It's Time for one of these projects to break ground

memville

I get really exited seeing all the proposed projects going on in Downtown Memphis and in the Tunica area, but I wonder which one of these will ever be completed. It seems like we talk about these projects for years and then they eventually fade away, for instance the vue or the embassy suites tower. So i was wondering how others felt about this subject, and wanted to know which porjects poeple think will actually go through.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get really exited seeing all the proposed projects going on in Downtown Memphis and in the Tunica area, but I wonder which one of these will ever be completed. It seems like we talk about these projects for years and then they eventually fade away, for instance the vue or the embassy suites tower. So i was wondering how others felt about this subject, and wanted to know which porjects poeple think will actually go through.

We'll find out about One Beale either Thursday or Friday morning--the design goes before the Land Use Control Board on Sept. 14. Hopefully that will be the last big road block and ground will be broken in early '07. One thing that makes me more optimistic about this project (compared to the Vue) is Gene Carlisle's outspoken enthusiasm for the buildings and their potential to take downtown to the next level. Contrast Carlisle's dedication as well as the hype surrounding One Beale to the vague and uninspiring mess that was the Vue.

But I'm starting to wonder about Horizon towers. A few months ago I was told they would break ground in Aug/Sept. I emailed them 2 weeks ago for an update and they still haven't responded. And no official news on the project since October of 2005.

I think it should still be awhile before we here any more news on Trinity Towers and the Cascade development on 4th street. And if only one of the 2 mega Tunica projects gets built out in full over the next 10-15 years, I'd be happy.

I think that One Beale will be first. Just because its the tallest and it will be inspiring to the rest of the towers to pick up their development.

I still have hope that the Vue is going to make a comeback after all is said and done. Its just a matter on how successful One Beale is.

After One Beale its going to be the Horizons, followed closely by the Trinity. After that its pretty much even for the Cascade development, possibly the Vue, and if I can be optimistic the next new tallest.

Archived