The Summit

kayman

So an upscale "retail center" would have an Old Navy? I don't think so.

Indeed...

Ann Taylor

Abercrombie & Fitch

Banana Republic

Express

J. Crew

Lucky Brand Jeans

Tommy Bahama

Urban Outfitters

The Children's Place

Janie & Jack

Shoes

Aldo

Clarks

Marmi Shoes

Barnes & Noble

Rosenberger's Birmingham Trunk

Coach

Bromberg's Fine Jewelry

Sephora

Pottery Barn

Smith & Hawken

Williams-Sonoma

Apple

Bose

Ben & Jerry's

Cheesecake Factory

Fleming's Steakhouse

Tavern on The Summit

Village Tavern

All upscale and any center in the country would welcome such a fine portfolio of tenants... including Asheville and Charleston.

and throw an Old Navy in there for the kids.

What's your deal?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed...

Ann Taylor

Abercrombie & Fitch

Banana Republic

Express

J. Crew

Lucky Brand Jeans

Tommy Bahama

Urban Outfitters

The Children's Place

Janie & Jack

Shoes

Aldo

Clarks

Marmi Shoes

Barnes & Noble

Rosenberger's Birmingham Trunk

Coach

Bromberg's Fine Jewelry

Sephora

Pottery Barn

Smith & Hawken

Williams-Sonoma

Apple

Bose

Ben & Jerry's

Cheesecake Factory

Fleming's Steakhouse

Tavern on The Summit

Village Tavern

All upscale and any center in the country would welcome such a fine portfolio of tenants... including Asheville and Charleston.

and throw an Old Navy in there for the kids.

What's your deal?

So by your logic Lenox Square is not upscale because it has a Gap store?

Yes,some of them you mentiond are somewhat upscale: Abercrombie & Fitch, Ann Taylor, Pottery Barn, etc. Lenox Square is upscale. I mentioned that above. I am judging it by the amount of upscale stores, not the amount of middle and lower end stores. If I judged it by the amount of low end stores, a mall filled with stores at the same price range as Abercrombie & Fitch, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Coldwater Creek & Pottery Barn would be 100% upscale. You can not have a mall that is 100% upscale unless it is tiny because everone can not afford upscale things. However, the stores are just somewhat upscale. I know that most of the stores are somewhat upscale, but they also have a few lower end stores. The Summit does not have any "true" upscale stores. It also makes me mad when they think they are too upscale for Belk. So apperently they are to upscale for Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Burberry, Michael Kors, etc.... which Saks & Neiman's sell also.

Yes,some of them you mentiond are somewhat upscale: Abercrombie & Fitch, Ann Taylor, Pottery Barn, etc. Lenox Square is upscale. I mentioned that above. I am judging it by the amount of upscale stores, not the amount of middle and lower end stores. If I judged it by the amount of low end stores, a mall filled with stores at the same price range as Abercrombie & Fitch, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Coldwater Creek & Pottery Barn would be 100% upscale. You can not have a mall that is 100% upscale unless it is tiny because everone can not afford upscale things. However, the stores are just somewhat upscale. I know that most of the stores are somewhat upscale, but they also have a few lower end stores. The Summit does not have any "true" upscale stores. It also makes me mad when they think they are too upscale for Belk. So apperently they are to upscale for Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Burberry, Michael Kors, etc.... which Saks & Neiman's sell also.

You know, that's really cute that you would find time out of your "busy" life, to come over to our forums only to critize The Summit. I am going to educate you on upscale and luxury malls/centers, and then leave this discussion alone because it is pointless. The majority of the malls that you have named are luxury malls... therefore, they have a host of luxury stores, and boutiques. The Summit has it's share of luxury stores/boutiques without the trouble of having to go inside an enclosed mall. Who has ever said that The Summit was a luxury mall/center, but an upscale center it is, and it is only getting better. With the growing and stable wealth of this city, more upscale and luxury stores are bound to open shop at The Summit...I am pretty sure of it. The Summit is on the top end of upscale centers or all the malls that consider themselves upscale.

Bayer has done a great job of keeping this center interesting, and it will only get better. I personally believe that stores like Old Navy and other lower-end stores were put there, not only to add a little diversity, but to help to build the center into the great center that it is today. It is apparently doing something right, being that there are a host of license plates at The Summit from Metro Atlanta, and I am sure that they aren't just eating there. If they did not like The Summit, they could just wait until they get back home to do some exclusive, luxury shopping at Phipps Plaza, Lenox Square, or other places that they have over there...Birmingham is not that far from Atlanta.

I really hope that this has helped you to distinguish an "upscale" center from a "luxury" mall. Thank you and have a blessed evening.

You know, that's really cute that you would find time out of your "busy" life, to come over to our forums only to critize The Summit. I am going to educate you on upscale and luxury malls/centers, and then leave this discussion alone because it is pointless. The majority of the malls that you have named are luxury malls... therefore, they have a host of luxury stores, and boutiques. The Summit has it's share of luxury stores/boutiques without the trouble of having to go inside an enclosed mall. Who has ever said that The Summit was a luxury mall/center, but an upscale center it is, and it is only getting better. With the growing and stable wealth of this city, more upscale and luxury stores are bound to open shop at The Summit...I am pretty sure of it. The Summit is on the top end of upscale centers or all the malls that consider themselves upscale.

Bayer has done a great job of keeping this center interesting, and it will only get better. I personally believe that stores like Old Navy and other lower-end stores were put there, not only to add a little diversity, but to help to build the center into the great center that it is today. It is apparently doing something right, being that there are a host of license plates at The Summit from Metro Atlanta, and I am sure that they aren't just eating there. If they did not like The Summit, they could just wait until they get back home to do some exclusive, luxury shopping at Phipps Plaza, Lenox Square, or other places that they have over there...Birmingham is not that far from Atlanta.

I really hope that this has helped you to distinguish an "upscale" center from a "luxury" mall. Thank you and have a blessed evening.

Yeah, I guess that the Summit is upscale. Birmingham is Birmingham... not Atlanta, Charlotte, LA or NYC. So i guess it is upscale considering I was compring it to luxury malls, not upscale malls.

The Mall @ Green Hills in Nashville recently experienced an identity crisis similar to The Summit. Green Hills had a mix of retailers to serve most income brackets. In the last few years, Green Hills has stopped renewing leases of retailers such as Gymboree, Champs, Verizon, etc. In doing so; they have been able to attract retailers such as Louis Vutton, Tiffany, Juicy Couture, Burberry, Nordstrom (opening 2011), kate spade, etc.

Of course the new Nordstrom will be the 3rd anchor along with Macy

• 4 weeks later...

The Summit Birmingham will be getting a Brooks Brothers in the formal Harods location between Abercrombie & Fitch and Banana Republic. This will be Alabama's 2nd regular Brooks Brother's location, there is an outlet store in Foley, AL. The current regular location is in The Riverchase Galleria. The store will open Winter 2009.

I hope the new location at The Summit will look like this: http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/wp-con...ks-brothers.jpg

For awhile I've been wondering what would become of Brooks Brothers in reference to Birmingham, so it's good to see that they will be opening at the Summit. Now Bayer will have a difficult decision soon with the Bruno's location considering if they don't find a buyer soon, the store will be liquidated...

One of the things I've noticed about high-end apparel chains, such as Prada, Burberry, Calvin Klein and Dolce & Gabbana, is that they rarely open in lifestyle centers. Open-air lifestyle centers usually skewer toward upscale consumer electronics (Apple, Bose), accesories (Coach, Aldo) and home furnishings (Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware) as in-line tenants. The lack of upscale apparel stores doesn't make The Summit is downscale by any means.

One of the things I've noticed about high-end apparel chains, such as Prada, Burberry, Calvin Klein and Dolce & Gabbana, is that they rarely open in lifestyle centers. Open-air lifestyle centers usually skewer toward upscale consumer electronics (Apple, Bose), accesories (Coach, Aldo) and home furnishings (Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware) as in-line tenants. The lack of upscale apparel stores doesn't make The Summit is downscale by any means.

Thanks for the interesting perspective and trend on upscale lifestyle center when compared to enclosed upscale centers. Also welcome back to UrbanPlanet!

The Summit is in the midst of a transformation from being the original mixed-income lifestyle center to an exclusively upscale one. Aforementioned introduction of those other retailers may still occur since I know of 2 of 4 you mentioned actually opened at Easton Town Center in Columbus (OH), another open-air center, so it's not that farfetched.

• 2 weeks later...

I really think "this area" (Birmingham, Huntsville, Nashville) will benefit from these difficult, uncertain times. I have been to Tampa on several occasions recently to their luxury mall (International Plaza) and seen almost noone there during prime shopping hours. Some areas of the country have been devastated by housing prices falling sharply, job losses...and "this area" seems to be riding the wave thanks to many variables. Here in Huntsville, we were one of ten cities that saw housing prices appreciate, and we are certainly blessed to be tied heavily into defense -- high-paying, relatively secure jobs. Decatur had the greatest home appreciation in the COUNTRY. In Birmingham, when you go to The Summit, it is still (like always) packed with cars -- packed -- with people actually shopping and eating out. And, what a testament that stores like Brooks Brothers open in times like this. Nashville is somewhat protected by being so connected with the heathcare industry. Nashville and Birmingham both have retail centers that are capable of growth and evolution. Huntsville keeps chugging along. Anyway, the point is that when things start turning around, I think restaurants and retailers will turn to "this area" because it will not be left nearly as devastated. Yes, we are all affected; but, we are not in the shape that parts of Florida or California are (or about anywhere else). We have room to grow and improve, and we are rapidly becoming an oasis for people who see the relative safety in this area. They can afford a home and afford to shop and eat out if they move here. Their homes will retain their value here. They have some job security here. As people come, developers and big names follow. Regardless of that, I just think our being able to ride the wave without sinking will allow us to be a "starting point" when banks start lending money and retailers have enough confidence to expand. I really believe these slow times, that could still last another year or two, will end up being a boom for us. Thank God for Bayer and how well it manages its properties. Sure, Harolds went bankrupt and liquidated -- no problem -- in comes Brooks Brothers. Saks' Summit store is a very, very poor performer; but, should something happen to that store or Saks itself, I'm fully confident something even more appropriate will backfill it. "This area" is really a joke for so many, but we really are lucky to live here.

• 2 weeks later...

The announcement today with a press release is that the Bruno's/Vincent's Market store is one of the Bruno's stores that is going to start liquidating immediately. With this announcement, opens the opportunity for Bayer to began to move forward with its plans to revamp that part of the center. Ironically, the Nordstrom store was cancelled at Riverchase Galleria, and with Nordstrom having past negotiations at anchoring Phase II in the 90's leaves open a major possibility of store landing at the Summit.

The announcement today with a press release is that the Bruno's/Vincent's Market store is one of the Bruno's stores that is going to start liquidating immediately. With this announcement, opens the opportunity for Bayer to began to move forward with its plans to revamp that part of the center. Ironically, the Nordstrom store was cancelled at Riverchase Galleria, and with Nordstrom having past negotiations at anchoring Phase II in the 90's leaves open a major possibility of store landing at the Summit.

How do you know that they will still be opening a store at Birmingham? They could have changed their mind about opening there. So, Birmingham may not get one at all.

How do you know that they will still be opening a store at Birmingham? They could have changed their mind about opening there. So, Birmingham may not get one at all.

It wasn't Norstrom who cancelled the plans for opening at the mall. It was GGP due to their bankruptcy filing.

I knew that they have been looking for a store there for a while, but Nordstrom is not doing very good right know. However, one may open when the recession is over.

With everything going on with Bruno's, wouldn't it be interesting to see the Bruno's at the Summit torn down (it is closing last I heard) and rebuilt as a two-story Nordstrom. That would further cement the Summit as the premier Luxury to Semi-Luxury location in Birmingham. They have slowly been ridding the Summit of the lower end stores over time (as leases run out or as stores close) and recruiting higher end clients.

If the Bruno's was torn down and rebuilt, that entire end of the Summit could undergo an upgrade to make it more of a Shopping Plaza along the lines of the Saks Plaza. If they wanted to keep a grocer at the Summit, they might could carve out an out parcel from the parking lot and build a smaller size grocer such as Trader Joes.

With everything going on with Bruno's, wouldn't it be interesting to see the Bruno's at the Summit torn down (it is closing last I heard) and rebuilt as a two-story Nordstrom. That would further cement the Summit as the premier Luxury to Semi-Luxury location in Birmingham. They have slowly been ridding the Summit of the lower end stores over time (as leases run out or as stores close) and recruiting higher end clients.

If the Bruno's was torn down and rebuilt, that entire end of the Summit could undergo an upgrade to make it more of a Shopping Plaza along the lines of the Saks Plaza. If they wanted to keep a grocer at the Summit, they might could carve out an out parcel from the parking lot and build a smaller size grocer such as Trader Joes.

That's exactly what I've been hearing from some that just may occur since Bruno's is closing at the Summit. The Summit also has been pretty well even in this deep recession along with Bayer's success and 'pull' of the Summit brand could land them a major upscale retailer like Nordstrom without much effort.

What I've heard next is tenant to look out for exiting the Summit is Carmike since their lease expires soon.

That's exactly what I've been hearing from some that just may occur since Bruno's is closing at the Summit. The Summit also has been pretty well even in this deep recession along with Bayer's success and 'pull' of the Summit brand could land them a major upscale retailer like Nordstrom without much effort.

What I've heard next is tenant to look out for exiting the Summit is Carmike since their lease expires soon.

I've been hearing that Carmike was going to be forced out for some time now when their lease was up. I would expect to see Bayer go after a more upscale movie operator like Monaco (Bridge Street) or possibly even Rave. I think a Rave would do quite well at the Summit location although Rave may think Lee Branch is too close to there and would hurt theirselves too much.

Either way, I would actually expect the Carmike to be razed and whoever replace it to start from stratch. I don't see Bayer forgoing theaters entirely though; I think they have to keep a theater there to really remain a big draw for people. So many people will go shop a bit only to turn around and have dinner and top the night off with a movie... Only to go back out to one of the restaurant bars for drinks afterwards. Not having a theater would hurt them a lot I think.

I've been hearing that Carmike was going to be forced out for some time now when their lease was up. I would expect to see Bayer go after a more upscale movie operator like Monaco (Bridge Street) or possibly even Rave. I think a Rave would do quite well at the Summit location although Rave may think Lee Branch is too close to there and would hurt theirselves too much.

Either way, I would actually expect the Carmike to be razed and whoever replace it to start from stratch. I don't see Bayer forgoing theaters entirely though; I think they have to keep a theater there to really remain a big draw for people. So many people will go shop a bit only to turn around and have dinner and top the night off with a movie... Only to go back out to one of the restaurant bars for drinks afterwards. Not having a theater would hurt them a lot I think.

That makes a lot of sense. However, a lot of malls do good witout a movie theater.

• 3 weeks later...

Kayman, I've noticed that you saying that you knew someone working with Bayer; out of curiosity, do you know of any new restaurants that could be opening there in the new phase?

I've haven't heard anything on the new phase's restaurants. However, since you mentioned it I will find out and give you an update on that.

I've haven't heard anything on the new phase's restaurants. However, since you mentioned it I will find out and give you an update on that.

Cantina Laredo and RA Sushi is what I've got. There's a Cantina Laredo in Huntsville at Bridge Street.....Cantina Laredo are in The Western, Mid-West, and Southern states. Very nice puts you in the mind of an upper scale version of California Pizza Kitchen (Looks almost identical to the one at the Galleria). RA Sushi is pretty upscale and are in very young, hip, and upbeat but high income areas of the nation: Texas, California, Flordia, Illinois (Chicago), Neveda (Las Vegas), Arizonia, Maryland (Balitmore)...Atlanta, GA and Kansas City, KS are both coming this summer. Click here for more details: http://www.cantinalaredo.com/

Speaking of restaurants Zea Rotisserie & Grill is opening in the former Plaza III and Copper Grille location. The food looks very good though. The location are mostly in Louisianna, but there are locations in New Mexico, Flordia, Texas, and there is one in Mobile on Airport HWY. Click here for more details: http://www.zearestaurants.com/site3.php

Cantina Laredo and RA Sushi is what I've got. There's a Cantina Laredo in Huntsville at Bridge Street.....Cantina Laredo are in The Western, Mid-West, and Southern states. Very nice puts you in the mind of an upper scale version of California Pizza Kitchen (Looks almost identical to the one at the Galleria). RA Sushi is pretty upscale and are in very young, hip, and upbeat but high income areas of the nation: Texas, California, Flordia, Illinois (Chicago), Neveda (Las Vegas), Arizonia, Maryland (Balitmore)...Atlanta, GA and Kansas City, KS are both coming this summer. Click here for more details: http://www.cantinalaredo.com/

Speaking of restaurants Zea Rotisserie & Grill is opening in the former Plaza III and Copper Grille location. The food looks very good though. The location are mostly in Louisianna, but there are locations in New Mexico, Flordia, Texas, and there is one in Mobile on Airport HWY. Click here for more details: http://www.zearestaurants.com/site3.php

I'm not guessing that these restaurants are opening I'm almost certain BTW.

Archived