New Condo Building for Chattanooga's Southside

flith

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting design. I like it. Where is Cowart? It resembles the building going up on Frazier.

It's immediately south of the CBD, where Market St. and Broad St spread apart, somewhat near the Chattanooga Choo Choo. 14th St. would be an intersecting street near there.

This is a very exciting development for South Chattanooga. Up until now the larger condo projects have been near the north and south shores. South Chattanooga has been moving forward at a smart pace with numerous developments, but this project rachets up the scale of development a notch. I, too, really like the look of this project as well.

Another thing you have to like about this development and many others in the area is the street level retail. This is going to be a great addition to South Chattanooga.

A five story triangular shaped building will be built on Cowart Street. The building will cost $9 mil, construction begins in the spring of '07, and it will have 21 residential units, underground parking, balconies, and roof decks.

This project is also waiting on a zoning variance, this area is also restricted to 4 stories like the North Shore.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Chatty... gloomy day, but DT was bustling. Does anybody have a good list of all the DT projects under construction and proposed... with their dollar amounts?

I know of the huge BCBS complex, Riverbluffs phase 1 and 2... the apartments on Walnut. Townhouses on Cherry (not to mention the ones just completed)... new building replacing the Election Commission at 4th and Georgia... the Doubletree renovation (Old clarion???)... The block on Market Street with 8-story lofts (Mayfair???)... lots of stuff on Main and Market... Condos across from Southside Grill... and the stuff on Northshore (417 Frazier... new bldg on Market and Frazier replacing the bank branch with 52 condos)... the two huge bldgs beside Renaissance Park.... townhouses on Stringers Ridge... and what about the hotel that was proposed beside Coolidge Park? I know I missed a fair amount of stuff. Didn't count EPB b/c it's finished now... and other stuff wrapping up.

Sorry for the run-on list... but I was in a hurry. Lots of stuff going on.

I went down to Ross's Landing Monday evening to check out the Nina and even though it was raining you could still feel the energy of the new life that has entered downtown since the early 90's.

On a side note:

The Market St bridge is coming along nice.

I dont have any papaerwork or links showing a specific time when the bridge was last opened up, but I do recall watching the local Chattanooga news one evening in the last 3 years or so when the bridge was being opened up to make sure all the moving parts still moved correctly.

If I am not mistaken the draw bridge funtion will remain after the renovation is complete.

The first time I saw that bridge, I though it was f-ugly... but it has really really grown on me to the point where I think it actually looks kind of graceful. I no longer look at it and see those huge counterweights atop each end. My four year old son even recognized it. He's seen it from the Aquarium and calls it the "Tennessee Bridge"... I guess because he knows he has to go to Tennessee to see it.

So what's going on in the southend?

Hey!!! This is the first time I've ever noticed that my post is marked with the time in Central Time. My computer clock is 4:38, but when I save this edit, it will show in central. Why is that? It used to give the EDT/EST time.

Just got back from Chatty... gloomy day, but DT was bustling. Does anybody have a good list of all the DT projects under construction and proposed... with their dollar amounts?

I know of the huge BCBS complex, Riverbluffs phase 1 and 2... the apartments on Walnut. Townhouses on Cherry (not to mention the ones just completed)... new building replacing the Election Commission at 4th and Georgia... the Doubletree renovation (Old clarion???)... The block on Market Street with 8-story lofts (Mayfair???)... lots of stuff on Main and Market... Condos across from Southside Grill... and the stuff on Northshore (417 Frazier... new bldg on Market and Frazier replacing the bank branch with 52 condos)... the two huge bldgs beside Renaissance Park.... townhouses on Stringers Ridge... and what about the hotel that was proposed beside Coolidge Park? I know I missed a fair amount of stuff. Didn't count EPB b/c it's finished now... and other stuff wrapping up.

Sorry for the run-on list... but I was in a hurry. Lots of stuff going on.

• 2 months later...

What happened to this project? I see the design now, and I really like it. Also, what kind of setting is it in? Is it already in an urban downtown area, or just a neighborhood? I was wondering, because it looks like it has street level retail, and I didn't know how walkable the area is.

I believe it's scheduled to start in the next month or so. The architect/developer currently has two other projects under way just a few blocks away so I think they are a little busy. The setting is more urban, but nothing like the core CBD or Aquarium District. I think the tallest building on the block is 4 stories.

Directly across Main Street from this project you start to get into the Cowart Place neighborhood, which is made up of single family homes (bungalow and charleston style), townhomes and condos. The Southside definitely has a lot of construction going on.

Edit: Also wanted to note that the MLS shows these condos being in the $220 a square foot range.

Archived