Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolverine

Violence Rising Downtown?

8 posts in this topic

There is a topic over at DetroitYes on this, and other events, but I'm wondering if this is a pattern, or just a random spike? Until I see some stats, I'm not just going assume that it's a long-term pattern.

you would be safe to make an assumption otherwise. There is a confluence of alcohol and people in downtown detroit. The net result is almost always some form of violence.

I think it goes with the the fact that downtown Detroit has a lot more people visiting it on a daily basis. In any case, Downtown is still one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

Actually I was correlating the increase in violence with the increasing loss of jobs and social instability that that is affecting the welfare of Detroiters increasinly year after year. Typically unemoplyment is the catalyst behind rising crime.

But, unemployment has been hovering relatively steady for quite a few years now. There hasn't been much of a change either way. In terms of manufacturing, much of Michigan has already bottomed out. This is true for the Detroit area, especially. I think the unemployment has been at around 13-15% at least since 2000. Crime has also been dropping this decade, with rises last year, I believe, but nothing out of the ordinary. There seems to be this impression that the Michigan economy is still in a massive free fall, but the numbers show Michigan's unemployment quite a bit lower than in the 80's and early 90's, and not on some huge climb.

Michigan's unemployment rate is one of the highest in the nation, but it is still one of the lowest unemployments in decades.

Yeah, Michigan's is usually ranked somewhere between 48-50 (i.e. dead last). But, as you said, it's not unusual for Michigan, and it's been consistently lower than in the days of double-digit state unemployment we say in the 80's and early 90's.

As of July of this year, Michigan is ranked 49th with an umemployment rate of 7.0% (I think it inched up .1 % this month), Alaska also has 7.0% at 49th, and Mississippi is last with 8.0%.

Sometimes crime and unemployment lines up, and other times it doesn't. Detroit's manufacturing-heavy economy has been in the dumps for decades, and if anything, it's already emptied/bottomed out. I'm going to try and find Detroit's largest private employers has of this or last year.