Earthquake tremor shakes Tallahassee!

TD

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah look at THIS GRAPHIC to see all the areas that reported feeling the quake. You can also click on the statistics link on that page and see that it's broken down by zip code. According to that site, about 45 people in Tally zip codes reported feeling it.

I had a house full of company in town for the EMBARASSING FSU game and we were all sitting around my house at that time and none of us or the two visiting dogs that were here felt anything. That said, I'm rather suspect of those in ATL and the Carolinas saying they felt it. I think that's just wishing thinking IMHO.

I hope you guys weren't miss reading my post and thinking I said the EQ wasn't legit. Of course it was. I'm just sad I didn't feel it when so many in Tally did. I am however suspect of those over 600 miles away feeling it...like in Charlotte, NC and places when many in FL didn't even feel it.

I believe you have to be on the Fault line or near the mid-plate boundary to feel it. If you view the map you can see the pattern and how it tapers out further north. And that would make sense how some felt it when they were higher up. Kinda like when you "thump" a car antenna the base doesn't move but the top shakes.

How bout that Discovery Channel now!!! :D

I hope you guys weren't miss reading my post and thinking I said the EQ wasn't legit. Of course it was. I'm just sad I didn't feel it when so many in Tally did. I am however suspect of those over 600 miles away feeling it...like in Charlotte, NC and places when many in FL didn't even feel it.

Oh no, I didnt mean that at all. I was pretty skeptical when I first heard about it, and then they told me they felt the vibrations, and I thought it must have been. I was in Atlanta this weekend and did not feel any vibrations, but that doesnt necessarily mean anything.

Lets not forget that vibrations travel differently depending on things like soil density, building construction, etc.

So, its very conceivable that you sitting on sand here in Tallahassee in a modern, well built structure feel nothing, while someone on bedrock in NC in a rigid structure feel something else.

Plus it travels in waves... some places waves collide, build on top of each other, etc to intensify vibrations in one place and mute them in others.

Envision a pebble being dropped in a pond... some areas are open water, others are weeds, some is a sandy beach. Watch the waves ripple out and change as they hit each thing.

^Good scientific explanation about the EQ. While I'll agree w/all you said, I'm still suspect of those up in the Carolinas reporting feeling the EQ hours and hours after it was reported in the news. "Grammy that wasn't gas I had this mornin' that was a dang earthquake." :)

Our own TallyD felt it AS it was happening and that I believe. But of many I'm suspicious of that "herd mentality" we seem to have perfected here in the USA. Case in point: I enjoy tracking hurricanes and you should see how many people think the thing is aimed straight at them and nothing else will convenience them otherwise even when the thing is just off Africa and all models show that it ain't going nowhere near them. "It's gonna jump right over Mexico and hit me here in San Diego, I know it."

Also I'm in a 1929 house which doesn't qualify for modern does it?

But all in all I do understand what you are saying.

Archived