Hot Springs

tim2462

RockStep Capital from Houston bought Hot Springs Mall, with the sale finalizing August 12th. Sears, JCPenney, and Dillards are all strong anchors, but the new owners are still weary about Goody's. They have been trying to get the property for three years and have finally succeeded! Apparently, they are in talks with a few national tenants willing to come to the mall; however, there are some local tenants who want to open up shop right away. RockStep Capital intends to replace the 80's looking signage and update the facade of the outside when new stores come aboard. Stores coming include: apparel, hard-line stores, and more entertainment options in the center court. I hope things finally get up and going, because if something is not done, this is going to be a dead mall.

• 3 weeks later...

The John L. Webb house is being restored and being turned into a community resource center and a museum for Hot Springs African-American history. Also, in the downtown area, Rocket Fizz Soda & Candy shop is opening up where the Blue Moon Gallery is. Good things happening in the downtown area. On the other sides of town, Daily Dish is opening a second location on Shady Grove & Carpenter Dam; and O'Reilly Auto Parts is building its third location in Hot Springs, on Airport Road, next to Arvest Bank. 

Edited by luvhotsprings

• 4 weeks later...

A $10,000,000 permit was taken out on the Thompson Building this week. The Thompson building will be branded under Ascend from Choice Hotels. Also, the old Howard Johnson is in the process of being demolished by First United Methodist Church. The Majestic Hotel clean-up should start mid-November with the latest start being at the beginning of December. Also, there are two new shopping centers planned - East Ridge at the corner of Carpenter Dam & Malvern and Keystone Shopping Center at the corner of Section Line & Files Road. Good things happening all around town!! 

• Like 1

A $10,000,000 permit was taken out on the Thompson Building this week. The Thompson building will be branded under Ascend from Choice Hotels. Also, the old Howard Johnson is in the process of being demolished by First United Methodist Church. The Majestic Hotel clean-up should start mid-November with the latest start being at the beginning of December. Also, there are two new shopping centers planned - East Ridge at the corner of Carpenter Dam & Malvern and Keystone Shopping Center at the corner of Section Line & Files Road. Good things happening all around town!! 

Do you have any more info on the two shopping centers? I heard a rumor that a Starbucks was going in at the East Ridge one, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Do you have any more info on the two shopping centers? I heard a rumor that a Starbucks was going in at the East Ridge one, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Sadly I do not, but if that does end up happening that would be great! I always thought Hot Springs has had enough traffic for 2-3 Starbucks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown great things are happening. The Thompson Building has started renovating and have started putting scaffolding up. The downside is the current tenants on the bottom floor have to move to new locations as the first story will be used as a lobby and the hotel restaurant. Also, Vina Morita is moving from its current location downtown to a much bigger spot - The Springs Hotel. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ground has broken for both Walmart Neighborhood Markets & ground has also broken for Keystone Crossing. Word has it that Tropical Smoothie Cafe is going to put a location in Hot Springs. I would guess it would either locate in the shopping center being constructed next to CVS or Keystone Crossing. Also, El Parian closed. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Hot Springs Metro Partnership has announced an Innovation Hub for the city. This will help bring more jobs to the area, which are needed badly. Also, the McDonald's on East Grand is being remodeled, so hopefully the McDonald's on Albert Pike and north Central will be the next ones to be remodeled. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hot Springs has it's first Indian restaurant, Taste of India. It is in the Travelodge Hotel at 1204 Central. It is where Hester's used to be, but new owners of the hotel forced Hester's out. I'm glad Hot Springs is finally starting to get some diverse options of food - with a Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian restaurant opening in less than a year, it is exciting.  Also, Great Clips will have a location in Cornerstone Marketplace.  

Apparently, AT&T is moving from it's current location on Albert Pike, to a new location in the old USA Drug building at the corner of Airport Road & Albert Pike. Also, another CVS is going to be built across from the Walgreens at the corner of E. Grand and Malvern Ave. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room in that area for a CVS land wise, but if I would have to guess, I would guess the gas station across the street will be torn down. 

• 4 weeks later...

The old Howard Johnson is in the process of being torn down and will be used for First Methodist. I believe this will clean up the corner considering some of the blight in the surrounding areas. Also, down the street Wendy's closed down and is reportedly building a brand new building. New Balance is also building a store off of Malvern Avenue across the street from the library not too far from the new Neighborhood Market that is in the process of being built. Lastly, Sam's Southern Eatery is taking the old El Parian building, which is a small regional chain in Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas, with locations in Little Rock, Jonesboro, and Pine Bluff.

Edited by luvhotsprings

• 4 weeks later...

After nearly two years to the date, the Majestic cleanup has finally started! Cleanup is expected to take 3-4 weeks for the yellow portion of the building; the Lanai Towers and the red brick portion have an undetermined future. Vina Morita has moved from it's old location next to the downtown post office into the Springs Hotel. An Indian restaurant is supposed to take Vina Morita's old spot. 

The new owners of the new mall have been very transparent on their recent posts regarding to requests. The new owners are looking at tenants such as Forever 21 and Hollister. Goody's is closing in March, so that would be a perfect location for a Forever 21. New signage is also supposed to arrive in the next few months. Down the street, Mooyah's has closed and will reopen under a different name and a different restaurant concept. 

Lastly, the city of Hot Springs has hired a new city manager, David Frasher, from Oregon City, Oregon. He is expected to be the serving city manager starting March 31st. 

Edited by luvhotsprings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bids are being taken for the Majestic Hotel, for demolition of the red brick and Lanai Towers of the Majestic. I could certainly see a nice mixed-use, with retail and office space on the bottom floor and apartments/lofts upstairs, go well at the cornerstone of downtown Hot Springs! I think with the demolition of the Majestic - which is sad - will spur even more redevelopment of Park Avenue and Whittington Avenue. 

Also, Central City Flea Market is closing May 22nd, and supposedly the building will be torn down for a new strip center. Tropical Smoothie also opened last Monday in the former Si's Coffee and Donuts in the same shopping center. Both Walmart Neighborhood Markets are nearing completion, and O'Reilly Auto Parts is just weeks away from opening up their second location on Airport Road, not far from the new Neighborhood Market opening in the coming months. 

• 2 weeks later...

Aeropostale, after announcing Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, it is closing the location in Hot Springs Mall. Aeropostale will also close their Park Plaza location in Little Rock and their Pinnacle Hills location in Rogers. With the recent closure of Goody's, Great American Cookie Company, and Aeropostale, the mall's fate is growing grimmer & grimmer. Someone needs to restart & build an outdoor-type mall in place of the mall right now. 

• 1 month later...

Central Station Marketplace has officially closed; they plan on moving to Temperance Hill Square. There has still been no announcements for the new tenants that are supposed to fill the space, but the space is to be remodeled. Sonic is going to be building a new location at 3741 Malvern Avenue, where a gas station is currently located, across from the Munro Shoe Factory. Downtown related, scaffolding has been taken down on the Thompson Building, and they are working on the entrance. The building looks absolutely beautiful. Also, a new apartment complex is to be built downtown. I love that downtown is gaining its vibrancy back from the "Golden Ages". 

• 2 months later...

Demolition begins on the Lanai Tower Suites next week, and demolition of the entire Majestic Hotel is expected to be complete by November, according to the Sentinel Record. Also, 726 Central Ave., in downtown, is being turn into apartments, according to plumbing permits. Central City Shopping Center has begun renovations of the old Central City Marketplace, and one of the new tenants is Planet Fitness. There are three other spaces - one that is 20,000 sq. feet & the other two are approximately 15,000 sq. feet each. Towneplace Suites is building a hotel on Corporate Terrace, off Central Ave. A small strip center is also going to be built next to Mary's Nails. Lastly, First Security is going to be building their second branch in the Hot Springs area, with a branch on Malvern Ave. 

Edited by luvhotsprings

• 1 month later...

The old Wendy's building, on W. Grand, has recently sold!! I'm excited to see what will occupy the building. Wingstop will also be opening in the old Mooyah's spot in Dogwood Landing, across from Walmart on Central. Little Rock Bank of Mortgage and Arkansas Blood Institute will be locating in Keystone Crossing, being built on Section Line Road, across from Bear State Bank. 

• 2 weeks later...

The old Wendy's building on W. Grand will be a Hardee's!! It is expected to open early next year. The franchisee for Hardee's also wants to put another location on Central Avenue. Another tenant has been announced for Central City Shopping Center (the old flea market) - Citi Trends. Today, the most recent addition to the Majestic Hotel was torn down. Hopefully the city plans to put something there other than an empty lot!