Perkins Rowe

richyb83

Have any of you guys been by Perkins Rowe lately? I cruised by there over the weekend and it looks like CVS and Starbucks should be open for business sometime later this month. It is really looking good over.

I see this area everyday, construction is moving along nicely. Last week I saw a helicopter lifting something. I don't know if it was air conditioner or an elevator. I watched a building over 700 ft constructed and they didn't use heli, but they probably did. :offtopic:

CC's now has a friend across the street. Oh yea and Bally's suppose to move into the new gym, the temp one is too tiny to even appreciate.

All Hail the Rowe!

I see this area everyday, construction is moving along nicely. Last week I saw a helicopter lifting something. I don't know if it was air conditioner or an elevator.

Do you rememeber what building it was lifting to?

You must take some pictures for us when you get the chance. I hardly ever get to see it. My mom is terrified of Perkins/Bluebonnet intersection.

Edited by dan326

Do you rememeber what building it was lifting to?

You must take some pictures for us when you get the chance. I hardly ever get to see it. My mom is terrified of Perkins/Bluebonnet intersection.

It dropped off the package at the building that's bordering Perkins Road (across from Rasin' Cane's) if I am not mistaking.

That intersection is something else, I'm sure it will get much more skarier when the construction get's started.

It dropped off the package at the building that's bordering Perkins Road (across from Rasin' Cane's) if I am not mistaking.

That intersection is something else, I'm sure it will get much more skarier when the construction get's started.

Help!! I reserved a condo at Perkins Rowe back in Dec. 2005 at $153k for a 1 bedroom. I received a letter dated March 1st that since Katrina and Construction costs skyrocketed then there will be a 25-35% increase in prices and we can confirm our reservations with these price increases! Can they do that? Anybody else had the same letter? Can we file a class action lawsuit?

Vinny

Did you ever sign a contract?? If you did, check and see if the rate that they orginally gave you was fixed or not. If the rate they gave you is not fixed, then there really isn't much you can do about it.

I am not an attorney, so I really don't know.

An article back in January in the Austin Chronicle that I read yesterday; I was suprised that even the Austin "boom" will be slowing down due construction co$t increase.

Did you ever sign a contract?? If you did, check and see if the rate that they orginally gave you was fixed or not. If the rate they gave you is not fixed, then there really isn't much you can do about it.

I am not an attorney, so I really don't know.

An article back in January in the Austin Chronicle that I read yesterday; I was suprised that even the Austin "boom" will be slowing down due construction co$t increase.

It was a Reservation contract but it didn't have the price just the condo number. I thought the whole idea of reserving a spot was to lock in the rate and condo before a price increase. I think I just lost like 50k! :(

:D :D :D

Second phase of Perkins Rowe to start

The bulk of the Perkins Rowe development is still under construction, but plans are already underway for a second phase for the urban village at the corner of Perkins Road and Bluebonnet Boulevard. Tommy Spinosa, owner and manager of JTS, says work on a 15-acre tract behind Perkins Rowe should start late this year or in early 2008. The second phase will consist of two hotels, two office buildings and 60,000 to 80,000 square feet of retail space. The first few tenants in Perkins Rowe are open, such as Starbucks Coffee, but Spinosa says the rest should be operating by August. Spinosa, who made his comments at a speech that was part of the Flores MBA Program's Distinguished Speaker Series at LSU, also says ground will be broken soon on the final undeveloped tract of land in his 70-acre CitiPlace development, when construction starts on a 135-unit loft building.

Tenants:

Fashion Apparel & Accessories

• Anthropologie
  • Urban Outfitters
  • Orvis
  • BCBG
  • BCBG Girls
  • Guess
  • J Crew
  • White House Black Market
  • Wish
  • Duo
  • Lucky Brand
  • Francesca's
  • Frock Candy
  • Bain & Company Apothecary

Day Spa/Salons

• Bumble Lane Spa
  • Nails So Happy

Cinemas

• Cinemark Theatres

Bookstore

• Barnes & Noble

Health & Fitness

• Bally Total Fitness

Convenience/Pharmacy

• CVS Drugstore

Grocery

• The Fresh Market

Restaurants/Coffee Shop/Ice Cream

• Texas de Brazil
  • Red Star Tavern
  • La Madeleine Bakery
  • Starbucks
  • The Grape
  • Fish City Grill
  • Melt Gelato

Home Wares

• Z Gallerie

Edited by dan326

Perkins Rowe is coming along nicely. I wish they would hurry up and decide on the "Connector" road between Perkins and Picardy on the eastern edge of the site. Then they can start on the condo towers. But the new lofts and brownstones will cool. That crazy to think you can actually live above a Barnes & Noble. Perkins Road will be a nightmare for traffic for the next couple of years until they finish the 5-lanes of construction for 3.2 miles between Essen and Siegen.

I agree with brresident; Perkins Rowe could have easily worked at the Southgate Towers current location.

Edited by richyb83

Perkins Rowe is coming along nicely. I wish they would hurry up and decide on the "Connector" road between Perkins and Picardy on the eastern edge of the site. Then they can start on the condo towers. But the new lofts and brownstones will cool. That crazy to think you can actually live above a Barnes & Noble. Perkins Road will be a nightmare for traffic for the next couple of years until they finish the 5-lanes of construction for 3.2 miles between Essen and Siegen.

I agree with brresident; Perkins Rowe could have easily worked at the Southgate Towers current location.

Haha sometimes I get the feeling Towne Center and Perkins Rowe should switch places. But wouldn't it be cool if Perkins Rowe just combined w/ Towne Center on Corporate Blvd! Suppose I'm biased since Towne Centers' location is more convenient for students.

I read an articlue today in the newspaper today that was a little bit better wordered and the second phase is a completely other phase than the one currently under construction, so that means two new hotels and more retail! :D

EDIT:

A second phase could begin by early next year on a 15-acre tract adjacent to the Perkins Rowe development on Perkins Road and Bluebonnet Boulevard. Spinosa said negotiations are ongoing, but the next phase could include two hotels, at least two office buildings and between 60,000 and 80,000 square feet of more retail space.
Edited by dan326

• 3 weeks later...

I passed by perkins rowe the day before yesterday, and most of the construction is finished, frame wise anyway. It is an awsome accomplishment for the south end of town. "a little city within a city"..

You are exactly right..it's basically a city in the suburbs. This a "big-time" project that will change the way the small-town country people think. The folk in cookie-cutter subdivision Wembeldon Estates should feel blessed such a nice project is being built, instead of complaining NIMBY's. They should have had more vision (a stretch for some people who look at life thru a straw) that that area would grow-up one day. They could have built anything there like a meat-packing plant or car-deadership then they would have reason to complain; they don't know how good they got it.

Edited by richyb83

Perkins Rowe: UPDATE

Perkins Rowe

Aerial photo in local suburban newspaper's story on the mixed use development.

Scan0001.gif

A Sunday drive and photos of the amazing amount of ongoing construction at Perkins Rowe...

Wells Fargo Building

DSCN0974.jpg

retail fronting on Bluebonnet, including one of seven new Starbuck's to open this year in southern areas of city.

DSCN0973.jpg

residential above retail

DSCN0977.jpg

DSCN0985.jpg

location of future Town Square

DSCN0984.jpg

DSCN0982.jpg

DSCN0980.jpg

DSCN0979.jpg

DSCN0978.jpg

DSCN0977.jpg

future home of The Fresh Market, sort of Whole Foods of the South.

DSCN0976.jpg

Edited by fla_tiger

Thanks so much Fla.Tiger for going out to the Rowe and taking all those pics :thumbsup: It's really coming along nicely!!! The Wells Fargo bldg. looks nice and nearly complete in the 2nd pic. What a cool thing to have residential lofts above the Barnes & Noble. I can't what to see what Phase II will look like. Soon the city in the suburbs is going to be worth the visit. I like the density too!

The open area in the 6th and 7th pics is where the Town Square will be.

With the narrow streets the speed limit should be 20mph IMO.; if it's to be pedestrian friendly. For now that one open street to the NeuroMedical Center had been 30mph. Too fast IMO :stop:

• 1 month later...

The layout for Perkins Rowe has change. The most major are elimination of almost all residential only and hotel only buildings and more multilevel parking.

Less major changes are the addition of another hotel,the building at the end of the main avenue divided into two, and the replacement of the park. I wouldn't worry though,they will most likely put all the stuff taken out back in Phase 2. D

untitledjb6.png

Looks like they added Magnolia Square to the right of the Town Square. So no condo towers huh?? And where will the Perkins-Picardy connector road go?? Guess on the eastern edge(right) not shown. I see a road with bridge going over the creek, that can't be it.

They could widen the creek into a waterway with water taxi's; build more condo's on the north-side.

All in all great looking project and something different for Baton Rouge. Wish they would build one near LSU somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Plan for the Perkins-Picardy Connector:

http://greenlight.csrsonline.com/vdocs/135/ConceptPlan.pdf

4 lane concrete road with raised median, curb/gutter, subsurface drainage, and sidewalks. It's been moved to hug the eastern edge of Perkins Rowe and will have an outlet into Wimbledon Subdivision at Maureen Connolly street. It will include a traffic light at the widened perkins road.

The "green space" btw Perkins Rowe and the subdivision desired by Wimbledon residents is now the new Perkins-Picardy Connector. They probably hate that, but they will like how fast they can get to the mall and I am sure they will enjoy being able to walk to Perkins Rowe.

I have my doubts as to how wide they want to make this road. I don't think there is room (or the need) for a 30' wide median. I am glad they are planning sidewalks and landscaping, though. The total width of the right of way will be 125'. I think the setbacks in Perkins Rowe was changed by the city to zero lot lines, so they can still build right up to the sidewalk if there is demand for that. I am guessing that that is phase 2 of Perkins rowe, though.

It also looks like the businesses on Perkins road near the connector are going to be right on the street. It looks like they are using all the right of way they can. I guess it's needed, though...

Edited by brresident