Violence Rising Downtown?

wolverine

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, unemployment has been hovering relatively steady for quite a few years now. There hasn't been much of a change either way. In terms of manufacturing, much of Michigan has already bottomed out. This is true for the Detroit area, especially. I think the unemployment has been at around 13-15% at least since 2000. Crime has also been dropping this decade, with rises last year, I believe, but nothing out of the ordinary. There seems to be this impression that the Michigan economy is still in a massive free fall, but the numbers show Michigan's unemployment quite a bit lower than in the 80's and early 90's, and not on some huge climb.

Yeah, Michigan's is usually ranked somewhere between 48-50 (i.e. dead last). But, as you said, it's not unusual for Michigan, and it's been consistently lower than in the days of double-digit state unemployment we say in the 80's and early 90's.

As of July of this year, Michigan is ranked 49th with an umemployment rate of 7.0% (I think it inched up .1 % this month), Alaska also has 7.0% at 49th, and Mississippi is last with 8.0%.

Sometimes crime and unemployment lines up, and other times it doesn't. Detroit's manufacturing-heavy economy has been in the dumps for decades, and if anything, it's already emptied/bottomed out. I'm going to try and find Detroit's largest private employers has of this or last year.

Archived