Studio 56 Progress

vdogg

I can really think of three reasons for a ney vote: incentives, design, and affordable housing. I don't believe incentives are part of this building so that reason is out. I'm not sure what Ms. Mclanan's position is on affordable housing. All I can tell from her vbgov.com bio is that she's on the City's Beautification Committee and Colors Committee. No clue if that has anything to do with architecture. I suppose the simplest thing would be to ask her.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can't be because of affordability. It's a small piece of property. If the builder pays all the cost, allow it. Once it's built and all the buyers leave their deposits and run, it will be affordable housing for people.

I've heard of concerns over fire issues with the tall buildings?

I will email her if no one else does.

Most ladder trucks reach about 100 ft which should cover the height of the Studio 56 building. The fire chief doesn't care about buildings of that height as evident by the multitude throughout the city. He cares about the 300 ft tall towers which can't be reached by conventional ladder truck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So if you didn't read my preface from the Westin thread...

My wife and I ventured into the Westin sales office while shopping at Dick's and spoke to a realtor. He was really cool with us even though he new right off the bat that were weren't looking to buy. We were talking about the local development and yada yada. He said he checks out this forum daily.

But, he also gave us the floor plans and showed us the interior decrorative and styling concepts and some renderings for the interior of the Studio 56 lofts...very cool. Is gonna look very industrial and I think very cool!

He said there have been over 500 inquiries, or whatever you call it. They were originally going to start the lofts at $280,000. He sounded it was an unexpected change that they have now lowered the starting price to $240,000. Perhaps more pressure from the city to develop affordable "work force" housing.

Some interior concepts inclubed the hallways having a patterned carpet with earth tones and brick colors in it like the browns, reds, and orange tones. He showed me a sample of the hallways ceilings that will have only a wire mesh and the electrical, and ducting, and lighting will be expose through the mesh. They are looking at having the addresses in LARGE font in a diagonal, filling up practially the whole entry door of each loft and each address will have it own unique number. In that, there will only be one 01 address, one 02 address. Were most building usually start at an 01 address at the beginning of each floor like 101 on the first floor, 201 on the second floor. The first number will relate to the floor number, but the second and third number will be 1-56. So, I'm assuming that on the 5th floor, the last loft will be 556. As you've seen from the renderings one corner of the bulding will be all glass. He said that those loft are complete glass walls on the interior as well. If I remember correctly, he said they are mirrored and/or tinted glass for priavcy from the streets.

I'd scan it, but currently, I don't have a scanner. But, if your interested in checking out what I've told you, you can go down to the sales office. That is, if you live here. But if I get a scanner/printer for Christmas I'll scan if then. But, maybe by then the website will be more developed.

Later,

Metalman

The land in front of the PAC where Studio 56 is to be has been cleared of all construction equipment and debris and looks as though the land has already been taken down to grade. It also looks as though they've erected a new fence around the area. They're sure plowing ahead with this one. :)

The land in front of the PAC where Studio 56 is is to be has been cleared of all construction equipment and debris and looks as though the land has already been taken down to grade. It also looks as though they've erected a new fence around the area. They're sure plowing ahead with this one. :)

• 1 month later...

I passed it coming home from work about 1/2 hour ago. They already have two floors of what looks to be two different elevator shafts done! I had not idea that they started on this yet. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. You can see a floor of one of the shafts in the arial photo a few posts above this one.

I passed it coming home from work about 1/2 hour ago. They already have two floors of what looks to be two different elevator shafts done! I had not idea that they started on this yet. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. You can see a floor of one of the shafts in the arial photo a few posts above this one.

Archived