Gateway Towne Center: I-30 & I-430

On November 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Allen Alexander said:

I know that a Tru by Hilton was supposed to start construction also. Nothing seems to be happening here at all. And it's crazy that there is all that area to develop and nothing is happening but if you go a few minutes away to bryant and benton then there are multiple new commercial projects being built.

They have been quiet lately on providing any updates to the area.   What happened to the entertainment and restaurant development section of the Gateway Grove area (besides Dave and Buster's, upcoming Movie Tavern, and Taziki's)? I hope something exciting still comes.

10 hours ago, Allen Alexander said:

I was at the outlet mall and was surprised to see that there were still multiple open store fronts. The back left corner is a big store and is not occupied. You'd expect something to be there by now

It's interesting to recall what was once envisioned, and how it compares with the development today.

Little_Rock_-_Merchandising_Plan_-_10-2-14_(1).pdf

8 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

yeah, sadly that outlet mall has a lot of open spots on the back side of it. They have even lost a few places since they opened originally and are still rather underwhelming 

-R

This is why they should have bring new to the market stores (H&M) because it would have been different from what other nearby cities (Conway, Benton, NLR) currently have. People is not going to drive all the way to the Outlet Mall just shop at Old Navy, Maurice's, Lane Bryant, or other stores that is already in the metro area. They should have listen to people requests when they first open the mall last year.

Edited by ecity3138

I'd still watch the Restoration Hardware space. Having a furniture store does broaden the appeal of the shopping center, but only if it generates decent customer traffic and, ultimately, satisfactory revenue.  Even with discounts, some of the RH price points are pretty high for many shoppers passing through the development.

On 11/29/2016 at 2:47 PM, ecity3138 said:

This is why they should have bring new to the market stores (H&M) because it would have been different from what other nearby cities (Conway, Benton, NLR) currently have. People is not going to drive all the way to the Outlet Mall just shop at Old Navy, Maurice's, Lane Bryant, or other stores that is already in the metro area. They should have listen to people requests when they first open the mall last year.

Because it's an OUTLET mall, and not merely a duplication of mainline stores.  Example:  the product and pricing for Banana Republic is different than their mainline store at Park Plaza.

• 3 weeks later...

The Limited Outlet is closing at the Outlet Mall. They have posted store closing signs all over the store. 

Also, it appears that work has finally began on the site where the Movie Tavern is supposed to be. I wonder what any other potential tenants currently planned at The Grove project. 

On 11/30/2016 at 3:21 PM, Architect said:

Because it's an OUTLET mall, and not merely a duplication of mainline stores.  Example:  the product and pricing for Banana Republic is different than their mainline store at Park Plaza.

Old Navy, Lids, and Maurice's are basically the same as any other stores in the metro area. H&M and The Polo Outlet (for example) would have been perfect for the Outlet Mall and lured other new to the market stores there. A lot of people said that the price at some of the Outlet stores are not that much different from the regular stores at other nearby malls.

Edited by ecity3138

7 minutes ago, ecity3138 said:

The Limited Outlet is closing at the Outlet Mall. They have posted store closing signs all over the store. 

Also, it appears that work has finally began on the site where the Movie Tavern is supposed to be. I wonder what any other potential tenants currently planned at The Grove project. 

Hmmm...that's discouraging about the Limited.  That can't be a good sign (unless Limited as a whole is having trouble?).

Good new, I presume, on the Movie Tavern site.

8 hours ago, dnashobviously said:

Rumors are that all Limited stores are closing after the CEO has jumped ship and apparently the stores are having like huge 70% off sales according to a quick Google search I just did.

That's definitely what's happening at the almost vacant Park Plaza store, sale-wise. And online, it goes to 80% off in some cases, notably with the advisory that all sales are final and that 10 business days should be allowed for processing. According to WWD, there's an active search for a buyer of the chain as a going concern, but it may be liquidated if no one is interested in acquiring. Alternatively, like Aéropostale from earlier this year, the intellectual property of The Limited is being shopped around to various brand management firms.

1 hour ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

That's definitely what's happening at the almost vacant Park Plaza store, sale-wise. And online, it goes to 80% off in some cases, notably with the advisory that all sales are final and that 10 business days should be allowed for processing. According to WWD, there's an active search for a buyer of the chain as a going concern, but it may be liquidated if no one is interested in acquiring. Alternatively, like Aéropostale from earlier this year, the intellectual property of The Limited is being shopped around to various brand management firms.

Not that I wish ill-will on any business or organization, but that's good to hear - that the closing isn't really a reflection on this particular market.  In fact, I noticed that Tulsa doesn't appear to even have a Limited store anymore (whereas we have two...main store at PP and the outlet store).

2 hours ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

I feel better after doing a bit of research that Limited is literally the only brand affected. I thought the other brands had been spun off or bought by other companies but wasn't sure. looks like Express, Victoria's Secret, Pink, Lane Bryant, etc. are all safe.

16 hours ago, adman0468 said:

I feel better after doing a bit of research that Limited is literally the only brand affected. I thought the other brands had been spun off or bought by other companies but wasn't sure. looks like Express, Victoria's Secret, Pink, Lane Bryant, etc. are all safe.

Even though the Lane Bryant store in Park Plaza is closing but maybe the market in Little Rock is the reason for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was walking around the Outlet Mall yesterday and noticed a couple of vacant storefronts throughout the entire center. Toysrus Express has just closed along with the Limited Outlet (though all the Limited Stores are closing rather the location itself). They have got to do better with brining new stores that are new to the area regardless if the national retailer have a presence mainline store or not. 

The Outlet Mall had so much potential when it first opened back in October 2015 and to see a couple of empty storefronts is rather disappointing.

Edited by ecity3138

2 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

I was walking around the Outlet Mall yesterday and noticed a couple of vacant storefronts throughout the entire center. Toysrus Express has just closed along with the Limited Outlet (though all the Limited Stores are closing rather the location itself). They have got to do better with brining new stores that are new to the area regardless if the national retailer have a presence mainline store or not. 

The Outlet Mall had so much potential when it first opened back in October 2015 and to see a couple of empty storefronts is rather disappointing.

I wouldn't take that as a sign that it is or is not succeeding.  There are retail spaces at Chenal Promenade that have NEVER been occupied.  Frankly, I think the store mix at The Outlets is pretty impressive for this market, assuming it proves successful.

the candy store at the outlet mall has closed as well. Honestly, if one major store like h&m or polo open up in one of the large unleased spots, then the other smaller spots will probably be filled. Also, the whole area behind the outlet mall should soon be developed which would help the outlet mall as a whole. i really hope that area in the back will not be empty land like it is now.

13 hours ago, Allen Alexander said:

the candy store at the outlet mall has closed as well. Honestly, if one major store like h&m or polo open up in one of the large unleased spots, then the other smaller spots will probably be filled. Also, the whole area behind the outlet mall should soon be developed which would help the outlet mall as a whole. i really hope that area in the back will not be empty land like it is now.

Movie Tavern has already started construction, which will only add to the draw/traffic alongside Dave & Busters, Bass Pro, etc.