New MDOT Traffic Cams

GRDadof3

There are 16 new traffic cams operated by MDOT that are part of their Intelligent Transportation System, that WOODTV now has on their website. I looked for a direct link on MDOT's site but couldn't find one. Here are the 16 Locations, and a collage of IMAGES updated every 15 seconds. Glad I don't travel 131 at rush hour.

It reminds me of the traffic cams I saw posted on this site a long time ago in North Carolina, but theirs were a bit nicer in that you could toggle over the location you wanted and the image was much clearer.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the main purpose for these cameras? I am assuming (hoping???) that they are not to snap pics of speeding cars, but to watch traffic flow...

Just traffic control. There's a better description of MDOT's new system HERE.

With this new Grand Region control center, MDOT can take the next step in utilizing ITS technology in West Michigan to help relieve congestion and improve safety," said Grand Region Engineer Roger Safford. "With the ability to use the cameras to monitor the traffic conditions during peak traffic times, MDOT can provide more timely and relevant information for local motorists and visitors."

Safford noted that the signs can be used for incident management messages, information pertaining to travel times, construction activities, alternate routes, and Amber Alert messages.

WOODTV also showed several shots from the new cameras during their 5:00 news and they were MUCH clearer, and much better than their "Bridgewater skycam" they use to show traffic congestion.

It sounds like they are at "Beta" stage, so I'm hoping they'll have direct links on MDOT's site from each camera.

WOOD TV has been using the camera images since late July, mostly during the daybreak and 5PM newscasts, as well as the short breaks during the Today show. The cameras are definately not there to give speeding tickets, but to monitor freeway conditions. One big benefit of the system is what is called "Incident Management". The idea is to use the cameras, in conjunction with emergency calls and other information, to quickly pinpoint accident locations and dispatch the appropriate emergency response pesonnel to the scene. Motorists can also be informed that something is going on up ahead, reducing the likelihood of secondary collisions (accidents that happen as a result of a backup from another accident).

The GVMC is working on (among other things) updating the ITS plan for the Grand Rapids area. Some more info about ITS, as well as a draft version of the plan, is on their website at:

http://www.gvmc.org/transportation/ITS.shtml

I worked for MDOT this summer, my cube was in the section of the office that will be the Grand Region ITS Center. Pretty cool stuff. I used to browse the MDOT network and was able to watch the MDOTS Metro Region traffic cams. The police control them over there I was told. It was funny because they would zoom in on some bizare things on the side of the road.

From all I heard working there it will be a sweet set up, I dont know the rules on what I am aloud to say about it so I guess you will have to take my word for it.

We can thank MDOTs current policy of optimizing our transportation system to over come congestion vs. building out of congestion for the new system.

• 9 months later...

Finally larger and clearer images! This is quite a neat update, thanks.

What would be cool is if MDoT could embed sensors in the road that could calculate traffic counts, speeds, etc between two points. Then by using a mathematical algorithms could calculate expected arrival times. Say if you were getting onto 131 from Cutlerville there would be a overhead sign posted displaying the actual arrival times expected to say Pearl St. Downtown or other destinations on the route.

Finally larger and clearer images! This is quite a neat update, thanks.

What would be cool is if MDoT could embed sensors in the road that could calculate traffic counts, speeds, etc between two points. Then by using a mathematical algorithms could calculate expected arrival times. Say if you were getting onto 131 from Cutlerville there would be a overhead sign posted displaying the actual arrival times expected to say Pearl St. Downtown or other destinations on the route.

Archived