Gateway Towne Center: I-30 & I-430

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, dnashobviously said:

This place seems to be flopping.  Didn’t they have a carnival in the parking lot recently?

I wouldn't be so sure about that...a chocolate store closing is hardly a key metric.  The last time we were out there (recently), it was pretty busy.

9 minutes ago, Architect said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that...a chocolate store closing is hardly a key metric.  The last time we were out there (recently), it was pretty busy.

I think more so the fact they needed revenue so bad that they setup a carnival in the parking lot is more of a key indicator at the lack of success.  

8 hours ago, dnashobviously said:

I think more so the fact they needed revenue so bad that they setup a carnival in the parking lot is more of a key indicator at the lack of success.  

I wouldn't read anything from that. The closures of county fairs and such has those outfits searching for venues. It's easy revenue for the property owner. Most parking lots are way overbuilt.  They set up in the NWA mall lot in early spring and late fall at times in the mall's heyday.

19 hours ago, dnashobviously said:

This place seems to be flopping.  Didn’t they have a carnival in the parking lot recently?

Malls are closing around the country.  Ownership companies are going bankrupt around the country.  This is because brick and mortar retail stores are closing because of online shopping.  There's a huge transition going on in our economy and malls are going to be a major victim.  The pandemic has hastened this too.  Malls were even closing before the explosion of Amazon or the pandemic.  What we will start to see is they will have to drop rent, and you will see an increase of local businesses in malls as opposed to national chains.  Older malls will be torn down and some have even been converted to low income housing.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The new large QT travel stop is nearing completion. New signs show a place called Trader Bills Marine is building a new location behind the new gas station. Does anyone know what the plans are for the new construction going on across the interstate from the mall. It looks like another strip center which wouldn’t be too surprising.