Charlotte Coliseum Massive Development - City Park

monsoon

Part of the problem, in my view is this: the parcel-level Centers, Corridors, and Wedges Framework. What you see took the basic framework of the 2025 Transit/LU vision (from '97), and developed it on a parcel level. Look at the area where the arena, and now City Park, was located. This area was identified as a "center" as shown in blue. Arguably, when you look at the other centers located outside of Uptown: Eastland, South Park, Ballantyne, etc, the old arena site could have easily been left out of the new framework and returned to it's pre-arena "wedge" state. Once the new arena was built Uptown, why was their a need to keep this area as a center? Again, it's arguable. I think the reason it was included as a center was to allow a new development (City Park) to come in and help the city recoup some of its real and perceived losses from the controversy of the arena situation.

If only we could build our transit system faster. Its been said on here before that too much of our transit system forces people to go through uptown to get anywhere. That, I think, is a symptom of how our city grew, forcing our transit to be spokes instead of a grid. I agree this would be a good location for a "satelite" center to uptown along with Southpark, Eastland, and maybe even URP. I believe it was Dubone who made a proposed line from the airport to Southpark that would cut through City Park. Maybe this would be the next step of the 2030 plan....the 2050 plan. Connecting the satelite centers to the existing transit infrastructure.

If City Park should not be aproved because its density doesn't follow the centers and corridors plan, then what would be "good city planning" for this site? Connectivity and mixed uses, just without the density?

It probably retains the "center" due to the already large amount of office space the area contains. The area is close to the airport and already contains some of the highest amount of office space outside of downtown and south park. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Coliseum area third in office space after these two? (Unless Ballentyne has passed it...)

Today's Observer has a good article about all this, including a map.

I saw that article. I didn't realize that the trails at City Park were dependent on voter approved bonds for greenways. I thought it was a project being done solely by the developer. Their website shows it as a sure thing and a vital part of their development.

Edited by Raintree21

I saw that article. I didn't realize that the trails at City Park were dependent on voter approved bonds for greenways. I thought it was a project being done solely by the developer. Their website shows it as a sure thing and a vital part of their development.

I believe the on-site portion of the trail system within this project will be built by the developer, the connectivity to the surrounding system will be funded by Parks and Rec.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

The Mecklenburg Times is reporting that Atlanta-based Oxford Properties purchased 11 of these acres and will build a $30 million "luxury apartment complex"

cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=6881%7c76285%7c67772%7c8186&digest=9sgZTfKv0X%2fqrjOlrL6%2fLQ&sysid=1 (subscribers only, I am not one)

^ the blue collar Ballantyne. Ha. I never liked the area too much. It always feels so empty and very sterile like an empty bank plaza. (never drive by during work because obviously I work when they work to and it's out of my way commute wise)

But I was really getting at in referencing Ballantyne is that this area is going to be cookie cutters with a few office buildings sprinkled around or slightly more urban.

I was too enthralled in uptown development during the construction boom to follow this project.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^ the blue collar Ballantyne. Ha. I never liked the area too much. It always feels so empty and very sterile like an empty bank plaza. (never drive by during work because obviously I work when they work to and it's out of my way commute wise)

But I was really getting at in referencing Ballantyne is that this area is going to be cookie cutters with a few office buildings sprinkled around or slightly more urban.

I was sorta hoping this would have the site of the new Zoo.

I was too enthralled in uptown development during the construction boom to follow this project.

There was never anything to follow really. The developer was supposed to have developed one of the subdivided outparcels for retail but I don't even think THAT got off the ground.

Given the larger context of nothing but suburban office parks and hotels, the most this could be is a New Urbanist development akin to Birkdale or Baxter. That wouldn't be too bad and would have been realistic even pre-recession (which is what I think the original plans called for, sort of).