Charlotte Coliseum Massive Development - City Park

monsoon

That is one asphalt-packed siteplan! Hopefully they at least use recycle some of the asphalt from the Coliseum parking lot. Why are the housing units near the freeway and not near the creek? It seems like it would be smarter to have put the housing on the west side of the development, with more office near the Coliseum center and visible from Billy Graham Freeway near Yorkmont. Oh well, they don't ask me these things.

That site plan was approved in January 2004, two years before the council approved Pope and Land's purchase of the property? Are we not just seeing a plat of what could happen based on the zoning that the city staff sought to change?

The 'Vision' on the City Park site is similar, but not nearly as sparse.

Okay, that is a MUCH better siteplan. The first one was so sparse, whereas this has a good mixture of various housing and office types. I like the concentration along the main drive, and at the front entrance by Tyvola. That should help it be supportive of transit in the future, but also allows this to be a like the urban center of the Tyvola area.

• 4 months later...

The City Park website has a link to a construction cam page, which hopefully will be live soon. :)

There are also some aerials from early October showing where grading has begun on the site as well as the site plans that have been posted previously.

http://www.cityparkcharlotte.com/

I really think that this project has a huge amount of merit. It really creates a dense residential base supporting all the offices nearby. I think that if this project can be successful, and some nearby land can be developed in a similar dense pattern, there is a strong case for increasing transit to this area. I still like my idea of creating an airport to SouthPark route past this project.

• 4 months later...

That's interesting. It may very well be slowed by the economy and the financing situation. But it could also very well just be non-visible progress, which is a stage that sets off panic (or whatever) on every project that has ever been discussed on UP.

Their rezoning was only just recently approved, so it seems plausible that they are now making arrangements and designs.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2007-082.htm

We'll see, but please keep us posted, as some of us never ever get down that way.

I checked the Building Permits site and there is a Demolition Permit for a building on the site they are still working on. After the demolition is done it is going to take a while for them to put utilities on this site including a new road network. So its going to be a while before we see any buildings going vertical on this site.

I have added "City Park" to the thread title to help people searching for it.

In the CBJ insert this week for Earth Day, Pope & Land received recognition for recycling a great deal of the Coliseum building. A lot of the bricks and metal were taken for reuse, and then the rubble was used on site for fill material. The latter part was a bit weak to be considered 'reuse/recycle', but at least that rubble wasn't trucked off the site, and fill material from other places trucked to the site. So while it wasn't recycled in a traditional sense, its use on site did save a great deal of fossil fuel use/ carbon emissions and cost. They also recycled the asphalt from the coliseum parking lots for their greenway trail and the new streets, in addition to keeping some of the street network of the coliseum siteplan.

I am very happy to have a developer come to Charlotte that has a lot of it right. We don't know the architecture yet, but the siteplan is quite urban for a suburban location. They also didn't consider the city's desire for making it a mixed use site as a negative, and a need to discount the price paid like Crescent tried to. The fact that they tried to be as efficient and wasteless as possible with the materials on the site is a great thing. Most Charlotte developers would not even think twice about that as a concept.

One thing that I noticed on the master plan that I did not see before is that they are reorienting Yorkmont on the east side of this project to connect in with the Billy Graham/Westport Dr intersection. They are basically creating a thoroughfare-like connection between Billy Graham and Tyvola according to their rezoning site plan (although I notice on their website master plan that they don't take it all the way to Tyvola in that).

While it isn't great to have the at-grade intersections on Billy Graham, this one is already there, and might make it easier in the long run to turn to a grade separated insection. Either way, though, the connectivity will help the area out a lot.

That's good news about the reuse of the on-site material. Definitely sounds like some responsible developers are at work here.

Are there any plans in the near future to "do something" with Tyvola? Since the coliseum is no longer there, the road should just become a regular thoroughfare (no more overhead lane designations, that's unnecessary) with considerations for this massive urban development, future urban developments, and the recreational uses that already exist (Renaissance Park).

Are there any plans in the near future to "do something" with Tyvola? Since the coliseum is no longer there, the road should just become a regular thoroughfare (no more overhead lane designations, that's unnecessary) with considerations for this massive urban development, future urban developments, and the recreational uses that already exist (Renaissance Park).

Well, they turned off the multi-directional signs, or at least stopped changing them and/or put up permanent one-way signs a year or so ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this project appears to be expanding slightly.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../05/story9.html

It now includes a small section of land across Tyvola for retail that the city allowed to be incorporated into the project under the stipulation that it not be developed in a typical strip mall pattern.

That land is now on the City Park website with an updated Master Plan from what I saw last week. They also show that steet connecting all the way to Tyvola from the new intersection with Billy Graham at Westport Dr. Even without the intense mixture of uses and the green methods that this developer is applying to this site, the connectivity alone is fairly unbelievable for a suburban Charlotte project. Square blocks, with ways in and out all over the place, and a new thoroughfare connection provided between two heavily crossed roadways. Then you look further into the siteplan and see that in almost every place they have put the buildings up against the street and put parking behind that, including a lot of decked parking spaces. All this on land that is now where near a transit corridor that is trying to spur this type of development to happen!

http://www.cityparkcharlotte.com/pdf/rendering_2.pdf