Gateway Towne Center: I-30 & I-430

19 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

Hopefully they get some actual good stores soon, I know the Converse store is open, not bad, nothing in my size but some good prices. Pie Five is going right near Dave & Buster's, they are building what looks like a small strip retail line. Hopefully they will also land some more new to market restaurants. I have not see any construction or even prep work started yet on the Movie Tavern, the lot is untouched though it is not listed as available so hopefully that means this is still a go. 

-R

As far as I know it's still a go.  It's not supposed to open until next year so that's probably why you haven't seen any construction or prep work yet.  

10 hours ago, Architect said:

I've lived in LR my whole life and have never experienced any issues at Park Plaza, even recently.  I'm not saying there haven't been any, but that's a risk at any retail center.  Park Plaza is one of the finest retail developments in the region, and I, for one, will continue to frequent it to help ensure that it stays that way.

I will agree with you that the riff raff goes everywhere.  I read recently in the paper about women getting their purses snatched at Promenade and the Chenal Kroger.  I also agree with you that Park Plaza is a great retail development and has been for a very long time.  I've also lived in LR my entire life and have not experienced many problems with Park Plaza...except for the last three years.  My wife was shopping at Dillard's and some of the riff raff got so close to her trying to stick his hand in her purse that she ended up having to treat him to some mace.  Two years ago, my son and I were shoved onto an escalator by a guy throwing more racial slurs than a bad comedy show.  Two sheriff's deputies had to take him into custody while fighting off a crowd of 12 of his buddies.  During the holidays last year my kids and I went to Park Plaza to return and exchange Christmas gifts and were caught in a full on brawl with what had to be hundreds of high school / college age students in the food court.  I had a table thrown at my face so hard that I had to get stitches on my left eye.  My 5 year old daughter was hit with a chair in the back and won't go back to the mall at all.  Last month my wife took a gift back to Park Plaza to exchange for the right size and walked into a group of 20 women who seemed to be having a brawl / hair pulling contest in front of Gearhead which moving into the other end of the ground floor with 8 security guards trying to break up the fight.  

I love Park Plaza too.  I hope it keeps its stores and does great business for many years to come.  I hope it keeps contributing to Midtown being a great place.  But after all these experiences I've mentioned above, I will not be going to Park Plaza for a while.  I'll also say that Promenade isn't as good as Park Plaza.  It doesn't have the stores or enough of the good ones to compete.  But it's good enough to serve Chenal.  I'm also huge Apple user so as long as the Apple Store is at Promenade, I'll be a patron there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LRretail said:

I will agree with you that the riff raff goes everywhere.  I read recently in the paper about women getting their purses snatched at Promenade and the Chenal Kroger.  I also agree with you that Park Plaza is a great retail development and has been for a very long time.  I've also lived in LR my entire life and have not experienced many problems with Park Plaza...except for the last three years.  My wife was shopping at Dillard's and some of the riff raff got so close to her trying to stick his hand in her purse that she ended up having to treat him to some mace.  Two years ago, my son and I were shoved onto an escalator by a guy throwing more racial slurs than a bad comedy show.  Two sheriff's deputies had to take him into custody while fighting off a crowd of 12 of his buddies.  During the holidays last year my kids and I went to Park Plaza to return and exchange Christmas gifts and were caught in a full on brawl with what had to be hundreds of high school / college age students in the food court.  I had a table thrown at my face so hard that I had to get stitches on my left eye.  My 5 year old daughter was hit with a chair in the back and won't go back to the mall at all.  Last month my wife took a gift back to Park Plaza to exchange for the right size and walked into a group of 20 women who seemed to be having a brawl / hair pulling contest in front of Gearhead which moving into the other end of the ground floor with 8 security guards trying to break up the fight.  

I love Park Plaza too.  I hope it keeps its stores and does great business for many years to come.  I hope it keeps contributing to Midtown being a great place.  But after all these experiences I've mentioned above, I will not be going to Park Plaza for a while.  I'll also say that Promenade isn't as good as Park Plaza.  It doesn't have the stores or enough of the good ones to compete.  But it's good enough to serve Chenal.  I'm also huge Apple user so as long as the Apple Store is at Promenade, I'll be a patron there.

Wow...crazy.  I can't say that I blame you.  That's super unfortunate (and regrettable) that you experienced all of that!  I hope that's been the exception for most patrons.  I'll admit that I haven't been to the mall as much the past few years; I now live further away, and of course retail is changing.  I too hope Park Plaza stays strong...certainly McCain has not.

p.s.  I'm also a huge Apple user...so I'll admit I've been at the Promenade more than I have Park Plaza the past five years.

21 hours ago, theman said:

Arkansas Business is reporting that a tru by Hilton will be built next to the Movie Tavern. It is being developed by the Pinnacle Hotel Group, the same company that is building the new Hilton Garden Inn downtown.

Looks like a solid development.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/111578/9m-tru-by-hilton-hotel-to-open-at-gateway-town-center

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, SangreRaVen said:

I noticed they are putting yet another nail salon in the little retail strip that Pie Five Pizza is in... I swear we have like 5 of these things at every major retail complex and 1-2 at every other regular strip mall or retail area... just how many nail salons do you really need in one are?

***crossing my fingers for a mattress store***

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SangreRaVen said:

I went by Pie Five yesterday and notice the spot on the opposite end of the building from them was being worked on. There was a sign on the door advising of the application for a liquor licence for Beer and Wine. Looks like a restaurant of some sort, hopefully something new and good :)

Tazikis has plans on opening a location around there. I wonder if that could be it?

Possibly, I did notice this spot is set up for a drive through as well.. I was kind of hoping for something totally new... I know that they are planning on doing a large strip of retail and restaurants along the back side of the Gateway complex over by where the eventual Movie Tavern will go... I wonder if Tazikis would go there instead. 

-R 

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Allen Alexander said:

I'm starting to get skeptic about this area. The whole area beside and behind the mall is empty. It's not even sold. I really hope something happens to help this area

There was supposed to be a Movie Tavern going in behind the mall, construction was scheduled to start in 2016 but that is looking unlikely.  I searched as best I could and found nothing other than the original announcements back in January.  I looked on their website through press releases but it mostly seems to be when locations were opening/renovated.  I don't know if anyone else has heard anything recently.

1 hour ago, Gentileking said:

There was supposed to be a Movie Tavern going in behind the mall, construction was scheduled to start in 2016 but that is looking unlikely.  I searched as best I could and found nothing other than the original announcements back in January.  I looked on their website through press releases but it mostly seems to be when locations were opening/renovated.  I don't know if anyone else has heard anything recently.

I don't know of any obvious reason why Movie Tavern would be on hold (other than it hasn't yet started).  The latest article I found about the project was in Arkansas Business in August, only 3 months ago.

1 hour ago, Gentileking said:

I know that a Tru by Hilton was supposed to start construction also. Nothing seems to be happening here at all. And it's crazy that there is all that area to develop and nothing is happening but if you go a few minutes away to bryant and benton then there are multiple new commercial projects being built.