Vanderbilt Photos

Fallingwater

Since I was in Nashville today to take photographs I thought I would head over to Vanderbilt whose campus I have always loved. These too were taken in black and white and there is so much there that I did not shoot - regrettably - in retrospect.

The first photo is of the E Bronson Ingram Studio Arts Center.

238672512_ab3b22b2fd_b.jpg

A student crossing Broadway on the Pedestrian overpass looking toward Medical Center North.

238672114_8aa579a4e0_b.jpg

The Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital which is part of VUMC.

238672380_845de10da1_b.jpg

I don't know if Scarritt College has been subsumed into Vanderbilt was was George Peabody or if Scarritt still exists independently but I once lived just down the street and always loved the small, Gothic campus. This is the Chapel Tower.

238671680_8da5d459c9_b.jpg

A typical structure on the Scarritt campus.

238671837_921b0ad0fb_b.jpg

A Gothic passageway. Doesn't it just make you want to light a candle?

238671583_f9708c33d1_b.jpg

Vanderbilt's General Library with Medical Center North in the background.

238671044_98ed5aa5a4_b.jpg

The Bensen Science Hall.

238670964_cd509b8b55_b.jpg

Kirkland Hall. This is where Chancellor Gordon Gee keeps all those bowties.

238670856_97bf5c779b_b.jpg

I am not going to post all the pics and one more post should suffice. Stay tuned........

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Vanderbilt School of Divinity.

238671115_99da193521_b.jpg

The Carmichael Towers student dormitorys.

238670762_8d06252b32_b.jpg

Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity on Greek Row with 2525 West End Bldg. in the background. Got beer?

238670614_09201431a3_b.jpg

25th Ave. North in front of Memorial Gymnasium. The Olin Hall School of Engineering is in the background.

238670428_6ed6f2ce4d_b.jpg

The Blair School of Music. I always thought it slightly humorous that a School of Music would be named "Blare."

238670146_fde5113cee_b.jpg

The Wyatt Center on Vanderbilt's Peabody Campus.

238669980_633cfdaa47_b.jpg

The Jesup Psychological Laboratory. That's right - Psychological LABORATORY. I got away from that building rather quickly. Didn't want to become a subject, you know?

238669887_fb2cab60e0_b.jpg

Lastly, the VUMC. I remember when the VUMC was simply a large hospital. It is now a gargantuous monster and takes up all the road which you see and then some.

238671352_7f2c335330_b.jpg

The End.

yeah, those towers are really not very nice. I mean for one, they are just trashed because of being college dorms. Besides that, the rooms are small, cold feeling and in desperate need of a renovation or something in my opinion. I'm in college and I am happy to say I haven't had to experience a dorm as bad as those seem.

I do want to add that from what I remember, the lobbies might have been redone and they added the C-stores to them.

Great to see some pics of Vandy. You did a good job of showing off the campus.

I wonder how nice the Carmichael Towers are on the inside? Anybody ever been inside them lately?

Argh, the Carmichael Towers look like the old Cabrini-Green projects in Chicago (of "Good Times" fame). It'll be nice to see them come down and replaced with something nicer-looking. :sick:

I can tell you that they absolutely sucked 15 years ago. It's hard for me to believe that they've gotten nicer since then. I don't recall any major renovations. They're 40 years old. The buildings with single units (part of tower 1 I think and all of tower 3) are like little mazes. The single rooms are like little cells with a bed on one side and a built-in desk and closet on the other side. I even remember one third stringer basketball player who slept in his room with his door open (his bed/room was so much shorter than he was).

The suites were a bit more tolerable. I actually lived in one in Tower 2 for a year and a half. They have four bedrooms and a common bath and a den and sleep up to 6.

All the rooms/suites have cinderblock walls. When I was there, the colors were institutional cream/beige. Of course, the guys' rooms pretty much stayed that way. The girls' rooms were always done up in nice fabrics and colors. When I was there, the buildings were co-ed, but the rooms/suites were not. The towers with single rooms were single-gender floors. As this is based on my really poor memory (and the fact that I rarely went up to the single room floors), I'm doing the best with my descriptions. I remember getting very claustrophobic on the single room floors.

Each floor had a bank of (3?) elevators in the core. The elevators came up off the lobby (each shared by two buildings) and each floor had a square shaped hallway around the elevator shaft/stairways on each side of the elevator bank. There was a trash chute on each floor, and you could hear the clank, clank, clang of trash (aka beer bottles) going down the chutes at all early hours of the days.

The thing I remember about the lobbies is that there were slate floors and lots of that blond wood that was popular in the 1960s throughout. Each lobby had a large commons room on the main level. The basements had coffee shop/munchie marts and a tunnel connected the four buildings (two lobbies) underneath 23rd Ave.

I don't know if Scarritt College has been subsumed into Vanderbilt was was George Peabody or if Scarritt still exists independently but I once lived just down the street and always loved the small, Gothic campus. This is the Chapel Tower.

Scarritt is owned by the United Methodist Church and is now operated as a retreat center.

Great to see some pics of Vandy. You did a good job of showing off the campus.

I wonder how nice the Carmichael Towers are on the inside? Anybody ever been inside them lately?

Thanks, Rural King. I don't think these photos quite do the beauty of that campus justice and the thing which has always amazed me is that it is said that Vandy has a student population around 10,000 or so but the campus seems much, much, MUCH larger than that.

The last time I was in Carmichael Towers was in the mid-80's and they weren't in great shape then. Still, they are four rather imposing figures nonetheless.

Archived