Perkins Rowe

richyb83

^ Your not kiddin'....with the still growing Towne Center; Perkins Rowe; and The Boulevard. BR is definetly taking it to the next level! Just wait til The Grove is complete.

I have also heard of a place in the Metroplex mentioned called Addison; I hear it's really nice! Some slow folks around BR complaining about the density and style of Perkins Rowe...too bad! It's just what BR needs!

Yeah lots of people want to complain about the density of the new developments like Perkins Rowe and Rouzan. It's the lack of density that has caused the BR suburban sprawl problem that has led to our traffic problems. I see nothing wrong with the density of Perkins Rowe or Rouzan. I'd love to live in a development where I know when I get home I don't have to get in the car again and still be able to do everything I need to do. I really wish Towne Center would have been more like Perkins Rowe with condos and lofts on top of the retail. I say fill all our undeveloped land with developments like Perkins Rowe or Towne Center.

^Agreed! It seems like city leaders and developers finally get it these days. Smart Growth is the trend in the Capitol region. It's uninformed NIMBY's that try to stop progress. It looks as though BR's larger undeveloped tracts of land are trying to do exactly that! Maybe those people will get it when gasoline is $4 a gallon going on $5. <_< Then maybe they will walk more in these new developments!

My wife and I always thought that would be cool if Towne Center had lofts above the retail. They really do need consider walking paths connecting for the three big residential condo projects(The Reserve @ Cedar Lodge; Millenium; and The Enclave) to the Towne Center near the new Books-A-Million! The walking path would weave it's way behind the Residence Inn Marriott; with the narrow strip of land they could save the green space and add a small lake with fountains and park benches and lamp-post. That would make it a more "true" Towne Center.

Thanks for the Addison pics BRPJ, looks nice!

Edited by richyb83

Well I jus took A WALK and went into a few stores inside perkins rowe..and all i have to say is WOW...is this Baton Rouge???...the Movie Theaters is comming along great.. but it's a strip in the middle that reminds me of being in a major city..i Love it..and can't wait till it's finished....the only FLAW i see happening is.......PARKING!!!!!!!!! i parked in the garage free...today but when it gets busy...Parking will Fill quickly...I say he needs to purchase land some were along Perkins...and have a Major Parking Lot Built with Busses or vans Transporting people...even if it's 50 cents to $1....but everything else....PERFECT

Well I jus took A WALK and went into a few stores inside perkins rowe..and all i have to say is WOW...is this Baton Rouge???...the Movie Theaters is comming along great.. but it's a strip in the middle that reminds me of being in a major city..i Love it..and can't wait till it's finished....the only FLAW i see happening is.......PARKING!!!!!!!!! i parked in the garage free...today but when it gets busy...Parking will Fill quickly...I say he needs to purchase land some were along Perkins...and have a Major Parking Lot Built with Busses or vans Transporting people...even if it's 50 cents to $1....but everything else....PERFECT

Yeah I am a bit concerned with parking myself. I did find out when I talked to the guy in the sales office that all the residents have their own parking garage. Their parking is all underground. That was my biggest question with him, "if residents had their own parking?" I know if I were a resident I would not want to fight for parking. So I'm sure the condo "towers" will also have their own parking.

Yeah I am a bit concerned with parking myself. I did find out when I talked to the guy in the sales office that all the residents have their own parking garage. Their parking is all underground. That was my biggest question with him, "if residents had their own parking?" I know if I were a resident I would not want to fight for parking. So I'm sure the condo "towers" will also have their own parking.

yea...i didn't notice it till i looked hard....the people who will be living in perkins rowe have parking Underground....i seen that all over the place....but for regular visitors..i only say like 3 or 4 parking garages.

and the one i parked in was only 2 floors...the others were much bigger but 1 of em was already full with cars..and i happen to see the Same car(that Yellow Bug) in the tall parking garage all the time..so im assuming that it's workers

if only this could happen this is My Plan

i would love to see light rails run down bluebonnet & and coursey Blvd.

1 going down the Airline strip

1 Going down the Florida Blvd strip to downtown and curve on river rd. and come back up government st.

1 down perkins rd...But that ain't happening

it's more streets ill run them on...but i ain't gon get into detail

yea...i didn't notice it till i looked hard....the people who will be living in perkins rowe have parking Underground....i seen that all over the place....but for regular visitors..i only say like 3 or 4 parking garages.

and the one i parked in was only 2 floors...the others were much bigger but 1 of em was already full with cars..and i happen to see the Same car(that Yellow Bug) in the tall parking garage all the time..so im assuming that it's workers

if only this could happen this is My Plan

i would love to see light rails run down bluebonnet & and coursey Blvd.

1 going down the Airline strip

1 Going down the Florida Blvd strip to downtown and curve on river rd. and come back up government st.

1 down perkins rd...But that ain't happening

it's more streets ill run them on...but i ain't gon get into detail

I don't ever see the day when BR has light rail. They can't get the bus system to function correctly. I have always said this city isn't set up correctly for mass transit. We built when the car made it possible to get around so everything was built in that mind set. Had Florida Blvd had the median all the way into downtown light rail could have possibly worked. Alot of the problem, not for the busses but, for cars is the fact that there is no "pull off" area for them, they stop traffic when they have to make a stop. I think some kind of light rail could possibly work on the tracts that disect Siegen, Bluebonnet, Essen, etc..... I think at each one of the major streets they should have a parking lot, then they could do a park n ride type thing. It could work......

I don't ever see the day when BR has light rail. They can't get the bus system to function correctly. I have always said this city isn't set up correctly for mass transit. We built when the car made it possible to get around so everything was built in that mind set. Had Florida Blvd had the median all the way into downtown light rail could have possibly worked. Alot of the problem, not for the busses but, for cars is the fact that there is no "pull off" area for them, they stop traffic when they have to make a stop. I think some kind of light rail could possibly work on the tracts that disect Siegen, Bluebonnet, Essen, etc..... I think at each one of the major streets they should have a parking lot, then they could do a park n ride type thing. It could work......

yeap

Edited by Louisiana Thunder

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah you right Bryde. It is almost unbelievable! The density is impressive. I like the street grid too. One could not guess they were in BR if I stuck them in the middle of Perkins Rowe. The 40'ft.? Palm trees lining the street set it off!!

It's exceeded my expectations driving thru there and like you said, it's not even finished! Can't wait to see what the next Phase will look like! Park Rowe Ave. is still filing up! When you take the right turn onto Jackson Street, then a left onto Perkins Rowe it's a jaw-dropper looking far down of nothing but buildings!

The lofts set this thing off. I like the way Barnes & Noble has entrances on both sides; I only wish it was two stories lke the one in CitiPlace. But the lofts above more than make-up for it!

Also an impressive list of new restaurants and retail new to the area.

Edited by richyb83

Yeah you right Bryde. It is almost unbelievable! The density is impressive. I like the street grid too. One could not guess they were in BR if I stuck them in the middle of Perkins Rowe. The 40'ft.? Palm trees lining the street set it off!!

It's exceeded my expectations driving thru there and like you said, it's not even finished! Can't wait to see what the next Phase will look like! Park Rowe Ave. is still filing up! When you take the right turn onto Jackson Street, then a left onto Perkins Rowe it's a jaw-dropper looking far down of nothing but buildings!

The lofts set this thing off. I like the way Barnes & Noble has entrances on both sides; I only wish it was two stories lke the one in CitiPlace. But the lofts above more than make-up for it!

Also an impressive list of new restaurants and retail new to the area.

I have to agree totally this thing has more than exceeded my expectations. I had no idea it would be this nice. Those palm trees really do set it off, along with that huge chandelier. Oh I have a pic of that that I need to post on here LOL Course those people who live in the houses next too are truely pi$$ed with it. LOL Especially with the prospect of the 9 story condo units that are planned for the back corner. LOL They are stupid do they not realize they can walk to this!!!! I really wish we could expand this development all the way to the mall, that would be AWESOME!!!!

Are the 8 or 9-story condo's back on the drawing board?? I hope so, sorry to the residents in Wimbeldon Estates. They should have known better; bec. many years ago Swaggart got the land in the area rezoned for those 12-story dorms.

That would be nice to see Perkins Rowe extended out to the Mall of La. At least with more mid-rise condo's in those parking lots lined up like a village-type setting. They could fix-up Dawson Creek too.

Are the 8 or 9-story condo's back on the drawing board?? I hope so, sorry to the residents in Wimbeldon Estates. They should have known better; bec. many years ago Swaggart got the land in the area rezoned for those 12-story dorms.

That would be nice to see Perkins Rowe extended out to the Mall of La. At least with more mid-rise condo's in those parking lots lined up like a village-type setting. They could fix-up Dawson Creek too.

From what I understand the developer once made a comment that zoning actually allowed for buildings upwards of 20 stories. I certainly don't think something that tall should be built there, it would totally look out of place. Kind of like the Marriott looks out of place LOL......

From what I understand the developer once made a comment that zoning actually allowed for buildings upwards of 20 stories. I certainly don't think something that tall should be built there, it would totally look out of place. Kind of like the Marriott looks out of place LOL......

I don't think the marriot looks out of place. I actually think the marriot is great where it is, because it makes Baton Rouge seem like a bigger city, having a high rise that tall outside of the city center. While I'd perfer any building 20 stories at this point to be built downtown.... I wouldn't mind one in perkins rowe at all.

Actually it would be nice If there were more high rise buildings off of I-10 like the shaw building. If they built a high rise off of 1-10 between bluebonnet and essen on that empty lot, that would fit perfectly

Edited by BRPJ

I don't think the marriot looks out of place. I actually think the marriot is great where it is, because it makes Baton Rouge seem like a bigger city, having a high rise that tall outside of the city center. While I'd perfer any building 20 stories at this point to be built downtown.... I wouldn't mind one in perkins rowe at all.

Actually it would be nice If there were more high rise buildings off of I-10 like the shaw building. If they built a high rise off of 1-10 between bluebonnet and essen on that empty lot, that would fit perfectly

I disagree. While having tall buildings outside of the CBD does give the appearance of having a larger more suburban city(houston for example), it is only true if there are tall buildings in the CBD too! lol. Cities are defined by their downtowns and because of all the suburban high rises, our downtown is lacking and dosnt give justice to our city and downtown skylines are how cities are judged. Just imagine what downtown BR would look like if all of our suburban high rises were in downtown. Sure, its cool to see Shaw Plaza while down I-10, but think about how much cooler it would be if it, the marriot, jacob's plaza, etc, where all closer to downtown or in downtown. Our skyline wouldnt be so whimpy. But fortunately, we are headed in the other direction with all the big developments going on downtown! If only Preis can get his act together, and last i heard from WHL architects, they were still planning on releasing the new and final rendering of River Place at the beginng of next year. Keep your fingers crossed, lol

I disagree. While having tall buildings outside of the CBD does give the appearance of having a larger more suburban city(houston for example), it is only true if there are tall buildings in the CBD too! lol. Cities are defined by their downtowns and because of all the suburban high rises, our downtown is lacking and dosnt give justice to our city and downtown skylines are how cities are judged. Just imagine what downtown BR would look like if all of our suburban high rises were in downtown. Sure, its cool to see Shaw Plaza while down I-10, but think about how much cooler it would be if it, the marriot, jacob's plaza, etc, where all closer to downtown or in downtown. Our skyline wouldnt be so whimpy. But fortunately, we are headed in the other direction with all the big developments going on downtown! If only Preis can get his act together, and last i heard from WHL architects, they were still planning on releasing the new and final rendering of River Place at the beginng of next year. Keep your fingers crossed, lol

yeah i agree that they all could have been downtown to make a denser skyline, but hopefully we will get what wee need downtown, and we will be so ahead with our suburban highrises.

Great topic! I enjoy this stuff!!!*see my last post on Plan BR thread* I have often imagined if I took all the taller buildings around BR and put them downtown what the skyline might look like??

Agreed with both of yall! Having a strong core of high/mid-rises in downtown tends to define a city and it's skyline. But having some tall buildings scattered around the city does give the impression of a bigger city too. I like the Marriott's striking presence when coming from the(east) 10-12 split. It tells you your are in a city! I wish a hotel of that height was also somewhere along the riverfront downtown.

Downtown BR's Skyline has suffered for 2 reasons:(like yall said) because the taller buildings went outside the CBD (Marriott, Jacobs, Shaw, old Republic Tower(now Dean Plaza), Woodale Office Bldg etc... And all the failed attempts in the 80's Fidelity Tower(30-stories), Centroplex Towers(23-stories), and Laurel Plaza(26-stories) in 99'. Had these failed projects actually been built downtown, BR would have a nice skyline; even with the others high-rises still scattered around the city. + then add II City Plaza, new Courthouse and River Place!!! Could you imagine what BR could look like??

Oh yeah..this is the Perkins Rowe thread :lol: I think with the size of the massive, dense project; it could easily support something at least 12-stories and not look out of place with the Bluebonnet Towers and future Radisson nearby.

Still no word on the W aLoft at Esplanade?? Limited parking is a problem; I say throw away the 5-story prototype and go more vertical/sleek for parking's sake. Make it 10-14 stories; next to the Marriott, the Marriott needs a companion and might not seem outta place as it is to some.

Edited by richyb83

Oh yeah..this is the Perkins Rowe thread :lol: I think with the size of the massive, dense project; it could easily support something at least 12-stories and not look out of place with the Bluebonnet Towers and future Radisson nearby.

I was about to say the same thing.....the hospital in perkins rowe stands tall......the dorms and the rennisance hotel will help it fit into place....Bluebonnet, segin, perkins, and essen

all thoes areas are going to turn into a area like houston......like downtown is one thing ...but it's another CBD on the other side of town...like where the gallaria is....thats where i rememner that california Pizza Kitchen from in houston...and look...now we have one in PERKINS ROWE which is part.....New Home Named 2nd CDB

I was about to say the same thing.....the hospital in perkins rowe stands tall......the dorms and the rennisance hotel will help it fit into place....Bluebonnet, segin, perkins, and essen

all thoes areas are going to turn into a area like houston......like downtown is one thing ...but it's another CBD on the other side of town...like where the gallaria is....thats where i rememner that california Pizza Kitchen from in houston...and look...now we have one in PERKINS ROWE which is part.....New Home Named 2nd CDB

Exactly. Its like a real shopping district, and alot of business, and hospitals, you name it, all in this small area. I can see a couple of high rises going up and it will really be like uptown in houston on a Baton Rouge Level of course.

Exactly. Its like a real shopping district, and alot of business, and hospitals, you name it, all in this small area. I can see a couple of high rises going up and it will really be like uptown in houston on a Baton Rouge Level of course.

A few fancy mid-rises right there near the Picardy overpass would look cool on the interstate. I think they are building mostly condos there, though.

Spinning off of Houson's uptown, I think it be great if Baton Rouge branded this area as a shopping district. It gives it more hype and appeal. They should extend Picardry to perkins. And decorate the whole area with palm trees and magnolia trees. The could put up really nice signs that label it "southside district" or something to that effect. I think as far as tourism they could really market the area, as such. And when people come into the area with the picardy extension, it will give the feel of a centralized area. It could look like this... or similar..

alexan_post_oak.jpg

Uptown_photo_10.jpg

0.jpg

Here's a little map i did, sketching the district. The roads with blue were obviously additions i made to the map.

The district should include the whole block of Blubonnet to perkins to picardy to I -10, with the exception of World ministries, and the neigborhoods on the right.

southsidedistrict.jpg

Edited by BRPJ

Spinning off of Houson's uptown, I think it be great if Baton Rouge branded this area as a shopping district. It gives it more hype and appeal. They should extend Picardry to perkins. And decorate the whole area with palm trees and magnolia trees. The could put up really nice signs that label it "southside district" or something to that effect. I think as far as tourism they could really market the area, as such. And when people come into the area with the picardy extension, it will give the feel of a centralized area. It could look like this... or similar..

alexan_post_oak.jpg

Uptown_photo_10.jpg

0.jpg

Here's a little map i did, sketching the district. The roads with blue were obviously additions i made to the map.

The district should include the whole block of Blubonnet to perkins to picardy to I -10, with the exception of World ministries, and the neigborhoods on the right.

southsidedistrict.jpg

I love those signs in Houston's Uptown. :)

Me too Brian, those signs add some flair to Uptown Houston. The Williams Tower sure is impressive too; claims to be the Tallest Skyscraper outside any CBD.

Thanks for the graphics BRPJ. Good idea! Actually the Picardy/Perkins Connector(4-lane w/median) Road is part of the Green Light Plan; it will extend on the east-side of Perkins Rowe. No doubt this connection should be made special! There is alot to this route, eventhough it's fairly short. A R.R. Underpass w/ embankments and a new bridge over Dawson Creek. So it could take more time.

So much of that World Ministry in the back is just a huge surface parking lot area; it would be nice to see some mid-rise 8 to 12 stories condo's there.

There's some prime undeveloped land (no trees) on Bluebonnet across from the Mall of La. at Picardy; between Oscner/General Hosp. and the R.R./old Advocate printing plant. Wonder what might be considered being built there??

Edited by richyb83

alexan_post_oak.jpg

Uptown_photo_10.jpg

0.jpg

southsidedistrict.jpg

I used to live right there at Post Oak / Westheimer area in Houston. If you have to take the plunge to live in Houston, the galleria district is pretty cool. Those signs would be pretty cool in Baton Rouge. Williams tower is pretty neat (formerly TransCo tower). I am not sure of the height, but it's one of the tallest in Houston. Because of it's location uptown, where most towers are btw 12-30 stories, it's visible thorughout west houston. I could see them from my office at BP Plaza (Eldrige @ the Katy freeway) when I worked there. That's a solid 15 miles away!

It's funny that everyone shouts that we need sidewalks and crosswalks and what not. There were plent of sidewalks in both Westchase and the Galleria district, but I never used them. I was too afraid to cross big streets like Westheimer or Richmond on foot for fear of being hit by a pickup truck. There were car accidents in that area every day....

I don't think that I'd cross Picardy or Bluebonnet on foot even if there were crosswalks. Maybe a skybridge would work.

Yeah. That side of Bluebonnet can be the shopping district (let them get creative with the name). The other side of Bluebonnet can be the Medical district.

I think that area is going to become the "Perkins Rowe" area.

Edited by cajun