Gateway Towne Center: I-30 & I-430

Visitor here from the NW Arkansas forum.  Congrats on the announcement (Ouachita Baptist's Rex Nelson was talking about it).  I have a question.

I know Conway's part of the true Little Rock metro area.  Little Rock is also paired with the Pine Bluff metro and Searcy micropolitan areas for the combined metro area.

Sorry if this has been discussed before (didn't want to make a new thread for that reason) but...why isn't Hot Springs in the combined metro? I know HS and LR share a city (Hot Springs Village) in their combined areas.  Don't know what HS' growth is but I'm guessing people will come from there to shop at this new development, too.  Is there simply too much forest between Hot Springs proper and Benton/Bryant for the two areas to be counted in the CMA?

Thanks in advance.

Visitor here from the NW Arkansas forum.  Congrats on the announcement (Ouachita Baptist's Rex Nelson was talking about it).  I have a question.

I know Conway's part of the true Little Rock metro area.  Little Rock is also paired with the Pine Bluff metro and Searcy micropolitan areas for the combined metro area.

Sorry if this has been discussed before (didn't want to make a new thread for that reason) but...why isn't Hot Springs in the combined metro? I know HS and LR share a city (Hot Springs Village) in their combined areas.  Don't know what HS' growth is but I'm guessing people will come from there to shop at this new development, too.  Is there simply too much forest between Hot Springs proper and Benton/Bryant for the two areas to be counted in the CMA?

Thanks in advance.

I think that a county is included in the MSA if a certain percentage of the population commutes for employment to the core population center.  The Little Rock/North Little Rock MSA is Pulaski, Saline, Faulkner, Lonoke, Perry and Grant Counties.  

Pine Bluff is its own MSA, comprised of Jefferson, Drew, and Lincoln Counties.  Searcy and White County is an mSA.  

Pine Bluff and Searcy are included in the Combined Little Rock MSA based on their connection to Little Rock.  

There's not a large enough percentage of people commuting between Hot Springs and Little Rock to cross the threshold and bring Hot Springs into the combined MSA.  Hot Springs is its own MSA.  It has a combined MSA with Hot Spring County.  I think that the fact that a large percentage of people from Hot Spring County travel to Garland County for work also plays a factor in making Hot Springs its own MSA. 

At least that's the way I understand it. 

Edited by Arkanzin

Thanks, Arkanzin.

I was kind of surprised to see (on Wiki, which can frequently have accuracy issues) that Hot Spring County isn't in the Hot Springs metro area.  (Disappointed, too, if only for the thought of those who call it "Hot Springs County" or "Hot Spring, Arkansas" when the two are mentioned.)  It will be interesting to see if Hot SpringS ever makes it into the Little Rock combined metro area.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It appears that land clearing operations began yesterday on the Outlets at Little Rock site.  By the evening commute, roughly 100yds wide x the depth of the site had been cleared beginning on the Bass Pro side and moving east towards where the eventual Bass Pro Parkway will meet the I-30 service road.  Signs went up roughly a month ago for the development listing a website, but it's just a placeholder with contact info: http://www.outletsatlittlerock.com

Edited by TAF

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, they can negotiate with a Pappadeaux, Joe's Crab Shack, or a Cheesecake Factory to come to this development and not a McDonald's, Sonic, or Wendy's.

A couple different outlets have very recently reported that Joe's Crab Shack and Red Robin were looking into locations for the LR market.  Either or those should work well there.

A couple different outlets have very recently reported that Joe's Crab Shack and Red Robin were looking into locations for the LR market.  Either or those should work well there.

There's one in Fayetteville and one in Rogers, so if they're looking into entering the LR market that center might be a good opportunity for them. Though I'm surprised if they were looking for a while that they didn't throw one in Shackleford Crossings, McCain area, or somewhere out west.

I really doubt we will ever see a Joe's and I know Red Robin was rumored with Shackleford a few years back

I could see these two restaurants eventually end up at the Gateway Towne Center in the future. The same company that owns Macaroni Grill also owns Joe's Crab Shack. The developer at Shackleford Crossing was having financial problems at one time which caused some tenants to pull away.

Edited by ecity3138

Where did you hear that?

Here is one article, I cannot find the other. http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/99661/declining-vacancy-rate-marks-retail-market?page=all

The mention from the article "CVS Pharmacy and Dick’s Sporting Goods are scouting site possibilities, and eateries such as Red Robin and Joe’s Crab Shack are looking to make their market debuts."

Here is one article, I cannot find the other. http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/99661/declining-vacancy-rate-marks-retail-market?page=all

The mention from the article "CVS Pharmacy and Dick’s Sporting Goods are scouting site possibilities, and eateries such as Red Robin and Joe’s Crab Shack are looking to make their market debuts."

Hopefully, these companies (specifically Joe's Crab Shack and Red Robin) will soon open a location in the Little Rock Market. Wasn't CVS Pharmacy and Kum and Go suppose to go on the former Brandon House site at the intersection of 12th and University? I remember reading an article early this year on the Arkansas Business website stating these two tenants were looking at the former Brandon House property. I wonder what happened? Edited by ecity3138

Hopefully, these companies (specifically Joe's Crab Shack and Red Robin) will soon open a location in the Little Rock Market. Wasn't CVS Pharmacy and Kum and Go suppose to go on the former Brandon House site at the intersection of 12th and University? I remember reading an article early this year on the Arkansas Business website stating these two tenants were looking at the former Brandon House property. I wonder what happened?

The neighborhood next to this property opposed the development. It has a history of doing this for the development of this property going back before the Brandon House building was built. At one time a 12+ floor hotel was going to be built there but the neighborhood raised hell and as you know it never happened.

The neighborhood opposed in particular the gas station that was going to be placed on the property.  The neighborhood didn't want another gas station there since there are several within of a couple of a mile radius including one right across 12th St.  They fought the placement of a gas station there just like people are fighting the placement of a gas station at Cantrell and Taylor Loop and how one was rejected for downtown Little Rock off Broadway.

The neighborhood opposed in particular the gas station that was going to be placed on the property.  The neighborhood didn't want another gas station there since there are several within of a couple of a mile radius including one right across 12th St.  They fought the placement of a gas station there just like people are fighting the placement of a gas station at Cantrell and Taylor Loop and how one was rejected for downtown Little Rock off Broadway.

When the gas station was first purposed there were also plans for a hotel to be between the station and the neighborhood. They were opposed to this also. I don't understand why there is a problem with the station on Cantrell and Taylor Loop because that part of Cantrell is a traffic joke long in the making.

When the gas station was first purposed there were also plans for a hotel to be between the station and the neighborhood. They were opposed to this also. I don't understand why there is a problem with the station on Cantrell and Taylor Loop because that part of Cantrell is a traffic joke long in the making.

Agreed...I'm just dumbfounded about the opposition of a gas station on a strip, suburban street already pilfered with banks, shopping centers, restaurants.  Since when was a gas station controversial in that kind of environment?  I guess they don't realize they don't live in a neighborhood where it matters...clearly (like the urban core proposed Broadway gas station, or if one were planned in the middle of Hillcrest on Kavanaugh).

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any updates to the development regarding tenants at the outlet mall and other tenants in addition to the outlet mall beside Cavendar Boot store (which I'm not impressed with)?

Is Cavendar's a tenant of the outlet mall?  I thought it was located on a parcel of land outside the outlet mall property.