3 story addition to Am South building

smeagolsfree

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind the AmSouth so much. Maybe since I remember it when it was just a hole in the ground I have a certain affinity for 70s. And I do like the new addition proposal. As a regular Joe, though, and someone who really wants to have a relationship with the new Civic Plaza, the idea of a streetside upscale restaurant bugs me a bit. Give me some place I can grab a sandwich at 3 in the afternoon or a bagel in the morning. Put a Panera there or something. The edge of a public space should not be lined with exclusivity. I'm sure it will be very nice and pretty, but if I'm on the Square with my laptop and get thirsty or hungry, what am I going to do? Maybe the Stahlam will address that with not only street level retail, but USEFUL street level retail.

.... if I'm on the Square with my laptop and get thirsty or hungry, what am I going to do? ....

This reminded me of somthing that I recently did: I was on vacation in Miami and there was a Romano's Macaroni Grill next to the beach there. Well, I was thirsty and I just strolled into Romano's like I owned the place, walked over to the servers' station, grabbed a styrofoam cup, scooped some ice into it, filled it with the water pitcher, and strolled right back out to the beach. Nobody said anything because I did it with confidence and speed. What could they say? Everything I took was basically offered for free anyway - I just bypassed the cumbersome seating process. You could always do something similar at this new restaurant.

Anyway - all kidding aside, I do like this new building. Maybe the new transit center on Charlotte will offer more pedestria fare - that building will also be within comfortable walking distance of the new square. However, I truely hope there will be some Chicago-style hot dog vendors in the park who will sell you your bottled water on the spot.

However, I truely hope there will be some Chicago-style hot dog vendors in the park who will sell you your bottled water on the spot.

Yeah, Chicago-style hotdogs would be perfect. If they are really Chicago-style, they'll have lots of onions, pickle relish, and mustard and absolutely no ketchup available. Maybe the kiosk could also have Italian Ices and gelato. Or at least breath mints!

Yeah, Chicago-style hotdogs would be perfect. If they are really Chicago-style, they'll have lots of onions, pickle relish, and mustard and absolutely no ketchup available. Maybe the kiosk could also have Italian Ices and gelato. Or at least breath mints!

Hot Diggity Dog needs an outpost in downtown proper -- love that place. I like the AmSouth addition. Actually I think AmSouth is a decent building, tho my experience with it is limited to the banking lobby and some of the retail. Gym and restaurant addition is OK, but I hope they have at least one other retail space.

This will definitely be a welcome addition. There's a significant contrast in architecture between the 70's style AmSouth Tower and this addtion. But I have no problem with that. I like contrastring architectural styles...here and also with the Westin project that contrasts with the old Broadway structures.

• 4 months later...
This will definitely be a welcome addition. There's a significant contrast in architecture between the 70's style AmSouth Tower and this addtion. But I have no problem with that. I like contrastring architectural styles...here and also with the Westin project that contrasts with the old Broadway structures.

What a wonderful statement!

Diversity in archetectural style is so necessary to the vitality of any city. It is just as necessary as diversity in the human population. Architecture corresponds to a city's values. It can show what mistakes have been endured and how those mistakes were corrected. It can show what attempts a city has made toward growth and progress, as well as what a city has accomplished toward those goals. It shows a city's character. Therein, lies a particular facet of a city's charm.

I find it healthy to mix the old with the new--venerating the wisdom of the ages while delighting in the constant change of time. It is high time that we begin to let go of our cultural addiction to childish protectivism. We can spend our city waiting to exhale, or we can breathe freely the gift of urban growth and rebirth!

• 2 months later...

Signs that this project is getting underway are begining to show in the way of signs...

The area where the addition will be constructed (3rd Ave Side) has a large sign up with a rendering of the finished addition. I believe the sign has the lettering AmSouth Construction up top. I could only see it from a tight angle so Not 100% sure what it said up top.

I guess this means things are in motion for the addition. Good News!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bank of America lit up their logo a whole lot more a month or so ago. I wonder if it was to compete with the new suntrust plaza. I really like it lit up like it is now though. It adds a little color to the skyline with the bright blue and red. Nashville needs a little color at night IMO. Everything is lit up with white light. Hopefully regions will light up their new signage really brightly too. Bright green would look nice I think.

Archived