Myths and Legends

wolverine

I thought it would be fun to have a thread about myths and legends that we may have tested for ourselves but found out true. This doesn't mean any of them are guaranteed to work, but have at least worked for a few of us.

For example, I always heard a myth that if you rub the two negative ends of alkaline AA batteries together right after they die, they will recharge at least 15-20% Well, I was out snapping photos at night when the 4 AA's in my camera died. So I took them out rubbed the negative ends together for a about 10-15 seconds. Sure enough I was able to take 20 more photos that night at longer exposures (meaning my camera was on almost continuously with the LCD display completely lit up. The next day, I was able to take 45 more photos for a class project. It still is going at this moment. Not sure how many of you knew this, but my friends sure didn't know. But a couple of my buddies have tried it and it works! BTW, Duracell batteries were used.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in the Mountains of NC, I heard you were to put a bean in a jar for every foggy morning you had in August. That would represent how many days of snow you were to have in the winter. You would pull a bean out for every snowy day and at the end of winter your jar should be empty.

It actually nailed it a couple of winters, but not all.

We always had the little wind/weather rhymes for fishing:

When the wind is from the west, the fish will bight the best

When the wind is from the south, the fish is hooked in the mouth

when the wind is from the east, the fish will bight the least

When the wind is from the north, no fisherman will go forth.

Pretty true. East winds usually bring cold, rainy weather which is bad for fishing.. whereas west winds bring favorable weather and south winds bring storms which are good for fishing.

When I lived in the Mountains of NC, I heard you were to put a bean in a jar for every foggy morning you had in August. That would represent how many days of snow you were to have in the winter. You would pull a bean out for every snowy day and at the end of winter your jar should be empty.

It actually nailed it a couple of winters, but not all.

Ok, this has flown over my head!

Archived