Colleges and Universities in Tough Neighborhoods

ctman987

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To reawaken this thread, I'm surprised John's Hopkins in Baltimore hasn't been mentioned. My parents wouldn't let me even apply for two reasons: 1 was the ridiculous cost ($44,000 a year is a tad on the high side) and 2 the terrible neighborhoods that border the campus.

In Virginia, I know that Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) gets a really bad name, as well as other schools in the city and region (Virginia Union University, Virginia State, etc)... VCU's not in the greatest section of downtown, but I didn't feel unsafe on or around campus when I visited. There is a large homeless population at Monroe Park, however, and makes the area appear a tad shady-seeming, but there's certainly not as many psychotic (not meaning offense, but rather diagnosing apparent mental problems) persons as live in the vicinity of Harvard when I visited.

And then CNU... My lovely school :) We're our own little bubble in Newport News. Parts of the city are pretty sketch--particularly the southern end of the city (dubbed, however, The East End). CNU, however, is having a positive impact on this section of the city, with hundreds of millions of dollars of investments and a rapidly increasing profile for the school. Our campus is pretty reminiscent of William and Mary -- wooded with large, collonaded brick buildings, and a cupola-topped library under construction.

Those are the examples I have that were not already mentioned, but I'll try to come up with others...

• 1 month later...

It's much less true these days about USC being in a bad neighborhood. The campus is self-contained, which helps, but much of the area just north and west of the campus is improving. The lower part of downtown LA is gentrifying, coming close to reaching the upper part of campus. Now due south of USC is not a good area.

It's much less true these days about USC being in a bad neighborhood. The campus is self-contained, which helps, but much of the area just north and west of the campus is improving. The lower part of downtown LA is gentrifying, coming close to reaching the upper part of campus. Now due south of USC is not a good area.

• 2 weeks later...
I would put SLU and WashU in that category of "tough neighborhoods". Although I would say that WashU is not exactly scary compared to many parts of the city. There are some incredible mansions and nice parts nearby that I visit.

To answer the original question though, I think established (based mainly on reputation and image) schools will draw students.

The University of Cincinnati had the tough neighborhood come to it, being located in one of the older inner suburbs of the actual city itself. When my dad was there in the 70's he once told me a story of having to call the cops after witnessing from his apartment window a sunbathing female student across the street in Burnet Woods get attacked and stabbed (luckily I believe she survived).

I was recently down there with him during a family trip and have found that while there is still a lot of work to be done in terms of revitalizing the surrounding university neighborhood but there is also a lot which has been done that has made it look a lot better.

Archived