Wal-Marts and Albertsons.

There are two local chains with a dozen or more stores each in the metro, Warehouse Market, which is pretty downscale and Reasor's which is like a somewhat nicer Albertson's.

Sounds very similar to the University North Park development in Norman. One mile long along the interstate, SuperTarget, town center style...

Does anyone have any more info on this? I lived in Norman for 6 years but have not been back in over 2. I was interested in some specifics on this project. Timeline, location, etc.

It's on the east side of I-35 I believe between Lindsey and what ever road is one mile north of that. It is like half a square mile and will include a movie theatre, and several major anchors including the SuperTarget, which is built in the Cherokee Gothic style to match OU's architecture.

I took some construction photos this weekend.

^

^

It's from Robinson and Tecumseh, along I 35. Two miles long and a half mile wide. It will be the nation's forth largest retail center.

I know that area. Was that area owned by OU? 24th street has always been 4 lane through there but there never was any development in that entire mile long area. I hope that you can post some of those pictures for us Okie. Thanks for the info guys.

University Town Center is going to be the nation's fourth largest retail site. I think there's a little distinction there, even if we are talking about suburban shopping centers.

I’m confused as to your point.

Tulsa Hills does not seem to me to be like the project in Norman, not in scope, use or status. Norman’s center is multi-use and seems like a good plan, and also barely yet a plan and somewhat of a long shot too. Tulsa Hills is well under-way and is already disappointing in the amount of forest that was destroyed. A “town-center” to me should have preserved more of the natural landscape. Tulsa Hills is going to be built in two phases, the first 700,000 square foot phase is now underway. Phase two at 300,000 square feet will be built directly after phase one.

University Park was quoted as saying it “could be in the top five retail centers in the nation if it is built out to it’s master plan”. Reportedly conceptual work is underway as is feasibility work. I haven’t seen that they are even to the point of offering the project at large on the real-estate market. There is a very long way to go for this center to be anything like one of the largest in the nation. “Master Plans” have a habit of always changing and something this large can and would take decades to be completed.

Tulsa Hills is planning on phase one to open in ’07 with phase two in ’08. Even if University Park North becomes the fourth largest retail center in the nation, Tulsa Hills would likely have been the second largest center in the state for 15-20 years before being passed.

That said University Park North as a multi-use center is very exciting. Norman needs it. Stillwater for years was the saddest and worst college town this side of Manhattan, KS. But that town and OSU have made huge strides over the last few years. Boren has done great things for OU but Norman just keeps aging in the center and becoming more bland and suburban at the edges. Hopefully this project will help to reverse that trend, I was in Norman a few weeks ago and right now it’s doesn’t have any feel of being a college town anymore. If you want an example of what a college town that is also suburban should be, go to Lawrence, KS.

Lawrence is a very cool city. And I had no control over where this project was posted... it was just brought up, a request for info, and I simply obliged. Maybe a thread split is in order?

About 1/4 of the land has already been closed and there's a deal in writing for John Q. Hammons to build a 14-story hotel plus a convention center. The city of Norman has also committed to construct the park. So the two centerpieces of the development are pretty much guaranteed, so the rest will just fall in place.

Norman getting bland? I don't know what part of Norman you saw or didn't see, but Norman is actually a pretty darn cool city. Campus Corner is truly booming, sort of like Tulsa's Cherry Street area, and downtown Norman has definately been gaining momentum.

We've been counting the days till a downtown project. Right now the streetscape looks AMAZING and the historic store fronts have all been restored. Coach's built a new location on Main at the railroad tracks a couple years ago. There's talks of a new downtown library, a smaller version of OKC's would be awesome for a college town.

In "bland" development Brookhaven Square is an upscale lifestyle center that was finished about ten years ago. The collegiate style looks great, landscaping is good, and the tenants right now include Coach's, Louie's (a Bob Stoops place), and Talbot's. I go to an athletic club in one of the corners, and there's a Starbucks in an alley behind Talbot's.

Take a drive down West Robinson or up NW 36th... some very high dollar housing developments that have been underway for a while. OK 9 is officially designated as the technology corridor, with numerous high-tech employers/facilities.

There is loads of new construction on campus. Plus there are even about 200 new units in the proposed loft project about ten blocks east of the campus, on East Lindsey, at 12th Street.

Bland Norman...

Archived