Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigboyz05

I-30 reconstruction more detailed.

7 posts in this topic

News

TWELVE FEATURES OF NOTE:

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:07 AM CDT

One-way ticket to the front:

NUMBER 1-One way frontage roads will stretch from Jefferson Avenue in Arkansas to Kings Highway in Texas. They are designed to allow motorists to travel from one end to another without having to get on the interstate. They will do this by using turnarounds, or

makeover for the next four years

A two-state tangle :

NUMBER 8-The Jefferson Avenue bridge is already in the process of being reconstructed. In an interesting twist, road work done in the state of Arkansas between State Line Avenue and Jefferson Avenue will be contracted through the Texas Department of Transportation, but paid for by the state of Arkansas.

A CLOSER LOOK:

NUMBER 9-Once completed, the basic overpass (see inset) will feature four traffic lanes, two in each direction. It will also feature two turning lanes, and the turnarounds (or goof loops) on each side, outside the lanes of traffic. The traffic traveling in the turnarounds will be going in the opposite direction of the traffic on the overpass.

A flight of fancy:

NUMBER 10-The I-30/U.S. Highway 59 interchange is being completely reconstructed for more direct access. Interlacing overpasses, or flyovers, will be used to get from the frontage roads to Jarvis Parkway and back. There is also a turnaround at the Highway 59/New Boston Road intersection underneath the loop.

NUMBER 10-The I-30/U.S. Highway 59 interchange is being completely reconstructed for more direct access. Interlacing overpasses, or flyovers, will be used to get from the frontage roads to Jarvis Parkway and back. There is also a turnaround at the Highway 59/New Boston Road intersection underneath the loop.

Four-leaf over:

NUMBER 11-The State Line Avenue interchange is also getting a face lift. The classic clover-leaf exchange is being redone in favor of something more direct. The exit and entrance ramps will be similar to those at Summerhill and Richmond. For example, westbound drivers will exit for State Line just past Jefferson.

How it will unfold:

NUMBER 12-While highway officials don

NUMBER 1-One way frontage roads will stretch from Jefferson Avenue in Arkansas to Kings Highway in Texas. They are designed to allow motorists to travel from one end to another without having to get on the interstate. They will do this by using turnarounds, or

This item stood out to me. I love the "goof loops" and I wish they used those in my area. There is already one in Texarkana at one interchange on the west side loop. These, along with the one-way frontage roads, are common in Arlington, near Six Flags.

The one-way access roads and turnarounds either on overpasses or underneath elevated highways are the norm in DFW and should be used everywhere. Jackson, MS uses them well on I-55 through town. LR/NLR was very late to the game and now it will very difficult and expensive to gradually replace them where the access roads exist (along I-30 in parts, along US 67/167, etc). The only one of these I know of is for McCain as it passes over 67/167 there. That area is a real traffic nightmare and the loop seems to have helped.

The one-way access roads and turnarounds either on overpasses or underneath elevated highways are the norm in DFW and should be used everywhere. Jackson, MS uses them well on I-55 through town. LR/NLR was very late to the game and now it will very difficult and expensive to gradually replace them where the access roads exist (along I-30 in parts, along US 67/167, etc). The only one of these I know of is for McCain as it passes over 67/167 there. That area is a real traffic nightmare and the loop seems to have helped.

They are building another one further North on 67/167.

One more note:

I-30 through Texarkana should be made 6 lanes now, especially with the added traffic caused by the westward push toward Nash. Before that area started growing up out there, you could be ANYWHERE in Texarkana in 10 minutes using city streets.

One more note:

I-30 through Texarkana should be made 6 lanes now, especially with the added traffic caused by the westward push toward Nash. Before that area started growing up out there, you could be ANYWHERE in Texarkana in 10 minutes using city streets.

I agree! Now it takes damn near 10-15 minutes just driving along Richmond Road from the Robison Road intersection to north of I-30 during the noon and evening rush.