Harris Poll reveals favorite U.S. states; S.C. not on the list

Charles Pearson

Sorry my-home-birth-state away from home...but SC didn't make the Top 3 most populous states in a Harris Poll survey where adults would choose to live if they could live in another state than outside their own state, nor did SC even crack the Top 15. While progressive North Carolina came in 4th...I guess I'm among the most populous being my home address has been in California since 1983 when I departed a now defunct Eastern Airlines from Charleston to San Francisco in 1983...

Among cities, Harris poll listed San Francisco at #2, and New York #1...

...but really it's just a poll, a survey...

BUT tell me what State you would choose to live in other than South Carolina, and what City? I am curious to know how real South Carolinians would vote...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If money were no issue It would be as follows in no particular order:

States:

Colorado

Oregon

California

Washington

Cities:

Chicago

DC

Boston

Denver

San Diego

Atlanta

Portland

Honorable mention (only b/c I've spent so little time there)

Minneapolis

Not too surprised by the poll results though. SC has a long way to go before shaking it's less than progressive image in the national eye. I think NC has always had a one up on SC in that regard even going back to the civil war, but that's another ball of wax.

I honestly would not put much stock in these polls. People usually put 0 thought into a poll and if they asked the follow up question "When do you plan to move to that state" I bet the ranking would be much different. Most likely people answered with the state they are most familiar with and not many people are that familiar with SC except for possibly Myrtle Beach and Charleston and only if the person lives on the East coast.

I always say that people vote with their feet and what would be more interesting would be to see a ranking of domestic migration. If you look at that, you would find that several of these places at the top of the list would be losing people when you remove the effects international immigration.

Sorry my-home-birth-state away from home...but SC didn't make the Top 3 most populous states in a Harris Poll survey where adults would choose to live if they could live in another state than outside their own state, nor did SC even crack the Top 15. While progressive North Carolina came in 4th...I guess I'm among the most populous being my home address has been in California since 1983 when I departed a now defunct Eastern Airlines from Charleston to San Francisco in 1983...

Among cities, Harris poll listed San Francisco at #2, and New York #1...

...but really it's just a poll, a survey...

BUT tell me what State you would choose to live in other than South Carolina, and what City? I am curious to know how real South Carolinians would vote...

That

North Carolina ranks well for its climate, that may have something to do with it. Where i have it bolded, the town i grew up in NC, is a great example of that. I dont think SC has a long long long way to go, its inevitable that more and more progress will be evident statewide, even in places you would have not thought possible. That of course, if the towns are willing to accept change.

What town in N.C. did you grow up in, Jerseyman? I thought you were born and bred in Jersey? :P

You are right, there are a few progressive towns and cities in S.C., usually as a result of outside influence. College towns and resorts areas have been made more progressive or cosmopolitan with an influx of transplants from more liberal northern cities or foreign countries, as is true of many places across the country. Beaufort, Hilton Head, Aiken, parts of Charleston and Myrtle Beach, and Columbia all share this distinction. I never cease to be amazed at pockets of progressiveness in many other towns, as well, as I travel the state. I share your hope that this will continue.

What town in N.C. did you grow up in, Jerseyman? I thought you were born and bred in Jersey? :P

The NC Sandhills community of Pinehurst

Florida is too far or crowded; they like them best (subjective there); their families have gone there for generations; they own houses/property which are cheaper than their own states; not as hot (that may not be true, though).

Thats what they think when they get there. Many people after a while get tired of the constant heat & humidity and population sprawl density along the coastline. Then, people discover the Carolinas and never thought it offers a lot what Florida does but its cheaper and closer to the northeast and midwest. Florida may have clear water beaches but thats about it. If I-95 and I-75 did not connect FL directly, it would not be seeing all of this explosive growth up and down the coastlines (including the inland city of Orlando via FL Turnpike).

Archived