Hot Springs

tim2462

This has been somewhat talked about a few times, but here is some more info on it.

There are many commercial and residential areas that are outside of the city limits of Hot Springs,

yet very much a part of the city of Hot Springs. There are huge residential areas all over the place

outside of the city limits. Much of the new development, especially condo towers going up are not

in the city limits. Also, apartment complexes are popping up out there as well. This is primarily south

of the current city limits, surrounding Lake Hamilton. The population of Hot Springs proper is estimated

to be 37,847 as of 2005. The 2005 estimated population of Garland County is 93,551. Much of Garland

County is occupied by the Ouachita National Forest and Lake Ouachita. From my own research, I have

estimated that only about 8,000 people live in the county, outside of the immediate Hot Springs area.

Hot Springs Village has a population of 8,387, with only 6,656 of those residing in Garland County. The

remaining are in Saline County. Only about 1,000 or so more people are scattered throughout the county.

The rest of the county is very sparsely populated, due to the terrain and public land. That leaves about

87,000 people residing in the immediate Hot Springs area. For those of you that know the area, you know

that where the city limits end is not where the city ends...especially on Hwy. 7 South. The city limits end

at the mall, but there is a lot of city left past there. The Census bureau realized this and declared Hot

Springs a Metro Area, because of its urbanized area. So, I declare Hot Springs the Unofficial 2nd

largest city in Arkansas. Development is starting to really take off there. I wish it were more widely reported. You have to drive there to see most of it. I will start to post info on the city's development in

this thread.

Edited by tim2462

Interesting. But couldn't the same be said of Fort Smith? Don't they have neighborhoods outside of their city limits--enough to push it over your Hot Springs number?

Anyways, the growth in Hot Springs has been crazy over the past years. I remember when I was a little boy traveling down Central Ave when we first moved to Hot Springs. The outlet mall seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere. Now there are buildings all around it. It's very saturated.

The entire area around Hot Springs is Unincorporated. Anything outside of Fort Smith is incorporated into cities, such as Lavaca, Greenwood, Van Buren, and towns in OK. I'm not talking about cities swallowing up cities to increase the population...I'm simply talking about unincorporated land around Hot Springs that is very much part of the city.

Again, not talking about cities swallowing up eachother.

This is not about cities merging to form a supercity.

Same goes for NWA...those are all incorporated cities.

Edited by tim2462

The entire area around Hot Springs is Unincorporated. Anything outside of Fort Smith is incorporated into cities, such as Lavaca, Greenwood, Van Buren, and towns in OK. I'm not talking about cities swallowing up cities to increase the population...I'm simply talking about unincorporated land around Hot Springs that is very much part of the city.

I know what you're talking about. There are a lot of people in unincorporated Pulaski Co as well but what you're referring to is that there are way more people in the county than in the city of Hot Springs. This happens other places as well. Pasco County in suburban Tampa has only 3 incorporated cities and the largest, New Port Richey, has only 15,000 residents. Almost everyone lives out in the county. The same is true of Naples and Collier County, FL.

There are a lot of reasons why Hot Springs residents aren't real aggressive about annexation. One is the seperate Lakeside and Lake Hamiton school districts.

What outlet mall are you referring to, johnny? The one I know of is right across Central from the Hot Springs Mall in an area that's been developed for 40 years though it's a bit more crowded now. Central's been packed with cars for as long as I remember because so many people live around the lake. The bypass sure was a big help at avoiding that traffic down Central, though it doesn't alleviate that far out - it's still bad between the bypass and the Lake.

What outlet mall are you referring to, johnny? The one I know of is right across Central from the Hot Springs Mall in an area that's been developed for 40 years though it's a bit more crowded now.

I haven't been around for 40 years, but I will agree that the only outlet mall I know of in the Hot Springs area is the one on Central.

Bella Vista isn't. I see what you're saying but it just seems like you could bend things and say another area of the state is sorta the second biggest city. Sorry to nitpick you. Anyway what you have said is interesting news.

I will say that Hot Springs has the second biggest Downtown in Arkansas. It's so impressive for the city's size.

HotSprings.jpg

HotSprings2.jpg

While I can't agree that Hot Springs is the second largest city in Arkansas, I DEFINITELY agree that Hot Springs is an impressive place for its size. It has a great reputation among Memphians and Louisianans. I have some good memories of Mt. Riante on 7 south in Lake Hamilton.

The outlet mall is not that old - I'd guesstimate around 15 years old. And to my recollection, the area around it was much less dense when it was built. I end up in Hot Springs about once a year and am always amazed at the growth and development, which unfortunately does come at a cost.

Are there any plans to link Hot Springs to Little Rock and I-30 via a freeway? Desperately needed, IMO.

I end up in Hot Springs about once a year and am always amazed at the growth and development, which unfortunately does come at a cost.

Same here... I vacation there at least once a year and am always impressed by how much it's growing. It's such a charming town... beautiful downtown, beautiful scenery, etc.

While I can't agree that Hot Springs is the second largest city in Arkansas, I DEFINITELY agree that Hot Springs is an impressive place for its size. It has a great reputation among Memphians and Louisianans. I have some good memories of Mt. Riante on 7 south in Lake Hamilton.

The outlet mall is not that old - I'd guesstimate around 15 years old. And to my recollection, the area around it was much less dense when it was built. I end up in Hot Springs about once a year and am always amazed at the growth and development, which unfortunately does come at a cost.

Are there any plans to link Hot Springs to Little Rock and I-30 via a freeway? Desperately needed, IMO.

It's four lanes between Hot Springs and LR if you take US 270 to Malvern and I-30 the rest of the way. The traditional route to Hot Springs from Benton has been talked about being made 4 lanes for years but it will never be interstate-grade because of the hills involved. It would be an expensive project, though I'd love to see it.

Height is what I ment. Plus it has more cultural offerings, IMO.

Oh yeah it certainly has a lot of cultural offerings. Height-wise perhaps. I admit I was surprised Ft Smith didn't seem to have more taller buildings. I think Pine Bluff could give Hot Springs a run for it's money for height of buildings. Granted not all of them are in the greatest of shape. But they have a decent amount of buildings downtown. I haven't really thought about it like that before. I'll have to think more about it. We do know right now none of the NWA cities can compare height-wise. Although I think this is starting to change and I could possibly seeing one of them having more of a skyline than Hot Springs in the near future.

What outlet mall are you referring to, johnny? The one I know of is right across Central from the Hot Springs Mall in an area that's been developed for 40 years though it's a bit more crowded now. Central's been packed with cars for as long as I remember because so many people live around the lake. The bypass sure was a big help at avoiding that traffic down Central, though it doesn't alleviate that far out - it's still bad between the bypass and the Lake.

I should rephrase..."much less developed."

Plus it was a long time ago, so I don't remember completely.

Edited by johnnydr87

Central Avenue is really starting to fill in south of the bypass.

A lot of restaurants that should've been in Hot Springs a long time ago are finally arriving. Bennigan's opened a while back and Olive Garden is opening soon. Over on Albert Pike, a new call center has opened up. It will employ over 500 people. That is something Hot Springs needed. Anynthing to diversify the economy there is great for the city. The fairgrounds have been sold and sometime next year, a company from Houston is developing a retail project there, that is rumored to possibly have a Home Depot and a Target. I figure it will be something like Conway Commons and Alcoa Exchange. Also, Magic Springs is expanding every year and is becoming a destination of its own. It's already been recognized as the 3rd best family fun park in the country. They still have a lot of land that hasn't been cleared that they are going to expand in.

Edited by tim2462

What do you mean by second biggest downtown? Unless you're talking about building heights I think I'd say Ft Smith's downtown is larger in area.

I don't know. In terms of square feet, residents, retail, hotel rooms, and restaurants I think Hot Springs wins. Of course it's almost all packed along Central downtown but then again, most of what's in Ft Smith is along Garrison.

Here's another shot of Hot Springs' downtown. The tallest building you see is the Medical Arts Building, which was built in 1930. It holds the title of Arkansas' first skyscraper and was the tallest building in the state until 1960 when the Tower Building was built in Little Rock. The largest building, which is closest in this picture is the world famous Arlington Hotel.

1050580bv2.jpg

Edited by arkansas_buff

• 3 weeks later...

It reminds me of Eureka Springs. As far as a second largest downtown, maybe Hot Springs, but if you can count a core area, it would deffinately be Pinnacle Hills in about 3 to 5 years. Especially with the Arkansas World Trade Center being there and eventually building a tower, who knows, maybe Wal-Mart will smarten up and build a series of towers in the Pinnacle area so they can rent them out to their vendors, cuz right now everything is turning into vendor sprawl all over NWA :lol:

I'm not sure Pinnacle area would qualify as a downtown...

I wasn't saying Pinnacle was a downtown or would qualify as one, i was just saying that if a core area of central density was counted that it could be the second largest, because in our case, we dont have a single or atleast dominant downtown area, and if Pinnacle keeps progressing that way it has been then it could turn into the metro's city center, but even at that point we still have Fayetteville's downtown/ dickson area and what could be considered uptown/ joyce. Development is realy weird up here and nobody realy knows where NWA's downtown realy is.

I wasn't saying Pinnacle was a downtown or would qualify as one, i was just saying that if a core area of central density was counted that it could be the second largest, because in our case, we dont have a single or atleast dominant downtown area, and if Pinnacle keeps progressing that way it has been then it could turn into the metro's city center, but even at that point we still have Fayetteville's downtown/ dickson area and what could be considered uptown/ joyce. Development is realy weird up here and nobody realy knows where NWA's downtown realy is.

In terms of commuting I guess "downtown" could be WM's HQs.

The only real downtown in NWA is Fayetteville though. It's already a true downtown and every day it becomes a little more. It doesn't really have the CBD component.