Charlotte Coliseum Massive Development - City Park

monsoon

The funny think about selling homes is that outsiders have little perception of the "good part" of town......growing up in Charlotte (ok Mint Hill), I always viewed Union and Cabarrus county as even more backward and redneck than me, but now, there are tons of people who have no perception of the area flooding to those areas, many of whom are quite well off. There are obvious other motivations that would preclude those people from desiring to be in Charlotte at all, but I think the point is, there are enough new people moving to the area that don't think about that area as "west Charlotte" that I think they won't have trouble attracting people if the development is executed right.

As far as height limits, most multi-family zoning districts cap the height at 42', with MUDD, TOD, and PED limiting it to 120'. The only zoning district that allows unlimited height is UMUD, which only exists downtown and in some parts of South End.

I think the term tower in here is being a bit generous, as my guess they are referring to buildings in the 8-10 story range.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this project, mostly because I think Pope want's to become a big time developer in Charlotte, and doesn't want to blow it on thier first deal here.

I used to travel often for work, and one time, someone I knew had just visited Charlotte for the first time. Here is a direct quote "I went to the really nice part of town, you know, around Tyvola near the coliseum".

I just said "Oh, that is nice. I'm glad you liked it".

In his mind fancy reversing streets, nice looking suburban office buildings, corporate headquarters, parkway named for a world famous minister, parks and golf course galore all meant that it was nice.

I'm sure lots of people feel the same way, and I'm sure that Pope has it right that a decent percentage of people would like to live conveniently to the airport, to the office buildings around Tyvola, and consider all the parks and golf courses to be a major plus.

i think this will be a very popular development simply because it will be what you typically find on greenfield sites far out in the new suburbs...yet its close to downtown and central Charlotte.

Sure, it doesnt fit the corridors strategy, but what SHOULD be built here given the cost of land? I think more housing this deep into the core of the City is good and is preferable to sites beyond 485.

Most people I know consider being 15 minutes from downtown close, and that distance and not so far away southpark will be selling points.

I think what gets built here will be a much better use for the land that what currently sits there today.

We all talk densiity and walkable, and this has both. It may help the Famer's Market out by attracting more vendors. There is no grocery stores in that area, I am sure you will see one going up some where and a drug store also. The also may need a bike store.

Are they eliminating the reversable lanes now that the coliseum is closed?

yes, they are gone, not all the poles have been taken down yet, Tyvola is treated a standard 4 lane road with center turn lanes.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

A couple of questions.

Are they eliminating the reversable lanes now that the coliseum is closed?

Is there direct bus routes from the site to both downtown and Southpark?

The site is currently served by Route 10 to downtown and there are plans to make it Enhanced Bus (basically an Express Route) to downtown. I don't know of any plans to put in a SouthPark route but I'm sure if the demand was there then CATS would do that.

But what's the point of having new hotels out that way to cater to conventioneers when there's no longer a venue in the area? And since when does Charlotte have a large furniture market?

My apologies, I was not paying attention, my brain was in another thread when I posted here. Yes, hotel and convention space should be downtown, and not at this location, ideally. But as to the furniture market, I was not referring to the business Charlotte currently gets for furniture market, but what it could get, to stop the flow to Las Vegas. If High Point is going to lose it's stake, I'd rather the market at least remain in NC, and Charlotte would seem to have the best potential to do this. And be good for Charlotte to boot. The producers in and around High Point/Hickory as well.

Edited by nowensone

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes:

I do find it a bit ironic that in moving the arena to downtown Charlotte, the end result is a new development that will directly compete against downtown for residential, business and retail money for development. My guess is if this project is successful, it will take down some of the more marginal proposals for downtown. Maybe this is where Saks will finally end up in this city.

:rolleyes:

I do find it a bit ironic that in moving the arena to downtown Charlotte, the end result is a new development that will directly compete against downtown for residential, business and retail money for development. My guess is if this project is successful, it will take down some of the more marginal proposals for downtown. Maybe this is where Saks will finally end up in this city.

So do you think this marginally has the potential of becoming a SouthPark (minus the mall) or a Buckhead? I would like to see a mini-downtown area somewhere, I'm just not sure this is the right spot for it.

interesting...its funny reading the opinions of people who've been in Charlotte for a long time. When I read this story I (as a "newcomer") viewed this project as an expansion of the "city" of Charlotte - not so much in terms of it being competitive with downtown.

I love the idea of brownstones (being from Brooklyn) and would buy one in a heartbeat (their going for a million+ in my old neighborhood). But when they say community will it be cut off from the rest of area in terms of how its build? I like the idea of neighborhoods flowing from one to the other rather than the blips on a radar kind of design (if that makes sense).

Edited by lupitachica

I think the idea is that we have significant amounts of office space in that area, so residential will provide a way for people to live near their work, and create a mixture of uses. The competition with uptown was already lost on all those jobs and offices, now I think it is a good thing they'll get some residential for people to cut their commutes. I'd hope not too many people are living downtown and working out on Tyvola. But I guess, even if they are, then it is a better use of infrastructure by reverse commuting than living out near 485 and commuting to Tyvola, as many do.

...... I like the idea of neighborhoods flowing from one to the other rather than the blips on a radar kind of design (if that makes sense).

It does make sense in the traditional sense of development. However Charlotte is a city of suburbs connected together by highways and freeways. These tend to slice and dice the city into pieces as time goes on and the end result are situations where downtown is separated by a huge multi-laned freeway, I-277. This is why the blips exist and in the case of new development within Charlotte 4, it all competes with each other.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking at the site plan on www.charmeck.org, seems they scratched the proposal for high-rises and are now more focused on mid-rises ranging up to 10 stories.

My impression was that the "high rises" were in the 10 story range all along. People in the media and marketing tend to be a lot more liberal with their use of "high rise" than we are here on UP.

Edited by uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...