Your ideas to improve Memphis

AmandaHugginkiss

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good points Clobber, and I may have my concerns in the wrong order but here is my reasoning:

1. Corruption and arrogance of local government - Until local government actually makes decisions based on the well being of the city, crime prevention and education will remain lacking. Memphis leaders have manipulated decisions that affect the city for so long that they feel untouchable and have become arrogant. These people need to be held accountable for their actions.

2. Crime - While it is true that an educated populace usually makes for a safer city, the educational system in Memphis is in serious disrepair. This will take many years to correct and in the meantime crime will only get worse. More officers are needed on the streets as Memphis already has a shortage of police officers.

3. Education - Once government is held accountable and the police force is more visible in the city, education should be the main concern.

This is all debatable but the main negative perception of Memphis is that of a dangerous, crime infested city with poor leadership. Over the last 6 months I have heard more about the crime rate, Harold Ford, and Willie Herenton than any other aspect of the city. If people feel they are in danger just by being in the city, you lose valuable tourism and tax dollars, and eventually people start moving out. Outside of working in Memphis, I almost never come to the city, based mainly on the crime rate.

Good points Clobber, and I may have my concerns in the wrong order but here is my reasoning:

If people feel they are in danger just by being in the city, you lose valuable tourism and tax dollars, and eventually people start moving out. Outside of working in Memphis, I almost never come to the city, based mainly on the crime rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is long - hopefully somebody will catch something interesting here...

2. All-out assault on crime. The single biggest knock that people have about Memphis, both locals and outsiders, is that it is a dangerous, crime-infested city. It doesn't matter how fair this assessment is (and the statistics suggest it is pretty darn fair) - perception is reality. To be specific, we must take control of our children. I can't believe I'm actual quoting something Hillary Clinton said, but in this case, it may actually "take a village" because we have so many irresponsible parents. In our schools, churches, neighborhoods, community centers, everywhere - children with deviant behavior tendencies must be identified, isolated, and brought under control in such a way that they aren't threats to anyone, and have a realistic chance for a life that doesn't involve crime, drugs, jail, and violent death. Memphis can no longer be a breeding ground for dangerous thugs.

I agree with everything in this paragraph. In order to put a severe dent in crime, it starts at the home. Children who have a positive home environment are less likely to turn to criminality because they have TWO parents, not one but BOTH parents in the house who care enough to question where their child goes, who he's with, etc. From then on that kid grows up to do well in school, graduate, etc. You have these sorry-a$$ men who get women pregnant and take off, leaving the mother to raise the child by herself. Studies have already confirmed what I previously stated that men who grow up without fathers are more prone to the street life. How a child is raised is synonymous with their future. At the same time, the 'hood is seen as a place with rampant hopelessness, despair & criminality. Someone who grows up around negativity will most likely see no way out and when they do, they turn to drug dealing/hustling to provide a way out. Another way Memphis can tackle its crime issue is by doing continuous sweeps of N. & S. Memphis, since that's where the bulk of Memphis' crime can be traced to.

You can't fix all these broken families. The solution is to keep these kids away from their poisonous parents. Extend the school day and require an after school activity or a job. Kids should be at school or work for at least 14 hours a day. Also, get rid of summer break and give them several short breaks during the year. That will help put them in a more positive environemnt.

The crime problem needs to be taken seriously.

You can bring in all of the biotech companies you want, build all the condos the market will support and the people out there committing crimes now will still commit them. You can't pretend its just going to go away if you build enough flashy attractions, look at Peabody Place or Beale St. these days - overrun with thugs.

Memphis is looked upon as a bit of a joke in the rest of the country. Corrupt, crime-ridden and unwilling to do a damn thing about it...but hey...they've got a stadium now! :rolleyes:

You can bring in all of the biotech companies you want, build all the condos the market will support and the people out there committing crimes now will still commit them. You can't pretend its just going to go away if you build enough flashy attractions, look at Peabody Place or Beale St. these days - overrun with thugs.

^Very well said. The biggest Memphis haters are in and around Memphis(though there are a fair share in TN outside of the area). One of the best things Memphis can do is get its citizens excited about the city again. This has happened in Chattanooga, Little Rock, Nashville, and Louisville and these cities either have or are beginning to show major improvements in growth, jobs, economy, and entertainment. Civic pride must be a priority for Memphis and Shelby County.

The crime problem needs to be taken seriously.

Memphis is looked upon as a bit of a joke in the rest of the country. Corrupt, crime-ridden and unwilling to do a damn thing about it...but hey...they've got a stadium now! :rolleyes:

^Very well said. The biggest Memphis haters are in and around Memphis(though there are a fair share in TN outside of the area). One of the best things Memphis can do is get its citizens excited about the city again. This has happened in Chattanooga, Little Rock, Nashville, and Louisville and these cities either have or are beginning to show major improvements in growth, jobs, economy, and entertainment. Civic pride must be a priority for Memphis and Shelby County.

I agree, of course, that crime is one of the major, if not THE major, problems facing Memphis now - but to be honest, as a newcomer to Memphis, it strikes me that Memphis is looked upon as a joke more by MEMPHIANS than the rest of the country. I've never met anyone who scorns this city as much as some of the local residents. My friends back in SF had no such negative reaction when I told them I was moving here. Ditto for family and friends in Boston. Ditto for every single person I've ever talked to about Memphis except people who do or have lived here - and a few other random folks with unusual knowledge about American cities.

I honestly think one of the biggest problems facing Memphis is its own inferiority complex. It's hard to improve a place when its own residents no longer believe redemption is possible.

S

Archived