Downtown Grocery Store

bluff2085

from the Memphis Daily News... http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=94242

an excerpt from the article:

"A market study conducted for the Center City Commission, for example, found 80 percent of Downtown residents want to see a major grocery store come to the area. And several people connected to or with knowledge of the Uptown project say a grocery store is on the way."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm...I guess most downtowners don't find the Kroger at Poplar and Cleveland close enough or safe enough for their primary grocery shopping. It's only a mile and a half from the downtown core, but it's hard to feel safe in there, and the service is pretty lousy.

I've become pretty partial to the Schnucks at Union/McLean which is about 3 miles from the downtown core. Locating a large-chain grocery in the Cascade development at Union/Fourth would be a pretty handy location.

Hmm...I guess most downtowners don't find the Kroger at Poplar and Cleveland close enough or safe enough for their primary grocery shopping. It's only a mile and a half from the downtown core, but it's hard to feel safe in there, and the service is pretty lousy.

I've become pretty partial to the Schnucks at Union/McLean which is about 3 miles from the downtown core. Locating a large-chain grocery in the Cascade development at Union/Fourth would be a pretty handy location.

That Kroger is poorly run. They carry low end products and cater to the food stamp crowd. I wish they would build a SuperTarget somewhere around here. My idea is to build it as part of the Dixie Homes redo.

I don't see why downtowners are so hung up on getting a grocery store, even in most neighborhoods, you're going to have to drive 5-10mins to get to a grocery store. and i'm sure a lot of people drive by grocery stores on their way home. Personnaly i find the Kroger at cleveland suitable. Downtowners should be used to diversity anyway

I don't see why downtowners are so hung up on getting a grocery store, even in most neighborhoods, you're going to have to drive 5-10mins to get to a grocery store. and i'm sure a lot of people drive by grocery stores on their way home. Personnaly i find the Kroger at cleveland suitable. Downtowners should be used to diversity anyway

I don't mind the clientele, but I wish you could find meat there that is edible. Maybe they could clean up the parking lot so it doesn't look like the service entrance to 201 Poplar. It would also help if I could load my groceries without some bum harrassing me for money.

from the Memphis Daily News... http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=94242

an excerpt from the article:

"A market study conducted for the Center City Commission, for example, found 80 percent of Downtown residents want to see a major grocery store come to the area. And several people connected to or with knowledge of the Uptown project say a grocery store is on the way."

lol only 80%? I'm always puzzled by polls like this...who are these 20% who don't want food to be available nearby? haha

I think that downtown needs a grocery store because the whole point is to have a community where everything is either in a walkable distance or available through public transportation. A lot of people downtown don't have cars. It is a very different model from the suburb where you have to drive to visit your neighbors :). An uptown grocery store doesn't really solve the walkable problem. I think that a store in the South Forum area would have been better. The CCC said that that was in the works according to the South Forum Redevelopment Plan.

Archived