Raleigh to dedicate "Glimpes of the Promised Land"

ncwebguy

Glimpes of the Promised Land [raleighnc.gov] will be dedicated Saturday Sept. 16th at 10 am.

I have not been over there to check it out yet, but saw the preliminary sketches when they came to the CAC for approval. It is the "acceptable" public art (figures of people) but is kinetic as well. It will be interesting to see what kind of reception the piece receives. Does anyone remember the old airplane being in Chavis Park?

This, plus the moving of the Carosel to the middle of Chavis, will hopefully make the park a lot more lively and get more use.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this. It should be a great event. I am not sure what ncwebguy is implying by calling this "acceptable art" as there are no "figures of people". What I do know is that it was chosen unanimously from the submitted pieces by a task force made up, in part, of neighborhood representatives. There is every indication that it is being embraced by the community and the City and the Chavis Neighborhood groups are working with the City on the event. To see the actual piece, click here: http://mikeroig.com/ When the piece is in motion, with the skyline in the background, it is something to see.

It is wonderful piece of public art and I hope you all can make the dedication or at least pop over to Chavis Park and see it!

Thank you for posting this. I will make it a point to stop by and see this soon.

I have to admit, though, that I am not a huge fan of the 'kinetic art'. There is some of this kinetic stuff at the NC Art Museum (Example on right side of the pic from http://www.ncmoa.org/museumpark.shtml ), to me, it looks shabby. However, the description of the art @ Chavis should be much better.

I thought part of the piece would incorporate at least busts (if not bodies) of some of the Tuskegee Airmen and/or John Chavis at the base with the kinetic piece rising above... "Accepted art" downtown includes the statues in Capitol Square, the firefighters' memorial in Nash Square, etc. This was recommended by area residents and outright rejected/ignored.

The "citizens" who were on the panel lived in Chavis Heights, which was emptied over a year ago, has been torn down, and new construction has yet to start.

I don't know what qualifies as "Chavis Neighborhood groups", but I am secretary of the South Central CAC (covering from about East Street to Poole Road, New Bern Ave to 440) and we have heard nothing of the project since the presentation of the recommendation early this year.

The skyline from the Community Center here is quite impressive, especially at night.

Archived