Huntsville Metro Public Transit

AlabamaGuy2007

Huntsville could take the lead in this, with a cutting edge well designed light rail line that initially runs from Bridge Street to Constellation

and to Parkway Place. Frequency would be key so a worker in Research Park could take the short train ride downtown to say Cheesecake Factory at Constellation for lunch and then return. Visitors to the Embassy Suite /Constellation/VBC could hop the train for shopping at Bridge Street or Parkway Place. Guests at the Westin could take the train downtown to attend a convention at the VBC. For people to use it in Huntsville it will have to be high tech(expensive probably) efficient, and cheap to ride ($1 a segment one way). It would have a feeder system of Shuttle routes . The actual cost and startup are probably the biggest obstacles. This is where Huntsville should have an advantage, there are plenty of

high tech deep pockets in the city that could make a private/corporate venture work.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALDOT should be planning now for potential LRT routes in Huntsville and the other Big 4 metros. The state should be securing rights of way, even if actual construction is decades away. If the state doesn't start buying now, the needed land will be prohibitively expensive years from now, and our officials are too chicken-sh*t to use eminent domain if it were needed.

If LRT were to be embraced anywhere in Alabama, Huntsville would be that place IMHO.

• 5 months later...

A city planning subcommittee reviewed plans today for A&M's new bus terminal. The new $250,000 terminal, to be located near the Quad of the university, will begin construction early next year and be completed in the summer. Here's an interesting little tidbit: "The university's transit system, now in its third year, averages 2,500 to 3,000 passengers a day." By comparison, the city-wide Shuttle gets maybe 1500-1800 riders daily. That's sad- and I never see riders on either system!

Huntsville Times blog article: City reviews plans for A&M bus terminal

There was an article in Thursday's Go magazine about the two downtown weekend trolleys that have run between restaurants, bars, hotels, and parking garages in the CBD, Five Points, and the Medical District from 7PM to 2AM Friday and Saturday for more than a year. And, like the weekday Shuttle system, it is seldom used. Consequently (not in the article, but on the city's website), there will be a public meeting next month (Jan. 3) on whether or not to discontinue one of the trolleys.

The Parking and Public Transit director for the city, Tommy Brown, says that the reason why the trolleys are not being used is because downtown has not yet reached a "critical mass" of entertainment options and residents. Maybe so, but I think another reason that could be fixed now is the lack of visible signage, stops, and route info. Same goes with the Shuttle system.

Huntsville Times/Go magazine article: Weekend trolley often lonely on trips through downtown

• 1 month later...

The problem with the Shuttle system is that it is set up as a shuttle service to shopping areas. The bus system serves a low-income demographic inside Huntsville. Most of the routes are a circuit, so in a lot of cases the routes are not direct enough. As jmanhsv said, the Shuttle system also doesn't serve Redstone Arsenal or the Research Park, nor does it extend outside of Huntsville where much of the traffic to Redstone and Research Park originates.

Before we start talking about LRT or commuter rail, I think it is important to establish a reliable bus system across Madison County. Park and ride lots would go a long way towards establishing the infrastructure necessary to implement a more effective bus system and, later, a LRT and commuter rail system. Circuit routes such as those already in place for the Shuttle system can be created inside the Research Park and inside Redstone Arsenal. Each of those circuit routes would be connected by connector routes that would run between park and ride lots or intermodal facilities inside each circuit. Inside MSFC a park-and-ride lot could also tie into the NASA taxi service that operates inside the center. Direct routes should be created from each part of the county to Redstone and the Research Park.

According to a UAH Exponent article, routes 3 (Holmes Ave./UAH), 4 (University Drive), T (Tourist Loop), and a new route (11?) will all stop at the new Bridge Street bus terminal when it opens either later this year or early next year. Also, the city has started implementing a bus location system which could eventually lead to "info kiosks" showing the time before the next bus (which would be really cool if they could get people to ride).

• 3 months later...

The city of Madison is starting a park and ride-share program June 2nd, using church parking lots around the city. The lots will be open from 6am-6pm.

Huntsville Times article

One flaw to this, and it's the same flaw the Shuttle system has- it closes too early. And even if it did close later, maybe 8 or 9 pm, this will only solve a small portion of the problem. What Madison really needs is connections to the Shuttle system. Maybe the proposed Bridge Street transit center will speed that up.

• 1 month later...

Shuttle Bus ridership has risen 5% in the past few months, but city leaders want to know why it hasn't increased more with the higher gas prices. There are many reasons why this is so, but I think Councilman Mark Russell summarized it well:

"Either the citizens don't know about it or it's not going to the places they want it to," Russell said after the City Council meeting Thursday night.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2008/07/city_l...bus_riders.html

And in a somewhat related topic, Tommy Battle has made transit one of his major points in his campaign for mayor: http://tommybattle.com/battle_plan/#Public (NOTE: I do not work for his campaign, nor do I support him. Heck, I don't even live within city limits.)

• 3 weeks later...

The new Bridge Street/Research Park bus route began service today. It runs in a loop between UAH's new parking garage (opening in September, I think) and the Wal-Mart on University, with stops at Calhoun, the Sherwood Park neighborhood, Bridge Street, CRP West, and Westside Pavilion (Target).

Route Map

I think that, along with the park and rides being built at Bridge Street and UAH, the city could set up some agreement where people would be able to use a portion of the parking lots at either the Wal-Mart or Target on University as makeshift park and rides. And while I think this is a step in the right direction, it would be better to run the loop until 9 or 10 pm (or whenever Bridge Street closes), which would increase effectiveness for UAH students as well.

• 4 months later...
Shuttle Bus ridership has risen 5% in the past few months, but city leaders want to know why it hasn't increased more with the higher gas prices. There are many reasons why this is so, but I think Councilman Mark Russell summarized it well:

"Either the citizens don't know about it or it's not going to the places they want it to," Russell said after the City Council meeting Thursday night.

• 5 months later...

Archived