What's in Store for Arkansas in the Future?

mcheiss

The forgotten part of Arkansas, South-Central (Camden, El Dorado, Magnolia) is starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Ever since I moved here in February 2007, we have had scholarship programs launched by two school districts in Union county: The El Dorado Promise--funded by Murphy Oil to the tune of $50 million, and a separate one in Norphlet, also "privately funded" that will allow any graduating senior from those school districts to get their tuition paid in whole or in part, to the college of their choice.

I have also seen here in El Dorado that for every one business that closes down at least one or two other businesses open or expand. I expect that to improve as more people make the choice to live where their kids' college tuition is taken care of. That is mainly an initiative by the Board of Murphy Oil to incent people to relocate here and work for them. It made my decision to leave Tulsa a whole lot saner. This will also help grow Southark community college and nearby SAU and SAU-Tech.

The "El Dorado Forward" Tax initiative easily passed this April. This is an eight year 1-cent tax that will be used to fund infrastructure inprovements, urban beautification, economic development (i.e., get more major employers and small businesses to locate here) and a large, new conference center at the community college. That means there is an opportunity to improve roads, parks and public buildings, and to have a venue for large conferences and some regional conventions. El Dorado has no real convention center and this one will serve as both a convention venue and a student center on the off days. The tax can be rescinded at any time by a vote of the people if the monetary goals are reached early (or conversely, if the tax is mismanaged).

Murphy Oil is expanding and hiring new people every week. They currently have over 350 high-paying professional jobs in downtown El Do and are on track to add more.

I can't speak for Magnolia or Camden, but El Dorado is turning the corner. :thumbsup:

P.S. remember that the I-69 corridor will cross State hwy 7 between El Dorado and Smackover. Another plus on the horizon.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived