Charlotte Coliseum Massive Development - City Park

monsoon

• 6 months later...

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, KJHburg said:

Usually this would be not be big news but as far as I know this is the first hotel to be started in Charlotte since Corvid 19 arrived on our shores and destroyed our robust lodging industry so it is significant.

""Charlotte-based Shreeji Hotel Group has broken ground on its $20 million, five-story hotel near Charlotte Douglas International Airport.  That SpringHill Suites by Marriott is slated to open in the first quarter of 2022. The development group has teamed up with Marriott International Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) on that project, located at 2223 Cascade Pointe Blvd.   “The decision to partner with Marriott in developing a SpringHill Suites felt natural, with the Marriott team working seamlessly alongside us to bring this project to life,” says Akshar Patel, Shreeji CFO and partner.  Shreeji also plans to develop a second luxury brand hotel on that 5.7-acre site as well. ""

from the Biz Journal https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/08/14/construction-starts-on-springhill-suites-near-clt.html

there is a brand new dual brand Hilton hotel next door.  

Sorry to be so negative, but the rendering leaves much to be desired aesthetically.  Maybe I'm not seeing it in the right light, however.

5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I mean, it's a suburban interstate exit hotel. That rendering is probably pretty accurate. 

No issues with accuracy.  I personally find the hotel especially plain and unattractive, and I've seen far better from new Springhill Suites properties, even when adjacent to an interchange or near an interstate.  But alas, when you lack direction in design standards, the void gets filled with such renderings.  I suppose in this economy, the argument will get made that we should be grateful there's even a rooftop.  I'm not raging, just commenting:).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

First game I saw there and first game there ever, as I recall, was the 1988 Olympic squad, summer of '88. The team had a scrimmage with the top college players which made up the Olympic team versus an NBA All Star team. This was the last year the Olympics team was "amateurs". The Dream Team was in place in 1992. 

That place was enormous. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Teenager? I started attending games there when I was 3 years old

sorry my friend for casting you older!  were you one of those screaming kids near me at a game LOL?

Muggsy Bogues, Kelly Tripuka, Rex Chapman, Dell Curry  etc.  

1988-1989 CHARLOTTE HORNETS INAUGURAL FIRST TEAM 8X10 PHOTO CURRY BOGUES  LOWE | eBay

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 7 months later...

The STRANGE-est thing I ever saw there was Benny Hinn. 

You can find him on the web and youtube touching and kissing the afflicted, and they fall to the floor in a healing seizure. Annointing healing as he names it. 30 years ago it was more dramatic and full of shouting and tears and casting out demons.

But the crowd of people, it was astounding. Desperate, hoping, clinging to their family members. 

We went one afternoon to collect our Hornets pre-season tickets from the Coliseum (no brand name, just charlotte Coliseum) and there were vehicles unloading people on stretchers and gurneys and those with crutches and every infirmity imaginable hobbling, dragging, struggling to his service(?). I had never heard of him until that afternoon when he was performing his spiritual magic for the believers. 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

I think this is it:

Click through to the latter part of the service; healing cancer, raising those confined to wheelchairs, preventing amputations. LOOK at the size of that crowd in a 24,000 seat arena. Imagine the procession of the sick, lame and injured into the coliseum, Far, far more than what came on stage and on camera and that is what I saw. Astounding.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, Spburn2 said:

Does anyone know what Land & Pope are planning for their three undeveloped parcels (#1, 2, and 10 on their map here: https://www.popeandland.com/property/city-park/)? They filed a site plan amendment earlier this year (record RZP-2023-012). 

they seem to be making tweaking their entitlements.  I think the parcel 10 is planned for townhomes  and the others are more commercial uses.  

https://cityparkcharlotte.com/app/uploads/2023/04/City-Park-Aerials-Outlined-2023-4-12.pdf

More documents will be filed here but it is early in the rezoning process

https://www.charlottenc.gov/Growth-and-Development/Planning-and-Development/Rezoning/2023/012

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...