War Memorial Park

Cru Jones

The consultant, Hoal, has made several recommendations for War Memorial Park including:

1) Reducing traffic on Fair Park Blvd through War Memorial Park, including possibly elimating the I-630 exit or moving the access to Jonesboro Drive or Monroe St.

2) Closing Ray Winder Field

3) Expanding the zoo

4) Elimating the tennis courts and adding ball fields

5) Closing part or all of the golf course

6) Damming Coleman Creek to create pools of water or a small lake in the park

His final report with drawings will be released in late Spring and more input from the steering committee is needed and everything will have to be cleared by the city Board of Directors but Stacy Hurst made it clear that the city planned to stick with Hoal's recommendations.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone needs to tell the "golfers" that War Memorial isn't golf. It's a par 66. There are plenty of other places near by for them to play. Or better yet, just tell them to buy a pitch and putt for their back yard. It's basically the same thing as WM. I guess they would need to park a few hundred cars in their backyard 2 or 3 times every fall to get the full WM golf course effect. They need to shut down the entire course for the use and enjoyment of ALL LR citizens. It's common sense.

...and I love golf.

The consultant, Hoal, has made several recommendations for War Memorial Park including:

1) Reducing traffic on Fair Park Blvd through War Memorial Park, including possibly elimating the I-630 exit or moving the access to Jonesboro Drive or Monroe St.

3) Expanding the zoo

His final report with drawings will be released in late Spring and more input from the steering committee is needed and everything will have to be cleared by the city Board of Directors but Stacy Hurst made it clear that the city planned to stick with Hoal's recommendations.

Someone needs to tell the "golfers" that War Memorial isn't golf. It's a par 66. There are plenty of other places near by for them to play. Or better yet, just tell them to buy a pitch and putt for their back yard. It's basically the same thing as WM. I guess they would need to park a few hundred cars in their backyard 2 or 3 times every fall to get the full WM golf course effect. They need to shut down the entire course for the use and enjoyment of ALL LR citizens. It's common sense.

...and I love golf.

As for the tennis courts, I have no dog in that fight, but it would seem to make sense to have tennis courts between Rebsamen GC and Murray Park. It would further enhance the recreational "district" in that part of the city.

I agree with you on Rebsamen GC as well. It's about as nice a city course as you'll find in this part of the country. Similar to Galloway in Memphis. I'd like to see LR take the funds that are being spent on WM and open another Rebsamen quality course somewhere off of I-430. Maybe that would passify the hackers who want WM protected too.

3) Expanding the zoo

I think the idea of reducing or eliminating the Fair Park I-630 exit is preposterous. A great park can coexist with one meandering two-lane. Omitting it wouldn't fundamentally affect any aspect of the proposed enhancements, but would have a DRASTIC impact on access to the freeway for they Heights/Hillcrest neighborhoods.

I think the idea of reducing or eliminating the Fair Park I-630 exit is preposterous. A great park can coexist with one meandering two-lane. Omitting it wouldn't fundamentally affect any aspect of the proposed enhancements, but would have a DRASTIC impact on access to the freeway for they Heights/Hillcrest neighborhoods.

You're right, closing the FP/630 exit is a bad idea and the consultants recommendation to reduce traffic on Fair Park Blvd through War Memorial Park is also a non-starter. I frequently use the road and I wonder if the consultant ever actually saw the volume of traffic it carries? Yesterday I went by the Walker Tennis Center and think that what that section of the park badly needs is some landscaping. This would beautify the area and save the expense of demolishing a perfectly good facility.

• 3 months later...

Brief update from Arkansas Business on War Memorial Golf course. Apparently they still haven't decided what to do. I'm amazed that we're still talking about keeping 18 holes of that awful course.

Text below:

The future of Little Rock

I'm not a golfer, so I trust your opinion. It is taking a long time. I prefer that they take as much time as they need and get it right. It would be a great shame to miss the mark with this important Little Rock initiative because of some short-term pressure to "do something".

I see the plans they ultimately adopt as impacting my children, not me. Personally, I will be disappointed if the LR Zoo does not come out a winner. Also, if the space is converted to anything but public use/park and open space.

I've given my opinion on here before, but I'll just say that there is no reason to use this space as a "golf course", 18 holes or 9 holes. It doesn't matter. I think those in favor are letting nostalgia get in the way of common sense. It's not even a real course. It's a 4,400 par 66, that doesn't generate revenue. There are plenty of other cheap courses within 10 minutes. THIS NEEDS TO BE A PARK FOR EVERYONE! (...and I'm a golfer)

(is there a stepping off of soapbox icon?)

• 4 weeks later...

Well there was an article in the Sunday ArkDemGaz about War Memorial Golf course. It discussed a study performed on the golf course by a consulting firm specializing in golf assets. Naturally, that firm suggested that the course should be kept as it is an asset that fills a unique niche (location/inexpensive). One wonders whether such a firm would EVER suggest that a course shouldn't be saved....seems like a conflict of interest to even ask such a firm.

As the article noted, there are several folks out there attempting to save the course, so the bad news is that the whole concept of moving forward with park improvements will probably go even more slowly at this point.

Well there was an article in the Sunday ArkDemGaz about War Memorial Golf course. It discussed a study performed on the golf course by a consulting firm specializing in golf assets. Naturally, that firm suggested that the course should be kept as it is an asset that fills a unique niche (location/inexpensive). One wonders whether such a firm would EVER suggest that a course shouldn't be saved....seems like a conflict of interest to even ask such a firm.

As the article noted, there are several folks out there attempting to save the course, so the bad news is that the whole concept of moving forward with park improvements will probably go even more slowly at this point.

• 6 months later...
There was also a segment on the news last night (Channel 7 I believe), discussing the Park. I was disappointed because I thought this would've been a very good chance to educate the citizens of the possibilities that this park presents. It was a bit one sided though. The only interviews were with golfers on the course, and a member of the Board of Directors (Stacy Hurst). Stacy didn't really give an opinion, just saying that the only thing they have right now is a first draft proposal and haven't decided what to do with the park yet.

If you're interested in seeing the park open up for the use of everyone, and adding a tremendous sense of community in Midtown, here is Stacy's contact info. http://www.littlerock.org/BoardOfDirectors...etail.aspx?ID=5

If you want to keep a glorified par 3 course which takes up some of the most valuable real estate left in LR while better golf courses are only 5 minutes away and DON'T lose money like WMP, please disregard the link :D

Well attended meeting advocates for tennis, golf and bicycling.

Three plans "repair ($)," "rehab ($$)," and "revision ($$$)" were presented. The City has no money budgeted line item for any plan.

Consultant recommend forming a "Friends of War Memorial Park" entity, responsible for volunteer work and education.

Pie-in-the-sky

In order to have hard borders, there is a recommedation to take Monroe across I-630. This is where Ray Winder sits now. New on/off ramps would be built for Monroe and the Fair Park exits and street throught the park would go away. The golf courses only goes away in the revision plan. Otherwise the holes get moved around.

Well attended meeting advocates for tennis, golf and bicycling.

Three plans "repair ($)," "rehab ($$)," and "revision ($$$)" were presented. The City has no money budgeted line item for any plan.

Consultant recommend forming a "Friends of War Memorial Park" entity, responsible for volunteer work and education.

Pie-in-the-sky

In order to have hard borders, there is a recommedation to take Monroe across I-630. This is where Ray Winder sits now. New on/off ramps would be built for Monroe and the Fair Park exits and street throught the park would go away. The golf courses only goes away in the revision plan. Otherwise the holes get moved around.

I still maintain that the idea of omitting the Fair Park through-way is piss-poor planning. What the @#)($*!! does that have to do with making a great park!? Hundreds of exceptional urban parks have through-ways, and its not like its parcels are too small because of the bisection! I-630 and traffic flow needs to-from midtown don't need to be compromised because of tunnel vision, and what part of the non-budget can support a new freeway interchange at Monroe!!! Good grief. This is the tail wagging the dog.

Is their really a need for another public library? I noticed every plan included this. I say upgrade the tennis center (I don't play), close the golf course, expand the zoo (our zoo is horrible), Ray-Winder needs to be torn down, leave the rest for open park space (ie Central Park) w/ several gathering areas. The lake idea was a decent one.

Eliminating Fair Park makes no sense. The people who are suggesting this have no clue on at least two levels. First, Fair Park is an important thoroughfare for emptying mid-town onto I-630. Secondly, what do you gain by eliminating it from the park? I guess you could expand the zoo west... but why not expand it east towards Ray Winder instead. Fair Park? People use it. Ray Winder? People don't. So, I don't understand the logic at all.

Also, I don't understand the outcry from people wanting to close the golf course. Sure open space is a good thing... but having a municipal golf course in the absolute heart of town is a good thing, too. Not a lot of places have such and it makes Little Rock unique in that regard.

Archived