September 11, 2006... reflecting

dimebag1980

This evening I went down to the riverfront for an hour of reflection with Shreveport-Bossier dignitaries and public servants. It was a very nice event, and truly from the heart. On hand were police officers and firefighters from both Shreveport and Bossier City, as well as members of either the Seattle Police Department or Seattle Fire Department. Pardon my bad memory. :wacko: I wasn't as prepared as this female photographer who I saw taking notes. But I will be prepared at the next event. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'd like to share with you the following 19 photos from this evening's event...

Shreveport Mayoral hopeful Jerry Jones visits with citizens before the start of the ceremony

186584450.jpg

A Shreveport Police Sergeant stands with her mounted patrol horse before the start of the ceremony

186584446.jpg

The Centenary College Choir performs "America the Beautiful" at the start of the ceremony

186584455.jpg

And the bagpiper plays on... Amazing Grace... how sweet the sound...

186586404.jpg

At attention

186572071.jpg

Silent in prayer

186572075.jpg

Presentation of the colors

186572079.jpg

Shreveport Fire Chief Kelvin Cochran gives a speech as dignitaries look on

186572082.jpg

186572057.jpg

L-R (in white shirts) Caddo Sheriff Steve Prator and Shreveport Mayor Keith Hightower listen to Chief Cochran

186572085.jpg

A round of applause for Chief Cochran

186572089.jpg

Shreveport Police Chief Mike Campbell (left) speaks to an officer after the ceremony

186572095.jpg

A giant American flag hangs from the extended ladders of two Shreveport Fire Department engines

186573668.jpg

186573677.jpg

186573680.jpg

186573696.jpg

The Shreveport skyline can be seen in the background of Riverview Park after the ceremony

186573692.jpg

The following two photos are of ribbons which adorned the entire riverfront area. On them, the names of 9-11 victims. I was proud to see that a local TV news reporter saw me photographing these ribbons and then called his cameraman over to photograph them as well.

186573673.jpg

186573707.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was wonderful Brian. Thanks for sharing those nice pics. Very nice(touching) event in memory of 9-11. That really means alot that you attended. Hard to believe it's already been 5 years. I like all the shots, but the fountains with the American Flag and the AmSouth Bank in the background was cool.

That was wonderful Brian. Thanks for sharing those nice pics. Very nice(touching) event in memory of 9-11. That really means alot that you attended. Hard to believe it's already been 5 years. I like all the shots, but the fountains with the American Flag and the AmSouth Bank in the background was cool.

Thanks, Richy. I think it was even more important that I attended because I was in the minority. By that I mean the public turnout was extremely disappointing. I couldn't help but be saddened as I looked around, by the tiny crowd in attendance. Our dignitaries and public servants went out of their way to put on this ceremony in memory of the 9-11 tragedy, but very few people turned out.

I even saw myself on the 10:00 news tonight. It was hard to be in attendance there and not make it on the news since there were so few people.

This country/society has a bad memory and seemed to have gone back to its complacent ways. Not good. That is sad about the low attendance. Most people take these freedoms for granted.

I don't think it is as much that as much as for 99.999% of this country 9/11 was a television event. They don't know anyone affected by the event, and I would say a majority of Americans have never been to NYC. 1/2 a decade is a long time to keep something of that relevance at the center of attention except to note its passing.

I also think that many Americans feel foolish 5 years later because they supported a government that used the event as an excuse to do pretty much as it wants. Because of it we are tied down in Iraq and most of the world hates what we have done. 9/11 dredges up all of that too, so I would say that most people want to put it behind them and move on. And like the politicians, the media has had dished out a orgy of 9/11 programming in hopes to improve programming. I think most people are simply tired of hearing about it.

A generation from now, 9/11 will be something that school kids have to memorize in school and not much else.

Archived