Master List: Major Northwest Arkansas Construction

mcheiss

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is a godsend.

I am completely impressed. If only Little Rock got those high rise projects downtown.

Great idea, mcheiss.

And this is completely sad: I pressed ctrl+f to find any references to Springdale projects. They have one--the ballpark.

Yeah that's why I was hoping that would go through for Springdale. They really have been becoming just a bedroom community for the rest of NWA. Even though ironically they are the second biggest city in NWA.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if any of you read Arkansas Business today, but there was an article about another arena in the works for the area. An investment group has made a verbal agreement for property on the county line (between Benton and Washington counties) to be used for an arena. Details are fuzzy, but the plans are for a 40-acre development, and architectural sketches have been drawn up. This arena would sure enough be a home for a sports team, or two. I haven't the slightest idea on how large it would be.

This makes three Multi-purpose Arena's slated for the area.

1) Arkansas Sports & Entertainment Complex - 9,500 seats. Said to be home for an ECHL Hockey Team, and unconfirmed WNBA and NBADL teams. Suppose to hold around 150 venues throughout the year ranging from circus acts, monster truck shows, minor league sports, and concerts.

2) Springdale Arena - 8,500+ seats. This is said to be coming next to the Springdale Wranglers AA Stadium near the Interstate. Only concerts have been known to be tenants for the arean.

3) Unconfirmed Arena - ?? seats.

I don't know if any of you read Arkansas Business today, but there was an article about another arena in the works for the area. An investment group has made a verbal agreement for property on the county line (between Benton and Washington counties) to be used for an arena. Details are fuzzy, but the plans are for a 40-acre development, and architectural sketches have been drawn up. This arena would sure enough be a home for a sports team, or two. I haven't the slightest idea on how large it would be.

This makes three Multi-purpose Arena's slated for the area.

1) Arkansas Sports & Entertainment Complex - 9,500 seats. Said to be home for an ECHL Hockey Team, and unconfirmed WNBA and NBADL teams. Suppose to hold around 150 venues throughout the year ranging from circus acts, monster truck shows, minor league sports, and concerts.

2) Springdale Arena - 8,500+ seats. This is said to be coming next to the Springdale Wranglers AA Stadium near the Interstate. Only concerts have been known to be tenants for the arean.

3) Unconfirmed Arena - ?? seats.

All of these won't happen. It makes you wonder if the newer announcements know something about Talley and his group's financing. I like the latter two ideas about locations better. The closer to I-540 the better.

^

I would guess I-540 and 264. There's already 20 acres flattened out there by the Pinnacle Group.

If I could pick a site for an arena that would be it. The problem with Highfill is that Fayetteville and southern Wash Co residents will find it awful far to drive for minor events. This would be a good central location.

Those three developers should go to lunch and put their resources together and build a massive 25,000 seat multi-use sports complex worthy of national recognition. Three little arenas won't make a third of what one BIG arena would make. NWA is nothing more than a feeding ground for small-minded entrepeneurs trying to earn a quick buck instead of a place where people can take pride in what this area has to offer. I wouldn't brag too much about a 9,500 seat arena since many high school stadiums are bigger than that.

All of these won't happen. It makes you wonder if the newer announcements know something about Talley and his group's financing. I like the latter two ideas about locations better. The closer to I-540 the better.

I agree with you there. I doubt all of these will happen. This almost sounds like the waterpark thing again. Everyone announces something and then waits till someone blinks and backs out. Hopefully though we'll end up with at least one arena unlike the waterpark. I also agree with you about the location issue as well. I think being located closer to I-540 would be a better idea. I don't have any problems with one being put in the Bentonville/Rogers area but I do agree that this area is still fragmented enought that it might not be appealing to people in parts of Fayetteville and such. Maybe if they still had one in the Rogers/Bentonville area but closer to I-540 might work.

Interesting though, Aporkalypse.

If this is anything like the stadium deal was, I'd say "bet on the group that's gotten the most pub and the most city government involvement". That would be Talley's project, which I wouldn't bet against given the Bentonville mayor and city council's extensive (for this region and especially this particular NWA city) contact with pro sports officials.

Interesting though, Aporkalypse.

If this is anything like the stadium deal was, I'd say "bet on the group that's gotten the most pub and the most city government involvement". That would be Talley's project, which I wouldn't bet against given the Bentonville mayor and city council's extensive (for this region and especially this particular NWA city) contact with pro sports officials.

Bentonville may end up being the only city in NWA that these kinds of developments actually get started. Even if they're not really major developments.

I took a walk through the entire Promenade this morning and things are coming together quite quickly. Many of the stores have all the fixtures set awaiting merchandise and some already have merchandise. There are so many people in and around the stores it is very busy there. Also, PF Changs says "now acception reservations"

The obvious things missing in my opinion are Abercrombie and Fitch, Eddie Bauer, Express, Disney Store.

Dillard's is having a sneak preview night on Tuesday, Oct. 3 from 5-8 PM, with a $5.00 donation to United Way.

Yeah, the main stores that are missing are A & F, Eddie Bauer, Express, and the Disney Store. But also, I would've liked to see Champs Sports, J. Crew, Brookstone, Puma, Sony Style, and etc. But, I'm pretty pleased with the selection of stores that we have. With the exception of some.

There was a short story in today's Morning News about the condo building at the corner of North & Leverett. I had known it was sold during construction but the Barber Group is now trying to sell it as well. Apparently they are trying to sell the whole building, but individual units are up for sale as well.

They might be getting desperate though since the story said that one unit had been leased, not sold. So only one unit occupied a month after completion.

There was a short story in today's Morning News about the condo building at the corner of North & Leverett. I had known it was sold during construction but the Barber Group is now trying to sell it as well. Apparently they are trying to sell the whole building, but individual units are up for sale as well.

They might be getting desperate though since the story said that one unit had been leased, not sold. So only one unit occupied a month after completion.

Guess in some ways the condo market away from Dickson and the Square isn't too hot. To be honest the main advantage to this particular condo devleopment I can see is parents buying a condo and having their kid going to college live there. Then selling it as an investment afterwards. That has been a growing trend in other areas of the country that I haven't heard happening here much. Although with the housing and condo market slowing down as a national trend I don't know how that trend is going to fare. That reminds me of an ad I saw in a recent paper on a condo development I hadn't heard of. I'll mention that in another topic though.

By the way welcome to the forum aerotive. :D

Guess in some ways the condo market away from Dickson and the Square isn't too hot. To be honest the main advantage to this particular condo devleopment I can see is parents buying a condo and having their kid going to college live there. Then selling it as an investment afterwards. That has been a growing trend in other areas of the country that I haven't heard happening here much. By the way welcome to the forum aerotive. :D

Welcome aerotive to Urbanplanet Northwest Arkansas!!

I'd say this project isn't doing the best, simply because I haven't seen any advertisment about it. I think if the Barber Group advertised something like this on campus, or even put advertisments in the UofA's newspaper, sales would be amazing. It's not that far from the U of A (I assume), and it seems perfect for a college kid.

Thanks guys for the welcome. :)

It is pretty close to the UA, ten minutes or less to the main part of campus. I walk by that building every other day and have looked into it a very little bit. It's the only condo building that I know of in that area of town.

I would've guessed the building to have been full already. Maybe it's too expensive for college kids?

Oh well, off to BBB.

They seem to be asking too much for such small condos. Many are around 900-1000 sq ft. So it is coming out to be over $150/sq ft. That is still pretty high for the neighborhood. I can understand asking that if you are downtown or next door to the univsity but on North st? There is also a POA I would guess but I don't recall hearing how much it was.

They seem to be asking too much for such small condos. Many are around 900-1000 sq ft. So it is coming out to be over $150/sq ft. That is still pretty high for the neighborhood. I can understand asking that if you are downtown or next door to the univsity but on North st? There is also a POA I would guess but I don't recall hearing how much it was.

The apparent failure of this project is in no way indicative of future failure for the downtown area condo projects. These just aren't a good buy--they are in a crappy location where you can buy a house for less. Makes no sense to me! The first segment of any residental market to drop will always be suburban condos.

Archived