The Summit

kayman

For those that are as interested in retail as I am, The Summit has a new boutique called Olsen Europe coming soon. I noticed that it is a store for women, but it is still great to get an international boutique at Birmingham's most upscale shopping center. Does anyone have any news on the 5th phase that was supposed to break ground Fall of 06 with a hotel, condos, and more retail?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again I think this Carmike- Bayer controversy is an example that Bayer wants more space for highend retail. Why don't they try to force out Bruno's, The Summit doesn't need a Bruno's. I know this is a stretch but just imagine a grocery store at Lenox mall in Atlanta kinda weird right. The Summit is Birmingham's Lenox mall. Another thing I think if Bayer knew how successful his retail center was going to be he would of never put those apartments/Cameron there either. The Summit started off as a semi upscale modified shopping center. Now it has grown into a high end what he calls mega lifestyle center that needs room to grow.

Here we go again I think this Carmike- Bayer controversy is an example that Bayer wants more space for highend retail. Why don't they try to force out Bruno's, The Summit doesn't need a Bruno's. I know this is a stretch but just imagine a grocery store at Lenox mall in Atlanta kinda weird right. The Summit is Birmingham's Lenox mall. Another thing I think if Bayer knew how successful his retail center was going to be he would of never put those apartments/Cameron there either. The Summit started off as a semi upscale modified shopping center. Now it has grown into a high end what he calls mega lifestyle center that needs room to grow.

I agree that The Summit needs more room to grow. I also agree that Brunos should not be there. Don't get me wrong, the Brunos company needs everything that it can get, I honestly think Bayer should buy Brunos another location so that the store at The Summit could be demolished to make way for more room to grow. However, the Carmike should stay. This could allow Brunos to be even better...if they were to build elsewhere(perhaps a Brunos Supercenter like the one on Lakeshore). Oh and I think that The Summit is Birmingham's Phillips Plaza, and Brookwood Village is Birmingham's Lenox Square.

Although I haven't heard anything lately, I know that this Carmike battle is only the beginning. In the next coming year, you will see tenants like Coconut's (which basically F.Y.E.) being forced out very soon. Also it won't be too much longer before Bayer doesn't find a way to get rid of the Bruno's also. I've heard for awhile now that the likelihood is that Bayer may just do as Colonial did with Bruno's at Brookwood Convenience Center and just simply buyout their lease. The success of the center will likely lead to having an all-retail/restaurant high-end Phase V as word of the condominium development in the project has been mum due to a weak residental market. However, the hotel may be still be built.

You are right, tedo420, The Summit is a mega lifestyle center as its GLA (gross leasing area) is practically at 1M square footage. The completion of Phase V will likely have the GLA surpass the 1M mark.

• 1 month later...

In all of my times of hearing about around Birmingham, I've never been in The Summit.

Of course I know about Saks Fifth Avenue, Pottery Barn, Parisian, Apple, California Pizza Kitchen, etc. (including phase 5)

The problem is, I dont know where the exact location of these stores are at.

Do you have a site plan of The Summit?

In all of my times of hearing about around Birmingham, I've never been in The Summit.

Of course I know about Saks Fifth Avenue, Pottery Barn, Parisian, Apple, California Pizza Kitchen, etc. (including phase 5)

The problem is, I dont know where the exact location of these stores are at.

Do you have a site plan of The Summit?

Below is a link to an aerial photo of the shopping center identifying notable stores. The photo is at least a year old so the Apple Store is the only thing missing from your list. Hope this helps.

http://flickr.com/photos/dystopos/12828936/

• 8 months later...

Sigrid Olsen is closing at the Summit. It's not because of low sales at the center itself, but the whole chain is planning on folding all its stores by the end of June.

Yeah, the chain is folding. I hope that a Guess store could replace it because I have been wanting one for a long time...I love there clothes. It is a nice alternative to Express to me. With Juicy Couture, Kate Spade, and others in Huntsville, I wouldn't be suprised if Birmingham gets one very soon...perhaps in Phase V. That is still in there works, right?

I wonder if Bayer is still working on getting the less upscale tenants out of the center. I can see Old Navy and Claires at The Colonnade, and Carmike opening a freeway facing theater on 459.

Yeah, the chain is folding. I hope that a Guess store could replace it because I have been wanting one for a long time...I love there clothes. It is a nice alternative to Express to me. With Juicy Couture, Kate Spade, and others in Huntsville, I wouldn't be suprised if Birmingham gets one very soon...perhaps in Phase V. That is still in there works, right?

I wonder if Bayer is still working on getting the less upscale tenants out of the center. I can see Old Navy and Claires at The Colonnade, and Carmike opening a freeway facing theater on 459.

Yeah, Phase V is still in development stage, but it is coming. It will be very upscale as the Saks Plaza phase. I haven't gotten in names yet, but I believe without a doubt that whatever Bayer is planning with this new expansion will top Bridge Street in Huntsville in exclusive boutiques and retailers. Them along with Riverchase will likely land some major upscale retailers and boutiques within the next few years.

Bayers is still actively trying their best to get rid of Bruno's, Coconuts, Old Navy, and Carmike Cinemas by essentially blocking them from having their leases renewal which will be up soon. I can only hope that Carmike does have a plan B for the part of town because the loss of Summit 16 and not having an adequate replacement would be very unfortunate.

This past weekend, Belk held its "soft opening" for its new Home Store expansion, but a full one isn't coming until later. The store is going to be finish expanding the store by another 50,000 square feet to the store to convert the store into a flagship location.

Bayer Properties has put The Summit at Deerfoot Pkwy in Trussville on hold. I honestly don't see this project coming back to life in Trussville, but perhaps somewhere else, especially with the growth to come along the I-20 corridor from the East Birmingham/Irondale area to Pell City. I heard of another area Costco coming near the I-459/I-20 or I-59 interchanges. I could see a smaller, The Summit project moving closer to Pell City in the future with the upper incomes around Lake Logan Martin.

http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/stories/i....xml&coll=2

Bayer Properties has put The Summit at Deerfoot Pkwy in Trussville on hold. I honestly don't see this project coming back to life in Trussville, but perhaps somewhere else, especially with the growth to come along the I-20 corridor from the East Birmingham/Irondale area to Pell City. I heard of another area Costco coming near the I-459/I-20 or I-59 interchanges. I could see a smaller, The Summit project moving closer to Pell City in the future with the upper incomes around Lake Logan Martin.

http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/stories/i....xml&coll=2

The Pinnacle killed this project since its anchors are SuperTarget, TJMaxx, JCPenney, and Belk, all of which were seriously under consideration for the Deerfoot Parkway site. Yeah, there are plans for a large super regionally retail center in Saint Clair County, but Jim Wilson (Riverchase's part owner and developer) is the developer this project which is going to be Moody.

Out of curiosity, is The Sharper Image still in business at The Summit?

Yeah, I was just at the Summit this past Sunday, and it still there.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Liberty Park Mall? Killed off by The Summit?

A part of an interesting read from The Higley 1000.

The large enclosed shopping mall that was originally envisioned at the southern end of the property appears to be dead due to the lack of a dedicated freeway exit and a swiftly changing Birmingham retail market. The Liberty Park Mall was proposed before the construction of the extremely successful upscale retail development called

Liberty Park Mall? Killed off by The Summit?

A part of an interesting read from The Higley 1000.

The large enclosed shopping mall that was originally envisioned at the southern end of the property appears to be dead due to the lack of a dedicated freeway exit and a swiftly changing Birmingham retail market. The Liberty Park Mall was proposed before the construction of the extremely successful upscale retail development called

I actually do remember when the Liberty Park Mall was proposed back in 1997. It was going to be anchored by Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, Parisian, and Macy's. I don't remember how many square feet it was going to be, but it was going to be a considered super-regional like Riverchase.

I actually do remember when the Liberty Park Mall was proposed back in 1997. It was going to be anchored by Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, Parisian, and Macy's. I don't remember how many square feet it was going to be, but it was going to be a considered super-regional like Riverchase.

That's wild... Would have been interesting to see the way things could have been in the 459/280 area if that had happened. I would imagine 459/Grants Mill would have developed much more than it has now.

• 3 weeks later...

While snooping around, trying to get some inside info on The Summit's new expansion, I came across this link. Take a look just to get an idea of the new portion coming to The Summit next year.

http://www.bayerproperties.com/files/TheSu...ookJuly2008.pdf

In addition to the new retail and offices to come, there is also space for additional restaurants from the looks of it. If the new restaurants are to have outdoor seating, the views are going to be incredible...looking over the 280 "skyline"(the new Trinity Hospital) :P , and the mountains. I hope whatever restaurants that do decide to come, Bayer will keep up the trend of bring destination restaurants. I would love to see an Elephant Bar, Orlando's Blue Martini, or even Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. I am wondering if Max & Erma's will finally open a restaurant due to it's expansion into Birmingham, and the fact that they have a M & E at The Summit Louisville...I guess we will find out soon or later.

• 4 months later...

OK, The Summit's new tenants have been announced. I do not think that it is a completed list because the new restaurant has not been revealed. I knew that it would be a matter of time till Juicy Couture entered the market...being that they have a Huntsville location. Others opening there are James Avery Jewelers(no Tiffany's?), another Brighton Collectibles, and Gloss Denim Bar. Also an accounting firm will locate a space in the office portion. Oh yeah, there is news on The Grove as well.

http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/....xml&coll=2

The Summit is not that upscale. So what if it has a Saks.. Neiman's is fancier. Triangle Town Center in Raleigh has Saks and is nowhere near upscale. The Summit also has Gap, Gymboree, Old Navy (opposite of upscale), Champs, American Eagle :sick: , and more. The rest of the stores are just a litte bit more upscale than regular mall stores. That makes me so mad that they think they are so fancy. Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza, SouthPark and more are upscale....this is not. If they were trying to get new stores, they would kick out the lower end stores (as mentioned above) and replace them with new ones. The low end stores (as mentioned above) are still there and no new upscale stores (Tiffany's, Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Burberry, etc.) are not there. Other people mentioned Juicy Couture above. People on the SouthPark forum are saying that it is not that upscale and is nothing special.

Hmph. Somebody sounds bitter.

The Summit is upscale. Period.

The Summit can hold its own against any of the above listed "malls".

BTW... the term "malls" is so 1970's. They are "retail centers". Get with it...

So an upscale "retail center" would have an Old Navy? I don't think so.

Archived