Dallas/Waco/Austin/San Antonio Megalopolis?

bigboyz05

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this definitely should be in the Texas forum.

But until it's moved I'll go ahead and respond. If such a thing were to occur, I doubt Waco's name would be in it. I'm sure it would be Dallas-Austin-San Antonio or Dallas-San Antonio-Austin. I believe they go by populations, from highest to lowest of the major cities in the area. If that's the case, and if San Antonio has already surpassed Dallas in population (I'm not sure) then it would be San Antonio-Dallas-Austin.

Looking at Google Earth, it seems very possible. Though it seems like it would take a little bit for the area to creep up or down the interstate between Waco and Dallas.

Good call. I'm not sure about Waco's growth, but Dallas' growth to the north, toward Oklahoma, is exponential compared to its southern growth. I could see it if Waco was growing rapidly to the north, or if Dallas' growth boom suddenly shifted south... but as it is, there is quite a gap.

Good call. I'm not sure about Waco's growth, but Dallas' growth to the north, toward Oklahoma, is exponential compared to its southern growth. I could see it if Waco was growing rapidly to the north, or if Dallas' growth boom suddenly shifted south... but as it is, there is quite a gap.

Yea, like I said, it's quite possible. But you're right, it could only work out if the population suddenly exploded southward. If it didn't it would take decades to make it just to Waco.

:lol: I wouldn't go that far. All it takes is a shift in where Dallas' growth is occurring, and it could happen. If you've seen the rapid growth of suburban Dallas, from Plano toward Sherman, you know what I'm talking about.

Yea, I shouldn't have agreed with the "we'll all be dead" quote. As I've never been to the area, I can't really say how it'll play out.

Yea, I shouldn't have agreed with the "we'll all be dead" quote. As I've never been to the area, I can't really say how it'll play out.

Check out the Census stats on Frisco, TX sometime. That town is just one of so many Dallas suburbs that seemed to grow from small town to booming mega suburb overnight. That should give you an idea...

I do urge you to visit DFW sometime... I believe you'll be quite impressed. Living only 3 hours from there, it's the nearest major metropolis to me and makes for a great weekend getaway from time to time.

Check out the Census stats on Frisco, TX sometime. That town is just one of so many Dallas suburbs that seemed to grow from small town to booming mega suburb overnight. That should give you an idea...

I do urge you to visit DFW sometime... I believe you'll be quite impressed. Living only 3 hours from there, it's the nearest major metropolis to me and makes for a great weekend getaway from time to time.

WOW, OMG!! You're right, that is a genuine boomtown. Dang

Haha, I'd love to visit DFW. I have family there, but we don't really keep in touch. I'l probably visit there someday, when I'm actually "old enough" to travel there, lol.

:lol: I wouldn't go that far. All it takes is a shift in where Dallas' growth is occurring, and it could happen. If you've seen the rapid growth of suburban Dallas, from Plano toward Sherman, you know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, Brian the D/FW area grows by more than a million people a decade. Most of it going toward the Oklahoma border like you said but if the population grew south then Waco would be engulfed.

True, but I'm not sure you could get all the growth growing over towards that direction. Like I said I wouldn't say it's impossible but I guess I don't see it happening.

True, but I'm not sure you could get all the growth growing over towards that direction. Like I said I wouldn't say it's impossible but I guess I don't see it happening.

The only way I could see it happening would be once they've built out as much as they can between Dallas and Sherman. If the area is still building up as fast as it is now, it would have to go somewhere else. That could either be south, or west toward Terrell.

Well Dallas is growing North so i dont know if it will ever connect with Waco but on another topic Houston is growing north also and its just a matter of time before the Woodlands and all the Cypress communities are connected and if Houston keep growing north at it current rate i feel that Houston will reach Bryan-College Station faster than Dallas reach Waco

Well Dallas is growing North so i dont know if it will ever connect with Waco but on another topic Houston is growing north also and its just a matter of time before the Woodlands and all the Cypress communities are connected and if Houston keep growing north at it current rate i feel that Houston will reach Bryan-College Station faster than Dallas reach Waco

I actually agree with you on this. I even have a friend who recently moved from The Woodlands to Bryan, and he said he's not alone. Being in the real estate industry, he said he knows of other people making this move as well. I believe Bryan-College Station is on track to become part of exurban Houston if it's not already considered so.

I actually agree with you on this. I even have a friend who recently moved from The Woodlands to Bryan, and he said he's not alone. Being in the real estate industry, he said he knows of other people making this move as well. I believe Bryan-College Station is on track to become part of exurban Houston if it's not already considered so.

I'm looking on Windows Live Local, and, it seems that if Houston continues to grow north through The Woodlands, then to Bryan-College Station, and Dallas grew south to Waco, then, the whole area could be one Megaloptical (don't know if that's a word) Triangle. But, I don't know the growth rates of those areas inside the Austin-Waco-Bryan Triangle, so, I don't want to say for sure that it'd happen.

Oh yeah. And out west, Brookshire is becoming an exurb of Houston has west Houston marches that way. I think there might be a population shift to the southern parts of DFW soon. They have a major shipping center coming online that the Port of Houston is putting on there. There have been many articles of a Texas Triangle.

Alright, I grew up in this proposed megalopolis and will tell you that it will not happen in our lifetimes. Dallas is growing north but starting to shift to the east a bit more. Wish they would build south a little bit. Waco is not growing that much whatsoever. It's media counterparts, especially Killeen, is the one that is growing and will pass Waco in the next few years. Austin and San Antonio is growing towards each other but Austin is growning more towards the north. There is too much of a gap between Dallas and Waco that's about 90 miles.

I got this off of Wikipedia: An example of a developing megalopolis is the area of Texas stretching from the Dallas Metro Area south to Houston, east to Lake Charles, Louisiana and north to the Shreveport-Bossier City-Texarkana area, which currently has a population of about 13.5 million people. How do they figure Shreveport and Texarkana to be part of the developing megalopolis? Texarkana and Shreveport are both nearly 200 miles from Dallas.

Archived