Charlotte Coliseum Massive Development - City Park

monsoon

The worse traffic I ever experienced was the U2 Concert and coming out and  I did stay to the last song and so did everyone else. 45 minutes to exit the parking lot.  I wrote a letter to the editor back in the day when this site was proposed and said NO don't build it out there on a 4 lane road.    You current UPers who moved here recently don't know how good you have it with the uptown arena.  

PS remember if you got in the wrong one way lane going out you might would head  in the opposite direction towards 77 or Billy Graham it was madness! 

• Like 2

Cars and Coffee has been going on in one of the remaining sections of Coliseum lot for a couple of months now, first Saturday of every month. It’s a pretty fun time, lots of cool cars surrounded by overgrown brush and piles of rubble. Walking up the hill and up the steps kinda hits me in the feels because I can still remember what it was like when the Hive was there.

• Like 3

I drive by this every day to work but finally remembered to look at the company who is posting..  At Tryon/Tyvola The Nichols Company is advertising 'District X'.  Looks like a Waverly scale of retail along Tyvola with an outparcel maybe for hotel/office along Tryon.  Would look good from the street as parking is hidden in the back of the development.

https://thenicholscompany.com/properties/5500-s-tryon-street/

Screen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-11.27.03-AM.pn

image.jpg

Screen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-11.26.47-AM-e1

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I drive by this every day to work but finally remembered to look at the company who is posting..  At Tryon/Tyvola The Nichols Company is advertising 'District X'.  Looks like a Waverly scale of retail along Tyvola with an outparcel maybe for hotel/office along Tryon.  Would look good from the street as parking is hidden in the back of the development.

Screen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-11.27.03-AM.pn

image.jpg

Screen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-11.26.47-AM-e1

That rock climbing wall looks interesting. 

• 4 months later...

I met someone today who works at Sycamore at Tyvola, a brand new gated garden apartment complex, about 0.5-1.0 miles away from the City Park "blocks", next to Meck county's Renaissance Park.

The leasing-up there seems to have been abysmal. It seems they had discussed putting in nature trails for recreation, but determined gating the property was the best course of action, and instead implemented what this employee referred to as "sidewalk trails" placed within the property area.

In this market, the only thing this "City Park" market is seen to have is the potential of a town center type feel alongside these townhomes. But locating this off a Garden Highway Boulevard strip of a road, and cutting it off from everything around it (current, or future), clearly doomed this project.

Screenshot_2018-07-11-21-02-20-1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I met someone today who works at Sycamore at Tyvola, a brand new gated garden apartment complex, about 0.5-1.0 miles away from the City Park "blocks", next to Meck county's Renaissance Park.

The leasing-up there seems to have been abysmal. It seems they had discussed putting in nature trails for recreation, but determined gating the property was the best course of action, and instead implemented what this employee referred to as "sidewalk trails" placed within the property area.

In this market, the only thing this "City Park" market is seen to have is the potential of a town center type feel alongside these townhomes. But locating this off a Garden Highway Boulevard strip of a road, and cutting it off from everything around it (current, or future), clearly doomed this project.

They're too expensive for where and what they are, in my opinion. For the same amount, you can live somewhere else and be closer to....anything.

Even Ballantyne and Northlake have similar apartments with easier access to....anything. 

11 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

It's only a matter of time before this area attracts more attention. I personally would rather live here than in Waverly or Fort Mill due to the proximity to the city. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sclark said:

It's only a matter of time before this area attracts more attention. I personally would rather live here than in Waverly or Fort Mill due to the proximity to the city. 

I agree. The area where the new townhomes are is ripe for a "town center" development with retail and multifamily. It's unfortunate this new place half-a-mile away didn't have that foresight. Hopefully the empty parcels around it treat it with more attention than they did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sclark said:

Not to mention how close it will be to River District once it is built out.

13 hours ago, sclark said:

I would, too. I'd be hard pressed to move outside of my beloved city limits & Waverly doesn't really do it for me. It still feels like a bubble and I personally, like to be connected to the rest of the city. 

I'm sure all the future development will make this place more attractive, but paying rent isn't the same as paying a mortgage. I'd still rather spend my money to live somewhere else more engaging until this place's potential is met since there's no appreciation at stake. It seems there will be plenty of apartments still available.

Depending on what you're looking for you could be in Montford, Lower South  End, Eastover or many other places close to uptown, the rail trail, etc. for the prices Sycamore is charging. 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2018 at 7:43 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

image.jpg

The Audi R8 looks like it's wondering what happened to Cars & Coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is an updated aerial from October 2019 and it shows they still have a good bit to go but this is a great project for that area.

https://cityparkcharlotte.com/app/uploads/2019/11/City-Park-Aerials-Outlined-2019-10-18.pdf

https://cityparkcharlotte.com/

Is the light rail to the airport definitely happening?   If so, will this have a stop?

• Like 1