Life Expectancy Rates

Jerseyman4

Here are the ugly numbers that the south should not be proud of. Improvements must be made on changing lifestyles such as eating more fruits & vegetables, excercising and cutting down fast food.

Source: WRAL but they got this study from Harvard University

Top 5

1. Hawaii: 80.0

2. Minnesota: 78.8

3. Utah: 78.7

4. Connecticut: 78.7

5. Massachusetts: 78.4

Then down the list.....

21. Florida 77.5

28. Virginia 76.8

30. Texas 76.7

35. Maryland 76.3

40. North Carolina 75.8

41. Georgia 75.3

42. Kentucky 75.2

-----Oklahoma 75.2

45. Tennessee 75.1

----West Virginia 75.1

47. South Carolina 74.8

48. Alabama 74.4

49. Louisana 74.2

50. Mississippi 73.6

51. District of Columbia 72.0

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While these life expectancies may be a good general guide, they're just "expectancies." Many people will still live into their 90s and 100s in these same regions, as medicine has come a long way. But seriously, compare these current life expectancies to those of 50-100 years ago and you'll see how far we've come.

In 1902, 50.59% of white males were expected to reach age 10. After age 10, the percentage slips down into the 40-40% range. In 2003, this same demographic had a 66.0% chance of living to age 10 and the percentage didn't drop below 50% until age 30. That's a huge difference.

With my family history and my stubbornness, 74 (the age you listed for Louisiana) sounds awesome. I'd settle for 45-50. But let me make it past 30 first, as I'm not too far from there.

But seriously... is 72 really that bad of a life expectancy? Not at all. There have been a number of famous or well-known people die younger than 45 over the past few years. There was even a 20-something guy here recently who died while mowing his mother's lawn. And he was a soldier.

All the above said, however, you are very correct about lifestyles. I actually started changing mine today... sure it's the billionth attempt I've made, but at least I'm trying. Seeing myself on television last night really put things into perspective. I saw this big, 300-lb blob in a yellow shirt and then I realized it was ME I was seeing. I was disgusted.

Most Americans could make small changes and see dramatic results over time. I plan on getting back to the gym this week, seeing as how my wife and I are paying $90/month and neither of us has been working out regularly in months.

On PBS they explained there was a 21 year average difference in the life expectancy between Black males and Asian women. I would say there are significantly more Black males living in these places with low life expectancy than that of Asian women.

Smokers, alcohol and drug abusers, and obese people also had cronic diseases that shortened life considerably.

Interestingly, the world's oldest living person (Elizabeth Bolden) lives in the south--in the Memphis area........How's that for expectancy rates? :P

Back then, many people WORKED in farms, ate healthier while consuming much LESS food than people do now. It was not common to see people engaging sedentary lifestyles in the first half of the 1900s and certainly in the late 1800s.

Y'all eat those Southern staples in the Mid-Atlantic region? :D

:rofl:

All the above said, however, you are very correct about lifestyles. I actually started changing mine today... sure it's the billionth attempt I've made, but at least I'm trying. Seeing myself on television last night really put things into perspective. I saw this big, 300-lb blob in a yellow shirt and then I realized it was ME I was seeing. I was disgusted.

Most Americans could make small changes and see dramatic results over time.

I'm in the same boat with you. I went to the doctor and had some bloodwork come back dangerously close to something bad!! So, for the past eight weeks I've been watching everything that passes my lips. I haven't had anything fried (chicken, fish, fries, onion rings, etc), no soft drinks, no candy, and only a couple of sweets (very sparing) in this time. By just watching my diet during this time, I've lost 36 lbs! :yahoo:

And give up fried chicken and cornbread? NEVER!

Just make sure you peel off the skin, only eat 3 oz of chicken, and have a cornbread square that's only 2in square and you'll be fine!! NO SECONDS!

I'm in the same boat with you. I went to the doctor and had some bloodwork come back dangerously close to something bad!! So, for the past eight weeks I've been watching everything that passes my lips. I haven't had anything fried (chicken, fish, fries, onion rings, etc), no soft drinks, no candy, and only a couple of sweets (very sparing) in this time. By just watching my diet during this time, I've lost 36 lbs!

^ That's amazing.

Archived