Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sparky05

Weston Apartments Renovation

16 posts in this topic

Hey gang, I don't know what this is, but I see I beams sticking out of windows and assume there's some work going on. It's across fulton from the GRPD/City Centre/Whatever we call that thing...

242736990_e987a9ff7b.jpg

242737346_51c12be974.jpg

It's a low-income apartment building owned by Dwelling Place undergoing renovations.

Hopfully they are not shifting clientele. Low income people need a place to live too.

Hopfully they are not shifting clientele. Low income people need a place to live too.

It looks horrible on that one side, so maybe its just going to be some touch up work?

May the proposed development that is suppose to go on the vacant land next to that building will do a good job of obscuring that ugly side.

Maybe they're planning to fill in windows and such on that side for the building proposed in the blank lot. I would hate to see them work on the place and spruce up that side only to have it be covered up by another project.

I believe that due to structural problems, this entire wall will be coming down and it will be replaced with a new masonry wall with face brick.

The affected people have been temporarily relocated until this is complete.

The have gotten HPC approval and approval from the State Historic Preservation Office to complete this emergency repair.

What's the address/name of the building?

I believe its original name is the Corl-Knott Building, and it's now called Weston Apartments (along with its sister building at Ionia/Weston). Owned by Dwelling Place, and it will remain low-income apartments. I think I read last Summer that they received $2 - $3 Million from the State to do the renovations.

Official address is 21 Weston SW.

Perhaps we should change the name of the thread to reflect the name of the building...

Speaking of the Weston Apartments on Ionia, wasn't something supposed to happen on the ground floor there? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I believe its original name is the Corl-Knott Building, and it's now called Weston Apartments (along with its sister building at Ionia/Weston). Owned by Dwelling Place, and it will remain low-income apartments. I think I read last Summer that they received $2 - $3 Million from the State to do the renovations.

Official address is 21 Weston SW.

The Building directly across Commerce (25 Commerce) has a plaque calling it the Corl - Knott Building.

The Building directly across Commerce (25 Commerce) has a plaque calling it the Corl - Knott Building.

I know. This discussion came up a while ago that there are a number of buildings that were owned by Corl & Knott, like this one too:

130922027_dc870f031e.jpg

:dontknow:

I know. This discussion came up a while ago that there are a number of buildings that were owned by Corl & Knott, like this one too:

130922027_dc870f031e.jpg

:dontknow:

I like that one much better. :)

That is the Civic without a few floors on the top...

I like that one much better. :)

Would be nice if they re-added those floors, that is one nice looking building.