War Memorial Park

Cru Jones

Interesting article today about this in the ADG.

It sounds like the following are very likely:

1) Closure of Fair Park Blvd through the park

2) Demolition of Ray Winder and expansion of the zoo to that land, which the zoo wants for a large elephant exhibit.

3) Closure of half or all of the golf course

4) Creation of more walkable green spaces

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2) Demolition of Ray Winder and expansion of the zoo to that land, which the zoo wants for a large elephant exhibit.

YES!!!

I hope the city really goes all out to create a nice city park. That could really help this part of town in addition to all the new retail. This is great news.

If they close Fair Park Blvd will they also close Jonesboro Dr? If the Zoo is able to get Ray Winder then Jonesboro Dr. will divide the Zoo. I would rather see them close Jonesboro Dr. and leave Fair Park open. Or they could close down Fair Park and expand the Zoo to the West instead of taking on Ray Winder.

If they close Fair Park Blvd will they also close Jonesboro Dr? If the Zoo is able to get Ray Winder then Jonesboro Dr. will divide the Zoo. I would rather see them close Jonesboro Dr. and leave Fair Park open. Or they could close down Fair Park and expand the Zoo to the West instead of taking on Ray Winder.

I don't think the issue is the Fair Park exit, which would have to be maintained in order to give interstate access to the zoo. I think the real issue is that Fair Park can be fairly busy at times and that traffic keeps the park splintered and dissuades people from walking between segments of the park. It serves as much as an outlet for the UAMS and ADH employees who use the stadium parking lot as anything.

Jonesboro Drive isn't the most useful connection, anyway. It could go away as far as I'm concerned.

Fair Park carries a good deal of traffic certain times of the day. Starting around 3pm the intersection of FPB and Markham becomes congested with northbound vehicles stacking up. If FPB was closed where would the traffic go? If Zoo Drive was closed could FPB be walled off and additional pedestrian tunnels built to accommodate foot traffic?

Fair Park carries a good deal of traffic certain times of the day. Starting around 3pm the intersection of FPB and Markham becomes congested with northbound vehicles stacking up. If FPB was closed where would the traffic go? If Zoo Drive was closed could FPB be walled off and additional pedestrian tunnels built to accommodate foot traffic?

Most of it would probably go to Pine/Cedar or University. Fair Park carries a lot of traffic between I-630 and Van Buren to Hillcrest. It also carries a lot of UAMS/VA traffic that could be diverted to Pine/Cedar. Regardless, I think the viewpoint that it will be tough for War Memorial to become a true pedestrian park with Fair Park at current traffic levels dividing is pretty valid.

Most of it would probably go to Pine/Cedar or University. Fair Park carries a lot of traffic between I-630 and Van Buren to Hillcrest. It also carries a lot of UAMS/VA traffic that could be diverted to Pine/Cedar. Regardless, I think the viewpoint that it will be tough for War Memorial to become a true pedestrian park with Fair Park at current traffic levels dividing is pretty valid.

I respectfully disagree. Van Buren is a fairly major thoroughfare, the closure of which would wreck havoc on accessibility to Hillcrest, and frankly, the park itself. If the road divided a common use area, such as the zoo if it expanded, then yes, that would be a problem. But the zoo expansion will go north and east, not west. Good park planning can satisfactorily address any perceived barrier or hindrance such as this - there are thousands of examples. Through proper planning, vehicular, bike and pedestrian thoroughfares can coexist quite comfortably - check out any major urban park in the country, Central Park being one example. The assumption that it cannot coexist is myopic and short-sighted, and is the reason why the extension of Rebsamen Park Road was shot down, which was a mistake in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree. Van Buren is a fairly major thoroughfare, the closure of which would wreck havoc on accessibility to Hillcrest, and frankly, the park itself. If the road divided a common use area, such as the zoo if it expanded, then yes, that would be a problem. But the zoo expansion will go north and east, not west. Good park planning can satisfactorily address any perceived barrier or hindrance such as this - there are thousands of examples. Through proper planning, vehicular, bike and pedestrian thoroughfares can coexist quite comfortably - check out any major urban park in the country, Central Park being one example. The assumption that it cannot coexist is myopic and short-sighted, and is the reason why the extension of Rebsamen Park Road was shot down, which was a mistake in my opinion.

I was just explaining where the traffic would go, which was true. There are ways around getting rid of Fair Park like sinking the road and elevating the landscape around it and building frequent pedestrian bridges over it. In some ways that would make it more attractive than eliminating it altogether. I don't think tunnels are a very good idea, they're neither safe nor attractive.

I think a lot hedges on the new layout for the park, which we haven't seen and probably isn't formulated yet. I think one side of Fair Park should be reserved largely for the zoo and stadium and the other for the rest of the park's amenities. If that were the case, little pedestrian traffic would cross anyway.

Many zoos even cross over major thoroughfares with bridges or tunnels connecting the pieces. The Dallas Zoo is like this.

Interesting quote about the future of Ray Winder by Bill Valentine: "....you want Ray Winder Field...you can have it....want to save it...you get everything that is here...want to tear it down...then what ever is here that I want is mine...pretty simple isn't it..." It looks as if the city and the state would be the only thing holding up the ballpark from becoming part of the zoo.

Gotta agree with you Architect. Fair Park carries too much traffic through the park for it not effect University (even with the expanded lanes to Markham) and Pine/Cedar if it is closed. If they want connectivity to both sides of the park they should build pedestrian bridges to connect them.

Any idea if they would place one or more police sub stations in the park? Crime is one thing that could kill, (no pun intended) the momentum of an urban park, and while I love this part of town, it's not exactly a bubble secluded from some of the rougher surrounding areas.

Part of Stodola's plan if he's elected is to have a midtown police station somewhere near University Ave. I don't think anyone else has it on their agenda or at least hasn't mentioned it.

I've never thought of War Memorial Park or the zoo area as unsafe.

Part of Stodola's plan if he's elected is to have a midtown police station somewhere near University Ave. I don't think anyone else has it on their agenda or at least hasn't mentioned it.

I've never thought of War Memorial Park or the zoo area as unsafe.

I don't neccessarily think of the area as unsafe, but the surrounding area has it's fair share of riff raff. A place like a park gives some of these folks a place to loiter, which could eventually lead to problems. Similar to the situation that parts of Central Park were having in the early to mid 90's. I don't think of the RiverMarket or Lakewood Village as unsafe either, but the police were forced to increase their presence in these areas because crime was becoming an issue and something needed to be done before it affected the popularity of these areas. Just my opinion.

I agree with lowering Fair Park but it doesn't have to be very much. With berming and pedestrian bridges, the cars would disappear even if the road was lowered only a few feet. I drive Fair Park all the time and cannot imagine the traffic nightmare if it was completely eliminated.

Does anyone remember (way back!!!) when the zoo was actually nice AND free, and you could park on the west side of Van Buren/Fair Park Blvd. and walk UNDER the road in a tunnel that led you into the zoo?

Does anyone remember (way back!!!) when the zoo was actually nice AND free, and you could park on the west side of Van Buren/Fair Park Blvd. and walk UNDER the road in a tunnel that led you into the zoo?

Way, Way back, before the zoo had a minimal admission fee many of the animals were kept in small pens, on concrete, about 12 X 12 or maybe smaller, that lined Fair Park. In those days the zoo wasn't so nice but it was free.

yes, and when KC was in a 8 x8 cage.

The LR Zoo has problems today. No doubt. But there are parts of the Zoo that have improved. If not asthetically to humans, then environmentally for the animals. The recent re-accreditation is evidence of that.

The City's custodianship has likely deterred support for the zoo. The zoo has a very difficult time raising money. They lost one grant. Failed to get it when they reapplied and did not get awarded another grant. I think they have still failed to raise enough money for the African Penguin Exhibit for with there was going to be matching funds. I know of a potential donor, ready to give up to 20K. The Zoo came up with an opportunity to split the cost of the roof on the Civitan center, octogon-shaped eating area. According to the Zoo Master plan at that time, the structure was to be razed. What donor gives money knowing there is no long-term benefit?

I like the Zoo Director, Mike Blakely. I realize that it is easy to point fingers at Zoo Director and his staff for the problems. I mostly blame the Zoo Board of Governors. From my dealings with the Zoo, most decision about non-operational expenditures have to be approved through the Zoo Board of Governors. George Mallory has been chair of ZBG since Mike Blakely has been there. He is an accountant.

I believe the termination of the free Zoo admission one Sunday every month and the increased gate prices are his decisions.

The LR Zoo has problems today. No doubt. But there are parts of the Zoo that have improved. If not asthetically to humans, then environmentally for the animals. The recent re-accreditation is evidence of that.

The City's custodianship has likely deterred support for the zoo. The zoo has a very difficult time raising money. They lost one grant. Failed to get it when they reapplied and did not get awarded another grant. I think they have still failed to raise enough money for the African Penguin Exhibit for with there was going to be matching funds. I know of a potential donor, ready to give up to 20K. The Zoo came up with an opportunity to split the cost of the roof on the Civitan center, octogon-shaped eating area. According to the Zoo Master plan at that time, the structure was to be razed. What donor gives money knowing there is no long-term benefit?

I like the Zoo Director, Mike Blakely. I realize that it is easy to point fingers at Zoo Director and his staff for the problems. I mostly blame the Zoo Board of Governors. From my dealings with the Zoo, most decision about non-operational expenditures have to be approved through the Zoo Board of Governors. George Mallory has been chair of ZBG since Mike Blakely has been there. He is an accountant.

I believe the termination of the free Zoo admission one Sunday every month and the increased gate prices are his decisions.

All good points. I was mainly trying to point out the path under Fair Park in my original comment, but it is incredulous that at one time, the city was in a financial position to build (okay, that was CCC), maintain and operate a facility (which, admittedly, was irrespective of the animal environs common at that time) without a gate fee. How times have changed.

Little Rock has absolutely terrible community support for its zoo. When you visit zoos in most communities you see tremendous corporate sponsorship of exhibits throughout the zoo and massive corporate support. If you want an example look at Tyler, TX which is a community similar in size to Ft Smith. They have a wonderful and well-supported zoo. LR's philanthropists like the Stephens and Rockefellers tend to support the Arts Center and the Rep while they ignore the zoo. Corporate sponsors, save Metropolitan National which sponsors the lion exhibit, are few. While it may be less culturally significant it is very important to families with children or grandchildren. The sad thing is it really transcends Little Rock. It serves the children of most of the state, just look at the buses of children on field trips on any given day. It serves children and families of all incomes.

I think one carrot the zoo should dangle out there is naming rights for the zoo. Not only for specific exhibits but more specifically for the zoo itself. If the Rockefellers or Stephens or someone similar were willing to donate $20 million or more I think they should have the zoo named after them.

Perhaps the answer is a strong mayor with an agenda regarding the zoo. Regarding funding I think LR taxpayers would be glad to help support it if a tax were proposed that wasn't attached to several things they DON'T want. A simple tax to support infrastructure in terms of roads and parks including funding for the zoo under a new mayor might pass if it's not excessive. I think the zoo should be removed from the umbrella of the Parks and Recreation Department and becoming a distinct entity. I also think a small amount of state and county funding would help.

I'm hoping the consulting group evaluating War Memorial Park will bring to light the opportunity we're missing with the park and the zoo. I also would scrap the master plans and come up with some sort of them. The new entrance was terrible.

Little Rock has absolutely terrible community support for its zoo. When you visit zoos in most communities you see tremendous corporate sponsorship of exhibits throughout the zoo and massive corporate support. If you want an example look at Tyler, TX which is a community similar in size to Ft Smith. They have a wonderful and well-supported zoo. LR's philanthropists like the Stephens and Rockefellers tend to support the Arts Center and the Rep while they ignore the zoo. Corporate sponsors, save Metropolitan National which sponsors the lion exhibit, are few. While it may be less culturally significant it is very important to families with children or grandchildren. The sad thing is it really transcends Little Rock. It serves the children of most of the state, just look at the buses of children on field trips on any given day. It serves children and families of all incomes.

I think one carrot the zoo should dangle out there is naming rights for the zoo. Not only for specific exhibits but more specifically for the zoo itself. If the Rockefellers or Stephens or someone similar were willing to donate $20 million or more I think they should have the zoo named after them.

Perhaps the answer is a strong mayor with an agenda regarding the zoo. Regarding funding I think LR taxpayers would be glad to help support it if a tax were proposed that wasn't attached to several things they DON'T want. A simple tax to support infrastructure in terms of roads and parks including funding for the zoo under a new mayor might pass if it's not excessive. I think the zoo should be removed from the umbrella of the Parks and Recreation Department and becoming a distinct entity. I also think a small amount of state and county funding would help.

I'm hoping the consulting group evaluating War Memorial Park will bring to light the opportunity we're missing with the park and the zoo. I also would scrap the master plans and come up with some sort of them. The new entrance was terrible.

I believe the Zoo has been pulled out of Parks and Rec. and is it own entity now.

You are right about the lack of corporate support for the Zoo. A tax now for anything is not going to pass for a while, even when a new mayor is elected. The Zoo should look at what the Little Rock National and Northwest Regional Airports are going to do and try to get money from the state. The Zoo maybe in Little Rock, but it is something that is enjoyed and used by everyone in the state.

I always wondered if it was practical to support the zoo in the way we do our libraries, via property taxes. Little Rock's library system is now really quite good thanks to funding. A small Pulaski Co property tax similar to what helps support Children's Hospital might be the answer.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived